-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
John Crow
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: almilligan
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:05 am 
There is a Regent's meeting tomorrow, Aug. 22, where the only business item is the evaluation of the President. They are not even approving the minutes of previous meetings. When the Regent's find the President's performance acceptable, it will immediately release a $25,000 bonus to the President. The President is usually evaluated in the September meeting.

So that's $106,000 salary increase to the top administrators, $25,000 bonus to the President and no money left over for the hard working, underpaid faculty and staff.

Author: mousie
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:50 am 
Are all of these "presidential bonuses" really necessary? He acts like the poor little rich boy.

M. A. Martin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:26 pm 
Watched this Regent’s meeting on my computer. There was only one item of business, evaluation of the President. So I thought the meeting would last about 15 minutes. Boy was I wrong; the powers that be “bused in” over a dozen of the local elites who all gave glowing accounts of President Shepard’s activities. The glorifying period took up about an hour. The only people missing from the group were full time students, faculty and staff.

Nearly all of the testimony centered on the way Western looks or how the University interacted with the community, no one mentioned academics, finances or athletics. Or my favorite question, Why does Western cost so much?

I hope the Board of Regents is not so naïve as to actually believe all of the nonsense talk.

In the end the Regents voted to give President Shepard his $25,000 bonus, was there any doubt? He has probably already cashed the check.

One other item; although the Regents mentioned that a bonus was associated with them finding that President Shepard service was acceptable they never said how much it was.

If all the things said about President Shepard are true, I say “Shepard for president of New Mexico State”.

Author: elektron
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:55 am 
The mayor of Silver City, the executive director of the chamber, the supt. of Aldo Leopold charter school, a banker, some small "mom-and-pop" business owners, two students, the owner of car dealerships, retirees, alumni and more all spoke in support of the university president. The regents president was prepared, he said, to limit comments to five minutes due to the number of persons present. And the regents voted unanimously to provide the president with a performance bonus, with Board President Walz noting that, under a previous president, the room had been filled with townspeople objecting to a president.

Author: Liza
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:39 am 
Am I the only one wondering why there was such a large group of people vouching for the President; why yesterday's meeting started late; why his contract has been on the Board agenda for the last two meetings, but still no new contract.....? Is there a back story?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:37 pm 
A couple of corrections to elektron’s post:

“And the regents voted unanimously to provide the president with a performance bonus”,
According to President Shepard’s employment contract he receives a retention bonus upon his evaluation by the Regents of “meets expectations”. What those expectations might be is not for moral people to know.

“with Board President Walz noting that, under a previous president, the room had been filled with townspeople objecting to a president”
Now I’ve been minding Western’s business for over 40 years and after I read the above I spoke with old timer Westerners that attended Regents meetings as part of their position. Neither I nor any of them can recall townspeople attending a Regents meeting for any reason. Until the choreographed groups that seem to know when the Regents are considering a new contract or an evaluation of the President, townspeople never had much of an interest in Western’s business. I think Mr. Walz’s memory is in error.

This is the first time the Regents have had a meeting where the only item of business was the President’s evaluation. So, should the taxpayers of New Mexico think it’s a good idea to spend a couple of thousand dollars just to make public that the President of Western “meets expectation”. The Regents get travel expenses and they come from all over New Mexico. Western doesn’t have a “local regent” as required by state law.

I guess I’m getting old, but where I come from “meeting expectations” lets you keep your job not get a bonus.

One other item, the last time I checked Western’s salaries, there were about 100 full time employees of Western that have a salary less than $25,000 per year.

Author: elektron
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:33 pm 
I politely suggest almilligan consider attending the meetings and voicing his concerns so he could share his research and his views during the regents' public comment on the agendas. I suggest he should consider seeking appointment to the board of regents. I suggest that his postings here and his occasional letters to editors are not creating the change he seeks. Seriously, I feel he raises some good issues. But if his audience is the board of regents, I don't believe he's reaching them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:48 am 
Liza:

You may be onto something. I've been in touch with Regents that are unhappy with the way things are going at Western. The high cost, the low rating of the nursing program, the collapse of the athletic program are just a few items of the concerns.

This may be the reason for the administration bringing in the support for the President. The fact that the vote was unanimous is meaningless because the Regents have a long tradition of having all their votes unanimous.