-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
Moses Clark
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: almilligan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:51 pm 
How many DREAMer/DACA students are attending Western? Why should anyone care? Well Western spent hundreds of thousands perhaps near a million dollars trying to recruit DREAMEDs/DACA students. There are a pile of national news articles talking about the little college in New Mexico that’s welcoming DREAMer/DACA students. You’d think the University administration would be curious about how effective the recruiting program was.

I sent in the following public records request to the University:

How many students are attending Western under DREAMer/ DACA ?

The reply I received was:

The WNMU Admissions Office reports that DACA/Dreamer is not a category that can be selected by an applicant seeking admission to Western New Mexico University. WNMU does not have any data responsive to your request.

A little research showed that DREAMer/DACA students were instructed to check the box “Undocumented Resident” under “Citizenship” in their application. So I sent in the following public record request:

The number of “Undocumented Residents” that attend Western.

I received the following reply:

The records requested are not available as a record. While the information is on the application, it is not a field that is accessible for reporting in the university’s current software program/system. In order to create this information for you, a programmer would need to develop a view for the “Citizenship” field.

Any competent programmer could get this information in 15 minutes and have time for a coffee break.

So it appears that the answer to the question, “How many DREAMer/DACA students attend Western”, is no one knows.

No one in the University administration is curious if the recruiting money was well spent. How do they make a decision on what to do in the next recruiting season?

Not a very good way to run a railroad.

Author: Bruce
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:00 pm 
Not a very good way to run a railroad? Or possibly a very good way to run an underground railroad. I think the reason they don't keep this data (even if they know it) is obvious.

Bruce

Author: Azima Lila Forest
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:43 am 
My thoughts precisely, Bruce!

Al, is there ANYTHING about Western that you approve of? Gollleeeee!