-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
John Crow
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: almilligan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:05 pm 
For those of you that missed it the following is from the Grant County Beat:

“Silver City’s District 3 Councilor Jose Ray Jr., speaking as a veteran and not as a councilor, said at the Tuesday, Jan. 9, town meeting that he was part of a veteran’s color guard that was disrespected when presenting colors at a recent Western New Mexico University basketball home game. Ray stated that a few minutes before the national anthem began and the veterans presented the colors, both teams and the referees walked off the court to the locker rooms leaving about 20 people in the stands. “Speaking for myself, I will not be part of a color guard again at a WNMU basketball game,” Ray told the Beat.

District 4 Councilor Guadalupe Cano, a self-described 21-year fan of Mustang basketball, echoed Ray’s comments saying: “It’s been going on all year.” Cano said she has received a lot of messages and phone calls about the walk-outs, and stated, “If anyone is concerned about this, reach out to President Joe Shepard and let him know what’s going on. It’s not good for us to be disrespecting our veteran’s color guard when they are providing us this service. If you want to have that bridge between the community and the university be solid,” then this issue needs to be addressed, Cano said.”

There’s a lot I could say about this, but I’ll be silent for now the action speaks for itself.

Author: JE1947
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:18 am 
What is the purported purpose for the walk out if it has been going on all season??
I'm not sure the purpose?
Is there a purpose?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:49 am 
This is from the acting athletic director at Western, it doesn't explain why the color guard was invited and left standing alone:

Mr. Milligan,

Thanks for reaching out. I am aware of this situation. Before Mark Coleman left, he thought it was appropriate to play the National Anthem 9 minutes prior to the start of the first game of the night. With all the controversy surrounding the disruption and disrespect of the National Anthem, most of the Lone Star Conference members are playing it before the student-athletes take the court for introductions. It is up to each team, home or away, if they are on the court during the salute to colors. I understand why people are angry about that choice and when we hire a new Director of Athletics, I will make sure he/she is aware of this situation. We should have a new AD named next week and on board by Feb. 1. I am also concerned about this and will be sure it gets addressed.

Have a great weekend,

Terra
Terra Dunlap
Western New Mexico University
Interim Director of Athletics
Senior Woman Administrator
Head Athletic Trainer
terra.dunlap@wnmu.edu
575-538-6236

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:01 am 
I want to reiterate that not being on the court during the posting of the colors and playing the National Anthem is not the choice of the coaches or the basketball players, it is University policy and the coaches and player are just following orders.

You would think that President Shepard could change that policy even before hiring a new athletic director.

Author: crow
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:09 am 
Note to the Vets, not everything is about you.

This movement started with NFL player Colin Kaepernick taking the knee during the national anthem at the beginning of an NFL football game in solidarity with "Black Lives Matter". The movement has spread into the university athletics across the country. You might say "but this Silver City Grant County and I will say that blacks have not been particularly welcome here ( I will not go into the many reasons expressed to me by some of the hispanic and some of the white community but racism is racism and it is alive and well here: between the whites and blacks, both directions, between the hispanics and whites, both directions, between the hispanics and blacks not to mention the sad sad story of the Chinese. The universities have tried to avoid publicity of the "taking of the knee" by allowing the team to stay in the locker room or in some cases just not calling the team to the court until after the anthem. It will not bode well if the university forces the, mostly black players to not express solidarity with a national movement which is important to at least some of them.

Councilor Ray, at the last ToSC council meeting whined that there was only "maybe 20 people left in the audience to see the color guard" and went on to say that "we, the tax payers pay for their schooling and live here, what more do "They" want?" Perhaps Councilor Ray needs to educate himself about the issues.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:05 pm 
Crow:
You don’t get it. Suppose you were invited to give a speech and when you stand up to talk all the people from the organization that invited you get up, without explanation, and walk out. Would that be fine with you? That’s what happened to Mr. Ray and the color guard. Someone invited them to the game, perhaps that someone should have explained to the color guard that the teams are going to leave the court before playing the National Anthem. From his statements, it appears that Mr. Ray thought the players decided to walk out when in fact it was a University policy. A little communication could have resolved this in the bud. Not everything is about vets, but they should be shown the same consideration as those that didn’t serve.

I’m surprised you concur with the University policy requiring, not allowing, the players to be off court during the National Anthem. I would think you progressives would think this requirement is denying the player’s First Amendment rights to free speech. Are basketball players at Western the only ones not allowed to demonstrate? I would think the University would welcome controversy after all isn’t a university a place to exchange ideas? It doesn’t matter whether you like what people are saying or demonstrating about, as long as they keep it peaceful they have a right to do it.

Author: msauber
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:02 pm 
Al. The problem as you say is indeed a lack of communication. Why were the color guard invited if attendance is that low and the players are off the field during the anthem? That is the big question to me. I unapologetically support the rights of the players to take a knee. Our country would not exists if some patriots had not taken bold action against the English control and dumped some tea into the harbor. Those oppressed in our society should have the right to express themselves. Unfortunately Institutions of higher learning often don't lead the way in allowing or inviting controversy.

Author: crow
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:13 pm 
Al, show us the university policy, or show us the league policy and show us where I said I support the suppression of dissent.

Quoting myself from above:
"The universities have tried to avoid publicity of the "taking of the knee" by allowing the team to stay in the locker room or in some cases just not calling the team to the court until after the anthem. It will not bode well if the university forces the, mostly black players to not express solidarity with a national movement which is important to at least some of them."