-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
Moses Clark
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: almilligan
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:22 am 
For those of you that missed President Shepard's remarks during the Governor's visit I've enclosed a small portion. It appears Western is going to become part of the industrial-military complex.

Shepard said he just visited Macedonia, creating relationships and its military will send students to Western for a portion of their education.

Author: MineralMama
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:53 am 
Crow, you said you "included a small portion of Shephard's remarks" but I didn't see them. Could you please post. Thanks.

Author: crow
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:32 am 
That was Al Milligan's post.

Author: samarpan
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:48 pm 
Wikipedia on Macedonia: "Muslims are the second-largest religious group with almost one-third of the population adhering to Islam." I hope the university does not engage in any religious profiling to exclude Muslims. Islamic students from Macedonia coming to WNMU could help us better understand Islam. I hope at least one-third (or more!) of the Macedonian students who come to WNMU are Islamic. That would be a positive addition to Silver City, which already has religious diversity, e.g., Christian, Pagan (earth-based religions), Native American spirituality, Buddhist, Jewish, Hindu, and Sufi practitioners, to mention only a few practice paths available in Silver City.

We could benefit by learning more about Islam from Macedonian Muslims, addressing some common American anti-Islamic stereotypes:

"While appeals to the media for accuracy and fairness continue, newspaper headlines regularly print the words “Islam” and “Muslim” next to words like “fanatic,” “fundamentalist,” “militant,” “terrorist” and “violence.”

Jihad means literally “struggle or exertion” in the way of God. The “greater jihad” involves struggling against evil within oneself, while the “lesser jihad” involves working against injustice or oppression in society. ... As a pamphlet for the media published by the American Muslim Council explains, the word jihad “is more accurately translated as ‘exertion of effort’, not ‘holy war.’

American Muslims often ask why a small group of extremists, whose terrorist actions violate the central principles of Islam, should determine the public image of the entire Muslim community. As Edward Said, author of Covering Islam, noted, prejudice against Muslims is “the last sanctioned racism.”

--from The Pluralism Project (Harvard University)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:31 pm 
This is from the Grant County Beat’s report on President Shepard’s instillation:

Zoran Jolevski, Ambassador of Macedonia to the U.S. and Mexico, called Shepard a man of great vision. Jolevski met Shepard in 2008, when Jolevski’s son looked for a place to study in Florida, and, because of Shepard, chose to stay at Florida Gulf Coast University, where Shepard was serving in various leadership positions. “Shepard is a man of competence and integrity, and he’s fun, too. … There is no progress, if children do not do better than their parents.

From the Republic of Macedonia’s Ministry of Defense

Student exchange was agreed between the Military Academy and the US Western New Mexico University
14-09-2016

At their meeting in the Ministry of Defence, the Minister of Defence Zoran Jolevski and Joseph Shepard, President of Western New Mexico University, USA, agreed to intensive cooperation, exchange of experiences and sending our cadets and exchange of professors between this important University and the Military Academy in the Republic of Macedonia.
“There is a huge potential for development of the cooperation which will be significantly beneficial to both educational institutions. The Military Academy has proved to work according to the highest standards and an undisputed fact thereof is that several countries in the region entrust to us the education of their future officers” the Minister said at the meeting. He also added that the Military Academy already has an extremely positive experience with sending two cadets for schooling at Norwich University in Vermont and added that this practice will continue in future. “Our cadets received the highest grades for the semester they spent in the US and I am sure the cadets that will be part of the WNMU in the future, will show a high level of knowledge and skills,” said Minister Jolevski.
The WNMU President Joseph Shepherd said it was open for cooperation and offered several areas including intensive language training courses, military leadership courses, which he said are extremely important, as well as courses for criminal justice and computer forensics.
The meeting was also attended by the Deputy Minister of Interior, Oliver Andonov, who expressed interest in the courses of the WNMU Police Academy and said it was a great opportunity for additional education of the Ministry of Interior personnel.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:19 am 
Since no one has responded to or criticized my post of Sept. 29, I will now criticize my own post.

Samarpan, I appreciate your contribution, but I have some questions for you. Has it not occurred to you that WNMU will get the students who are sent, and WNMU might not have any choice in the matter of who is sent?

Has it not occurred to you that the "Military Academy “General Mihailo Apostolski” – Skopje" might only have straight male Christian military students?

Has it occurred to you that profiling/discrimination may be happening in Macedonia?

Perhaps, samarpan, you should be asking different questions.

For example: Are the Macedonian security forces/Macedonian military respectful of human rights?

Are they respectful of the political rights of women and ethnic minorities in Macedonia?

Is there meaningful participation of women (including ethnic minority women) in public life in Macedonia in general?

Are there women, including ethnic minority women, in the Macedonian Military Academy? In the security/police forces? If not, why not?

Do the military/security/police forces promote gender equality? (Would they be accepting of Silver City's cultural, gender, and religious diversity?)

Are gender–disaggregated statistics available in Macedonia for use in national development? For use in the Military Academy/police forces? (such statistics are necessary for gender analysis, gender budgeting, or any serious national strategic planning related to gender issues)

How does the current refugee crisis affect Macedonia?

Does the Military Academy (or its professors or its publications) promote Islamophobia?

==========================

Depending on the answers to those questions, another set of questions arises:

Does WNMU have academic programs that understand the Macedonian military's purpose, values and needs? Is a military for national defense? Or for reviving public services, rebuilding infrastructure, and promoting good governance? Or for all of the above? The idea of using the military for nation-building is controversial in the USA. What about in Macedonia?

Does WNMU appreciate the complex history underlying the cultural, ethnic and religious tensions in Macedonia?

Does WNMU understand Islamic history well enough to know that Islam as a religion and a civilization started influencing the European territory three centuries before many parts of Europe, and before the entire Scandinavian area, had even heard of Christianity, and before Russia and the north and central European countries had embraced Christianity? Does WNMU understand that the Muslims of Macedonia, like their brethren of the Balkan Muslims, are the indigenous inhabitants of Europe, and that they have been continuously working on enriching Islamic civilization, history and culture for the past thirteen centuries? This historical fact provides concrete evidence that strongly refutes the widespread claims (apparently shared by some Military Academy faculty in Macedonia) that Islam is an unwelcomed expatriate in Europe, that Muslims are strangers without the right to live in Europe, and that Islamic culture and traditions are the sworn enemy of the so-called native European culture and civilization. (See Dzavid Haveric’s study: History of the Muslim Discovery of the World: Islamic Civilisation within the Plurality of Civilisations, pp.171-210 (Deakin University, 2012)

Besides English language instruction, what in the WNMU curriculum can contribute to Macedonia's "military leadership"?

What can WNMU do to promote respect for human rights in the Military Academy and security/police forces (especially human rights of women and gender minorities), given the complexity of the situation in Macedonia?

Are WNMU's student services able to deal with military students from Macedonia who may be victims of previous area conflicts (or ex-combatants), who may be suffering psychologically from flashbacks (PTSD) that may have led them to getting into armed disputes or criminal activities?

Are WNMU's computer resources sufficiently modern and extensive/comprehensive to support a program in computer forensics?

To sum up, samarpan, the situation is probably much more complex than you first thought. Most of us are probably in the dark about Macedonia, about regional cultural, ethnic, and religious tensions, about the "Military Academy “General Mihailo Apostolski” – Skopje"... and about WNMU's abilities to address all the variables of a very complex situation that has led to the proposal that Military Academy students from Macedonia be sent to WNMU.

I do know you and like you, samarpan, but I respectfully suggest that your question about the religious orientation of the Macedonian military students (Christian or Muslim) may not be that relevant or important, compared to the other questions I have presented.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:37 pm 
The Macedonian military consists of 8,000 personnel.

The military academy graduates a little over 30 cadets a year.

So far the academy has sent two cadets for a semester to Norwich University a military school in Vermont.

I don't think we should expect a Macedonian battalion in next year's homecoming parade.

Author: elektron
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:46 am 
That's funny, Al. If not Macedonia, maybe the Duchy of Grand Fenwick or perhaps Genovia could march? The parade needs a boost nowadays.

Author: ColdLizard
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:07 am 
My vote is for the Duchy of Grand Fenwick. At least they know how to run a country lol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:56 pm 
From the original post: It appears Western is going to become part of the industrial-military complex.
Two students may come to WNMU? That will not significantly help raise the FTE count, nor does it make WNMU a significant "part of the industrial-military complex." It appears this is yet another tempest in a teapot.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:45 am 
This is a statement made by President Shepard to the Department of Higher Education with respect to the Macedonian Military coming to Western.

“Recently I was invited to Macedonia by the Minister Of Defense to have conversations on how we might assist them with education. The trip was preliminary in conversation and no formal agreement has been signed. We discussed with various Macedonian universities the classic exchange programs for faculty and students. I further discussed with the Minister an idea of having some of his officers travel to New Mexico to receive training in English and leadership. They have a strong desire to enter NATO. I also met with the Deputy Minister of Interior and extended a similar offer for the Macedonian police force as WNMU has a police academy. As mentioned this is as far as we have gotten in working out such arrangements. It is quite common for universities to develop training programs beyond the U.S. border. We must continue to seek new revenue streams as the State’s appropriation continue to be reduced.”

Is the golf course one of these new streams of revenue?

Author: delafrance
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:37 pm 
I hope none of these cyber-crooks are among the Macedonians "applying to WNMU"

https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilverman ... sinfo?utm_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:33 pm 
President Shepard's trip to Macedonia cost Western $4,621.08. The trip was taken as a business trip for Western, not as vacation.

Author: curious2
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:38 am 
The article ( link below ) is for those of you who can't wait to benefit, or "learn from" moslims coming to this community ( e.g. Samarpan).

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/742 ... ance-Paris

Author: Bruce
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:40 pm 
Macedonians are about 65% Orthodox Christians. I wouldn't worry about the Macedonian army enforcing Sharia law at Western.

Bruce

Author: crow
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm 
curious2 it seems that you wish to spread an Islamophobia against 3.3+ million american Muslims (1.6 billion world wide) using a very flimsy article. I'm not sure the article was meant to promote Islamophobia but perhaps it was but we could see through it. I don't know about France laws but here this kind of discrimination is against the law though nail biting fear is not against the law.

Muslim bars practicing Sharia Law? Sharia law forbids all intoxicants, these reports, if true, are simply thugs or gangs which come in all colors and religions including white nationalist anti-imigrant freaks of which our current president and vice-president elect are members in good standing.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:44 pm 
It's been nearly two years since the agreement between the Macedonian Defense Dept and Western, has anyone seen a Macedonian soldier on campus? Western has signed numerous agreements with Mexican Universities, the number of foreign students has remained fairly constant at a little less than 50 for many years and about 20 or so of the foreign students are athletes. The only benefit of most of these agreements is that Western administrators get a free trip to Mexico.

Some of you may still remember ex-President Counts trip through China, signing agreements along the way. It was advertised that these agreements would produce 30 chinese students a years for Western or after 4 years there would be over a hundred Chinese students all paying out of state tuition at Western. One administrator claimed that one chinese student may have been produced from the agreements. But President Counts and his entrague got a free tour of China on Western's funds.

Now, Western has signed letters of understanding with the King of Zambia, if things work out as they have in the past the only thing that will occur is for Western's administrators to get a free trip to Zambia to hunt elephants.

Author: mimbresgranny
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:08 pm 
I think I saw an Asian looking lady waiting tables once. <joke>

You bring up some interesting points. I also noted the $4,600 expense for Shepard's fishing trip while he was talking about budget cuts. The travel expense to Zambia is likely to be higher today. How many WNMU officials go on these trips? Do any of these schools send officials here? What is the rate of return in students per costs? Our Admins are paid well while the Board seems to be grasping at straws for a Mission. It would be great to have a variety of Foreign Students here. Can they afford it? WNMU used to be one of the more affordable Universities but I have heard that is no longer true.

IF we don't sell the Hospital, the Nursing School shows promise. The Board's idea of a Rural Nursing specialty might actually be useful to other countries. Is there actually any planning going into this?

[I am really posting so I can follow the conversation.]

Author: Used2B
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:08 am 
If you’ll recall, the trip to Macedonia coincided with the canonization ceremony for Mother Teresa. Macedonia and Rome are only about 600 miles apart. So, Shepard gets to visit his old friend, the Macedonian military bigwig, and then pop over to Rome for the canonization ceremony. And he apparently doesn’t need to take any vacation time for this, despite being out of the office for at least two weeks. We know this because he was able to turn in 800 hours of unused vacation time for a payment of $103,842.16 back in October of 2017. Has anybody heard of the Fraud Against New Mexico Taxpayers Act?

Author: timmatthes
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:06 pm 
There is, indeed, such a law. If you google "New Mexico Fraud Against Taxpayers Act" you'll get a link to a PDF file.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:14 pm 
mimbresgranny: actually the nursing program at Western is one of the poorest in the state.

The National Council of Nursing Licensure Examination (NCLEX) percentage of passing on the first time attempt is one of the major assessment tools for nursing programs across the country.

Western’s results for 2017 tests have just been made public: pass rate 62.5%, this is 21th of 23 schools, only 2 schools had worse results.

The history of the nursing program over the past five years follows:
2013: 57.14%
2014: 72%
2015: 86.67%
2016: 67.86%
2017: 62.5%

Aggregate of all of the above is a pass rate of 69.8% (total passing/total taking). The minimum acceptable pass rate for the New Mexico Board of Nursing is 80%.

Author: upcountry
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:59 am 
It's possible that if GRMC were to be sold to, or associated with, a real hospital the nursing program may improve due to a greater investment and involvement by a larger hospital. It could be a benefit to both.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:05 am 
Pass rate in 2010 was 94.7%
Pass rate in 2011 was 94.71%
Pass rate for 2012 was 100%

I don't think the problem is with the hospital.

Author: mimbresgranny
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:02 am 
Those numbers are horrifying. We definitely need a change in Governor leadership to take on the WNMU Board and sort this out. We are no longer the most affordable and yet the students aren't getting any benefit for that additional cost. Western's standing was part of why I moved here... A good college is always a boost for a small town. It feels like we are in danger of loosing all our vital organs and are being told we need to sell them now before they are no longer viable.

Is this part of the overall Austerity philosophy to slowly strangle the State or simple mismanagement? I would believe this didn't happen over night but has been a creeping malaise. 2013 was when the Republicans took over most of the State, but while I would lay a huge part of the blame at their feet, there has to be more to it.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:54 am 
It appears that the University administration is trying to increase the nursing pass rate by giving inflated data rather than improving the program.

For example:

In August 2016 the University web page and the Director of Nursing reported to the Regents that the pass rate was 92.5% when in fact it was 86.6%

In March 19, 2018 Board of Regents meeting VP Crocker made the following statement “The current pass rate for the nursing exam by WNMU graduates is 90%”. Actual pass rate was 62.5% and in the last 5 years the aggregate pass rate is 69.8%

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:21 pm 
Macedonia has changed its name to the Republic of Northern Macedonia