-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
John Crow
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: almilligan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:32 pm 
Below are building projects approved by the Board of Regents, I think the only one that has been started is the Tennis Courts.

Regents Row for Aldo Leopold School… $470,000

Ritch Hall for Language Institute students… $1,580,000

College Avenue…..$713,142

Tennis Courts….$427,039

WOW Café….$922,448

Total…$4,112,629

Most of this money is coming from Western’s reserves or current funds. The exceptions are:$425,000 for the WOW Café is coming from Sodexo, the contractor for the cafeteria and the franchise holder of the WOW Café and $412,539 for the tennis courts coming from the student infrastructure fee, every student pays a fee of $9 per credit into a fund used for building infrastructure around campus, that’s $243 per year for a full time student. One of the reasons Western has the highest student fees of any state school in New Mexico.

Author: Used2B
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:55 am 
As I recall, the money negotiated in the new dining contract -- which was supposed to go towards the WOW cafe -- was redirected to the tennis courts. I guess they did that because the money was readily at hand, and the President wanted the tennis courts done first. They'll have to reimburse Sodexo for the $400,000 if they don't construct a WOW café during the term of the contract, which means they'll need to do that within the next couple of years, or they'll be breaching the contract. It's too bad to see a great contract being manipulated this way. WNMU was able to reduce the cost to students, and still turn the dining program from a revenue loss to a revenue maker with this contract. They'll have a hard time negotiating another one like it if they don't honor the terms. Actually, they may have a hard time negotiating another one like it since the President fired the VP who negotiated it -- and nobody else at WNMU seems to be geared toward self-sustaining auxiliary units.

Similarly, the amount of money that is planned for Regents Row and Ritch Hall blows my mind. Why would they spend that much money to turn a residence building (Regents Row) into a classroom facility, while turning a classroom building (Ritch Hall) into a residence hall? Why spend that much money changing the fundamental structure and original purpose of these two buildings? Maybe it's because the President already made a public announcement about the purpose of these buildings and changing it up now would mean that he is taking the exact action recommended by the VP he fired. Eventually, people might start asking why he would fire a VP who was apparently giving him good advice. Maybe they would ask themselves whether this has anything to do with a person who doesn't want scrutiny or guidance from people of a certain gender....?

Author: alivenkikin
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:28 am 
Ritch Hall was a residence hall, not a classroom building. The primary building, which faced Old Main (now Miller Library) was built in 1904 as a residence hall. The wing was added in the 1950s. The building's use as a women's residence hall was ceased due to its aging infrastructure, and has since been sporadically used to house various groups to campus. It is on the State list of Cultural Properties and is part of the WNMU Historic District.

Author: Bruce
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:01 am 
Isn't Aldo Leopold school going to pay for the remodel of Regents Row? Why would WNMU pay for it without reimbursement?

Bruce

Author: almilligan
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:54 am 
According to the Capital Transmittal approved by the Regents at their Dec 7, 2017 meeting the Regent’s Row project is to be financed by $120,000 from the FY 2017 Building Renewal and Replacement fund carry over and $350,000 from the FY 2018 Building Renewal and Replacement fund.

I heard that Alpo Leopold is going to pay $140,000 a year rent. If this is correct I assume that the $140,000 will go toward the $760,000 in non-state revenue goal for the President to receive $15,000 in bonus.

Author: Used2B
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:38 pm 
Regents Row has rooms with individual bathrooms, and it's going to be turned into a classroom building -- and Aldo Leopold has specifically mentioned that these individuals bathrooms are problematic.

Ritch Hall has rooms that don't have bathrooms. Instead, there are community bathrooms in various locations on each floor of the building. Exactly the way you would want a classroom building to be set up. Not so much the way you want a residence hall set up.

I stand corrected. My original question was "Why spend that much money changing the fundamental structure and original purpose of these two buildings?" I should have asked "Why spend that much money changing the fundamental structure of both buildings, and the original purpose of one of those buildings?"