-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
Gila Community News
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: crow
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:39 pm 
At the end of October I received, anonymously, 2 inter office memos addressed to John Saari then Grant County Manager detailing 5 years of unaccounted for money totaling $21,133,725.63 ($21 Million+). The money was from the Indigent Care Fund which was supplied by the NM Sole Provider Fund to Grant County and then given to the hospital (GRMC) as needed.

The first memo below written in 2006 says that $1,037,297.59 out of the $4.9 Million given to GRMC was unaccounted for in fiscal year 2005-2006.

The second memo below was written in 2010 and itemizes the missing funds for all 5 fiscal years adding up to the $21 Million+.

By early 2013 the public became aware that GRMC was $9 Million in debt and over the next few months the Board of Trustees were forced out after which all the top administrators were replaced. The deficit was fixed by cutting programs etc and now GRMC wants to raise property taxes by $3.3 Million a year; but what about the missing $21 Million? And does this problem still persist?

On November 1 at about 1am I sent a records request (IPRA) to the county attorney Abby Robinson and GRMC Board member Mike Morones and County Commission Chairman Bret Kasten inquiring if and how these funds were either accounted for or recovered. A few days later I received a letter from the county attorney dated November 1 (same day) which stated that my request was "excessively burdensome" and they needed more time but would get back with me by January 3, 2017.

Author: timothius
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:29 am 
Thanks for publishing this.

Author: judithelise
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:05 pm 
This reminds me of something on the news recently ...... Oh of course.. It was the FBI coming up with last minute charges about Hillary's emails(again) with what can only be a sneaky attempt to discredit her. I just don't understand the motives here. With a vote coming up tomorrow for the mill levy is this a last ditch attempt to discredit GRMC's management team? Even though they have done an incredible job in the last two years of keeping the hospital that we all depend on economically viable so we can continue to receive the kind of care here that most other rural communities have no access to? You guys should do your research before you cut off your nose despite your face. There are many, many small town hospitals that have had to close their doors because of the ever shifting changes in funding sources. I for one really want to see my small town hospital continue to provide big town care in this ever changing and uncertain environment. Perhaps you don't....I don't know.

Author: frances
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:33 am 
Maybe there is some undermining going on, maybe not. This article if true/able to be followed up upon is of interest to me and I think would be to others. None of us want to go down some rabbit hole...but where are these sizeable amounts of cash? No need to defame the righteous...however if we are as a community suffering from some wrongdoing best get to the bottom of it. I know enough people who qualify as "indigent"; they are not sleeping under a bridge. Any an all monies allotted to our community for healthcare needs to be accounted for because we desperately need it. Is not this reality
BURDENSOME?

Author: EGGreen
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:27 am 
If we "Follow the money", where does it go? Where did all this $$ go?
Yeah, we want our healthcare providers, but/and we also want accountability from those who manage the resources. Seriously. Sincerely.

Author: desertbloom
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:44 pm 
Hello, fellow Silver City residents,
I am frankly happy that the hospital mil levy increase did not pass. This is NOT because I want to see us lose the fine hospital facilities we have here, but my viewpoint has to do with a couple of different issues. First, as has been discussed earlier, the GRMC DOES need to be responsible with, and accountable for the monies it is given to operate, (from ALL sources), and this accounting should be available with past and current figures, in order for the public to see how the hospital is spending these funds.

In other words...it seems that the staff who run GRMC have (apparently) been lax in the bookkeeping and accountability of the flow of these monies... for YEARS, as evidenced by the 21 MILLION dollars which has not be accounted for. It is time to figure out WHERE all this money went missing. (before actually GIVING additional money...). This is only sensible, and prudent. Nobody wants to invest their money into a business which cannot provide accurate and up-to date financial records... which actually BALANCE.

Secondly, the entire voting scenario on this issue was illegal (according to state law) anyway... because according to the particular state law which spells out WHO can vote on issues which will raise the mil levy and subsequent property taxes on those who own REAL property within Silver City,... ONLY property owners can vote on these. This makes sense, because the property owners of any town or city own the real value of the town itself. Those who do not own property within the voting area have no financial stake in the outcome, but the owners of Real property within this voting area DO. The vote will affect the tax burden ONLY on property owners. Therefore, common sense (and state law) say that ONLY the people who are at risk of incurring additional tax expense, in the form of property tax increases.... can vote on this issue... and NOT the general public.

I understand that the mil levy increase scenario.... is an EASY way to attempt to raise money for a community project, however, it is my opinion that some other revenue stream should be tapped, in order to fund the hospital, (or any other totally worthwhile project which is undertaken by our town.... or any town). There must be some other way ahead to obtain the money AND make funding come from a source .... which is equally shared by ALL the citizens of a town or area who will be using the facility.

At the core of this issue is a BIG NEED to create a mechanism which will spread the burden of funding these sorts of projects... to ALL areas which are served by the hospital, and not JUST via the property owners of Silver City. It is a conundrum, because I also do not want to see the current gross receipts tax for Silver City ... (which is already 8%)... to increase further. (I also know that when gross receipts tax liability is increased, it usually becomes a PERMANENT increase, which is never reduced, even though the original need for money has already been fulfilled.

If anyone can offer an alternative method (besides increasing property taxes OR increasing gross receipts taxes), I would love to hear some new ideas on here, so we can perhaps, find other funding ideas for the hospital... AND read suggestions about exactly HOW the hospital can be funded. Bottom line is: GRMC must be required to give an accounting of WHERE the missing 21 MILLION dollars went.... (for past years).... and also how to put into place stricter "funds flow" bookkeeping, and legal requirements for the hospital... (so that future funding is contingent on an accurate accounting of ALL money given to the hospital).

Here are a couple interesting links.... to alternative hospital operation MODELS... and funding sources.

https://www.bridgespan.org/insights/lib ... ing-models

http://www.sustainabilityroadmap.org/st ... EX3HnUrLmE

Author: Azima Lila Forest
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:57 am 
One thought about this that occurs to me is that a tax like this affects everyone. If a voter is not a property owner then they are a renter, and if taxes are raised on the property they live in the rent is likely to be raised.

Author: timmatthes
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:23 pm 
I noticed that the second memo re unaccounted for indigent funds describes the total as "unexpended" in one spot and "unaccounted for" in another. That certainly confuses the issue.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:14 am 
If property taxes go up the cost is passed to the renter and the landlord is spared the cost, therefore not everybody is affected.
For the poor, or those on fixed low incomes, who own their own home there is nobody to pass it onto; this was one of themes brought up in every meeting I attended and was answered with "just imagine how much those people will pay to go out of town for medical care"; which was answered with "studies have shown that the poor and low fixed income (ie: without the means to travel) will opt for no care" which was answered by a shrug.

The second issue that always came up was why this wasn't a GRT tax increase that was met with "thats all filled up so we can't dot it that way" which is simply not true as I've explained in previous articles. Those who have more money spend more money and contribute to the hospital as would tourists and other visitors. The lie persists but whether Brian Cunningham knew or just said what he was told to say by others who new better I don't know but it's all wrapped up in a previous scam involving the "Hold Harmless" GRT increase by the County Commissioners. I'll explain more if anybody is interested.

Tim, rather than trying to second guess the missing $21 Million memo I requested an explanation from the County and since they requested a rather lengthy extension to my official record request I can only hope they are doing a thorough investigation, we shall see.

Author: Azima Lila Forest
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:53 am 
I wasn't arguing against the tax but just remarking on who should vote on it - everybody is affected.

Author: RFS!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:55 am 
Hi John,

I'm sure I'm not alone in thanking you in advance for any light you might shed on the County's GRT history, the decision of the state on the "double dipping" issue re: Hold Harmless, how extensive any "shell game" might be in obscuring a sequence of questionable practices including the defeat of the "quality of life" issue prior to the GRT increase, and if you think it germane, the status of the convention center in the context of the county's financial state. A concise and accurate chronology would serve us well.

Hopefully with the seating of the new commissioners, some keener scrutiny will be brought to bear on this history and better controls will be instituted.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:05 am 
By the "quality of life" issue you are referring to the so called "quality of life" Bond that was defeated by voters in 2013? Three significant things happened between 2011 and 2012 or so: my investigative report of 2011 on the top 10 water wasters of Silver City led to the closure of the WNMU swimming pool do to a massive, ongoing leak, Real West closed leaving Grant county without a movie theater and if memory serves, Grant County defaulted on a state grant to remodel the Business and Convention Center.

WNMU Pres Shepard convinced Silver City and Grant County administrators to have the residents pay for a new Swimming Pool on state land for a state owned university. To sweeten the deal the Town of Silver City would build and own a movie complex and the Conference center would be spiffed up; to make a long story short the voters were not convinced and the bond failed at vote.

There is no way to keep this short and concise so next is the double dipping hold harmless GRT slam scam.