-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
John Crow
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: almilligan
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:10 pm 
A couple of months ago I sent a letter to the Foundation asking what money from the President’s Discretionary Fund was spent on. This is the reply: Because the WNMU Foundation is not a public body, its records, other than its annual audit are not public records…and the records you request….shall not be provided.

The President’s Discretionary Fund did not exist before the present administration. The year before the present administration and before the President’s Discretionary existed (2010-11) the Foundation funded $222,140 in scholarships. This last year 2015-16 the Foundation funded only $120,332 in scholarships and spent $52,725 from the President’s Discretionary Fund.
I have talked with members of the Board of Directors of the Foundation and they didn’t know about expenditures from the Fund. Also, people close to the Foundation tell me a great deal of the President’s Discretionary Fund is spent on the President’s entertainment especially alcoholic beverages. There are, also, rumors (unverified) that funds are being used for the President’s personal expenses.

The Foundation wants people to donate money for its activities; you would think that they would be happy to tell the world exactly what every penny of their money is funding.

People contributing to the Foundation should keep in mind that for every two dollars spent on scholarships one dollar goes to unknown expenses from the President’s Discretionary Fund.

Money donated for scholarships may well end up in someone’s wine glass.

Author: karen
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:20 pm 
I am so dismayed to learn about expenditures from the President’s Discretionary Fund. Thank you for your doggedness in your research, Al.
Karen

Author: almilligan
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:21 am 
If you take a look at the Foundation’s Financial Report and Calendar, you won’t see any mention of the President’s Discretionary Fund, it’s all grouped into General and Administrative Expenses. The only way a person can see that it exists is to be nosey enough to look at the audit report of the Foundation.

You only have to look at the numbers to see that the resource allocation by the Foundation has changed from student oriented scholarships to the unknown activities supported by the President’s Discretionary Fund.

2010-11 Scholarships $222,140 no Discretionary Fund
2011-12 Scholarships $204,278, Discretionary Fund $29,466
2012-13 Scholarships $112,417, Discretionary Fund $50,137
2013-14 Scholarships $98,937, Discretionary Fund $50,175
2014-15 Scholarships $135,913, Discretionary Fund $52,542
2015-16 Scholarships $120,332, Discretionary Fund $52,725

The only expenditure from the Discretionary Fund, that I’m aware of, was several years ago the Discretionary Fund donated about $8,000 to the political committee “the Committee for a Better Grant County” so that the Committee could reimburse Western for postage and other material that was illegally supplied by Western to the Committee.