-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
John Crow
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: almilligan
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:20 pm 
Here’s an exchange between me and an unnamed regent. It’s interesting to see how they think. They have misinformation and won’t even check it out even though it would only take a couple of clicks and when the facts close in on them they attack to messenger.

----Original Message-----
Sent: Mon, Jun 5, 2017 5:02 pm
Subject: Info on Lottery Scholarship
For comprehensive colleges and universities (Western, Eastern New Mexico, New Mexico Highlands and Northern New Mexico) the Lottery Scholarship will pay $1,169 toward tuition, fees are not covered. The amount paid by the Lottery Scholarship is based on 60% of the overall average tuition of all comprehensive colleges and universities.
Here is how it affects the various schools:
School…………Tuition…………Not Covered by Scholarship……….Percent of tuition covered
WNMU……………..$2,209.01……………..……..$1,040.00………………………53%
ENMU……………….$1,830.48……………………….$661.48…………………….64%
NNMC……………….$1,630.20……………………….$461.20…………………….72%
NMHU……………….$2,124.00……………………….$955.00…………………….55%

The total amount paid by a student getting the Lottery Scholarship (reduced tuition plus fees):

School Total Paid by Student
WNMU………………………..$2,243.13
ENMU………………….………$1,789.84
NNMC…………………….……$1,213.60
NMHU………………………….$1,733.20

From the above, you see that not every school has 60% of the tuition covered some get more and some get less because it’s based on the average tuition of all schools. Since Western has the highest tuition and highest fees, its students on the Lottery Scholarship need to pay more than any of the other schools. Once UNM and NMSU get their tuition and fees set it appears that a student on the Lottery Scholarship at WNMU will pay the highest tuition and fees in the state.

However, it appears that this reduction of the Lottery Scholarship will have less effect on Western because Western has only about 150 students on the Lottery Scholarship, about 7% of the undergraduates, the lowest in the state.
Al Milligan

On 6/5/2017 5:13 PM, (regent) wrote:
Quite frankly, its going to get worse - the real culprit in this scenario is UNM and the accelerated rate in which they raised tuition over the last 5 years.....Thanks for the input however -

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Mon, Jun 5, 2017 5:30 pm
Subject: Re: Info on Lottery Scholarship
I hesitate to disagree with you, but according to The Dept of Higher Ed tuition at UNM over the past 5 years tuition increased only 9.6% ( $2,412 to $2,6430) while at WNMU tuition increased 31% ($1,600 to $2,103). When it comes to tuition and fees combines UNM increased 14.9% since FY13 while WNMU increased 54%.
Thanks for answering me
Al Milligan

On 6/5/2017 5:50 PM, (regent) wrote:
That's way off, they increased an aggregate amount of 12% last year alone

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Mon, Jun 5, 2017 6:11 pm
Subject: Re: Info on Lottery Scholarship
According to the UNM web site tuition and fees for an undergraduate taking 15 hours in the 2015-16 was $3,304 per semester, in 2016-17 it was $3,475 an increase of 5.2%. These figures are as official as I can get. UNM has a lot of special tuition and fees, the figures I have are those given by the New Mexico Department of Higher Education and the university web site. I keep track of these things.
Al Milligan

On 6/5/2017 6:17 PM, (regent)wrote:
The devil is in the details.....what you have is misleading intentionally

I sent to regent

Have you checked the Department of Higher Ed data, is their data misleading? Is the UNM web site misleading? I am not attempting to mislead anyone, the only data I have access to is from the New Mexico State Government and the UNM web site. Do you have any official data that says the numbers are misleading or wrong. You sound like President Shepard when I use official data to criticize WNMU.
Al Milligan
I sent to regent

From the Alb. Journal March 23,2016
“To help overcome a $7.9 million budget shortfall, University of New Mexico regents Tuesday unanimously approved a 2.5 percent tuition increase and a 10.4 percent hike in student fees – adding an estimated $286 to the amount paid by a full-time student in the 2016-17 school year.
A student taking at least 15 credit hours would pay about $6,950 in tuition and fees a year – up from $6,664 this year.”

Do you suppose that the Alb. Journal is also trying to mislead you?

Maybe the source you have for information is misleading you.

You might take a look at how you’re being misled by the administration at Western. For example the self-supporting golf course that will cost the students about $200,000 this year. Self-supporting defined by the administration as income from the course supplemented by student fees to cover the loss.
Al Milligan
no more responses from regent

Author: Gilaafuera
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:25 am 
What can be done?