-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
Moses Clark
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: JE1947
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:21 am 
Re: the Charlottesville Debacle, & subsequent melt down (totally deserved) of the GOP HEART THROBBING CENTER OF POWER & GLORY ... I.E., THE TRUMP DUMP, Cat House North (Manhattan), cat houses and golf courses everywhere we are paying for, ever creeping closeness of Mueller to the God of Heaven, Earth, Golf Courses & outhouses with Trump's name:

I wonder if any demonstrations or gatherings are planned?

Do WE here in Grant County have ANY schools, buildings, monuments dedicated to the Civil War or, as the South termed it, "The War of Northern Oppression," among other things ... ????? If so, why??? If so, when are they coming down???
General demonstration against His Mad Kingness?

The more demonstrations the better, nationally.
And, I've posted some photos on my face book of the Grant County Peace Coalition Activities. It might be nice for those who were involved to submit their own recollections, photos, posters, hand outs ... of that dedicated effort to stand in the way of Bush's Iraq War before it even began.

The time is closing in when Republicans who defend Trump after all of this should be asked:
What is it that he says ... specifically ... that turns you on?
As he spews so much hateful stuff at so many groups, which of those do you subscribe to the most?
No generalities.

Do you grasp that he is calling for shout outs for the Confederacy, which was a group of Southern treasonists?
And that attacks on the frame work of the Institutions and leaders of our Republic could soon be seen as a new form of collaboration with fascim?
Do uou really want to be know, as the Vichy were, as a Collaborationist. MHZ "A French Village" 6 seaons. "Collabo?"

And, lastly, the presence of clergy at the Charlottesville Demonstration was noted. Not since the end of the Vietnam War have many clergy gathered with resistance movements, or spoken in biblical terms or whatever, of the immoral acts of the Trump Administration (primarily along the lines ... "what you do for the least among you, you do for me ..." in terms of a Health Care System that folds in ALL Americans. Shit cans the $800 billion tax cuts to the rich.Folds it into Health Care. What system couldn't be improved with $800 billion???
In February or March, 2005, GCPC set out about 2000 luminarias on a very cold night. We began reading the names of the then # of American killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. And 1-200 Iraqi and Afghani names ... and sent post cards to every clergy or house of faith in Grant County .... and had three members of the clergy read with us. Four.Two nuns, a Catholic priest and an Epsicopal minister, as well as Quakers and Universalists.Maybe some Episcopalians and Presbyterians. No other clergy.

In case folks haven't grasped it, THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT, WHERE CLERGY WERE INTRINSIC TO THE DEMONSTRATIONS ... HAVE RETURNED. THERE IS
A MONUMENTAL OFFENSIVE IS UNDERWAY BY THE GOP, ET AL, TO DESTROY ALL GAINS MADE BY THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT. SCIENCE. ECOLOGY. ALTERNATIVE ENERGY. DEALING WITH ARMED RIGHT WING MILITIAS. GUN VIOLENCE LAUGHED AT AS AN ISSUE. KILLINGS BY "LONE NUTS" WHENEVER YOUR TURN AROUND; AMERICANS USING ISIS SUICIDE CAR BOMBING DEVICES NOW ... SO, YES, I'D SAY THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT AND ERA ARE BACK.

ISN'T IT A SHAME?

Author: almilligan
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:53 am 
The official name of what is commonly known as the Civil War is the War of the Rebellion.

Author: JE1947
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:18 am 
6 Answers
H. Larry Elman
H. Larry Elman, USAF Colonel Ret'd and engineer who is also a published historian.
Answered Nov 5 2016
I have read the other answers and in many ways they are false.

Everyone knew Lincoln was an Abolitionist, BUT he repeatedly said he would not violate the Constitution and that the Union was more important than abolition.

Even BEFORE he was sworn in, the South was preparing for war. SECESSION ORDINANCES, which stated that retention of slavery was the Southern motivation, had passed in several States before his swearing in.

The South demanded that US property (forts, light houses, etc) be surrendered. Fort Sumter was surrounded by an Army and fired upon while Buchanan was still President. Lincoln had supported the idea of negotiations.

Confederate General Beauregard ordered the first cannon shot of the Civil War.

Some Southerners still call that the War of Northern Aggression — it was in fact the war of Southern revolt, and should be remembered as such.

Author: crow
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:04 pm 
Simply put it was a war to give (or preserve) the white people the right to buy, sell and own black people. Here in New Mexico blacks were treated with distain as were the hispanics when the east coast whites arrived.

Author: gilacountry
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:24 pm 
Confederate Colonel John Baylor successfully led the Battle of Mesilla, capturing the southern half of the New Mexico Territory (which included what is now AZ, NM, and the southern tip of NV). Cln Baylor's forces pursued the retreating Union forces into the Organ Mtns. Cln Baylor then declared himself the military governor of this southern portion of NM territory, it was named the Arizona Territory and the settlers within voted to secede. Upon learning of Cln Baylor's genocidal plans for the Apache's living in AZ Territory, Confederate President Jefferson Davis relieved Baylor of the position of governor. Baylors commission in the military was revoked shortly thereafter. He reinlisted as a private, regained the rank of colonel, and was raising a force to retake AZ Territory when the war ended. Today, these place names can be found in the Organ Mtns.: Baylor Canyon, Baylor Pass, Baylor Peak, and Baylor Canyon Road. Also the Dragoon Mtns are named for Confederate forces under Baylor's command who fought with Apaches at that location. Dragoons were a type of cavalry unit skilled in mounted warfare and hand to hand combat. Still researching more names...

Author: crow
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:10 pm 
Thanks for the research gilacountry, much of this I did not know. It would be interesting to know who the "they" were who voted to secede, if as you say the settlers voted then the indigenous including those of Mexican decent nor blacks, if there were any, weren't allowed to vote. When we moved to Bisbee in 1974 and put our kids in the school there that school was still struggling to integrate Hispanics and indigenous Yaqui indians and our Yaqui neighbors my age could not read nor write any language.

Author: gilacountry
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:02 pm 
The treaty of Guadeloupe Hidalgo ended the Mexican-American War in the 1840's and was also aimed at securing rights for Mexicans choosing to stay on land which now belonged to the US (NM Territory as well as others). The treaty failed to protect many land grants which were appropriated Indian Lands to begin with, but it succeeded in establishing former Mexican citizens as US citizens with voting rights and the legal definition of being "white". So yes, only whites voted for the secession of AZ Territory, but Hispanics were considered legally white then. Mexico had abolished slavery of blacks (but not Indians) in the 1830's or 40's. This was Lincolns' reason as to why, if admitted as a state, NM Territory should be considered as a Northern State and be slave-free. This debate went on just prior to the Civil War, the outcome of which made the final call. It appears from census records that very few black slaves were in antebellum NM Territory.

Author: Marjen
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:59 am 
Is the Grant County Peace Coalition still active? I just moved here and looking for opportunities to engage in meaningful activism against the current president/administration.

Author: whudson43
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:41 pm 
To Marjen, in reference to your last inquiry, the Grant County Peace Coalition is still around. Tom Vaughan at the Gila Friends Meeting could prob[5:00ably provide you with more information. There is also the indivisible groups which were meeting a Javalinas, but I believe out grew the space. Someone there could maybe give you more details. Other groups with activities working in opposition of many of the policies of the current administration are the ACLU of NM (our local chapter) meets the 2nd Thursday every month in the back meeting room of the the Toad (our next meeting is at 6:00 [5:00 for dinner] on the 14th. Notice will be posted on this calendar. There is also an Immigrant Justice Network, a largely interdenominational group working on immigration issues. I'm sure there are others, but those I was able to come up with immediately.
What ever efforts you make toward resisting the unconstitutional, unconscionable, mandates being put forth from the White House are to be commended.

Author: curious2
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:49 pm 
Most of the posts here are very educational. But what does this topic have to do with WNMU?