-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
Moses Clark
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: Karen B
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:09 pm 
Looking for a reality check, feedback. Finding an honest, responsible person to live in/care for a house for a few months can't happen for them just paying utilities? One must also come up with cash pay for the caretaker?

Author: cherokeewoman
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:33 am 
Karen
I house sit and I get paid for it. I'm both honest and reliable.
I'm also busy. However that said, wanting someone to stay a few months
can be problematic. Good judgement in these situations is paramount.
Interview, and be specific. Good luck

Author: eric casler
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:00 am 
This is just my personal opinion: if you have pets needing tending, or lots of plants/a garden (in other words, if you have lots of "tasks" that you want fulfilled), it seems reasonable to pay someone. If you simply want someone to "be there", you might be able to find someone who would be happy to pay the utilities in exchange for a place to be. I think it depends on who you can find that is available during the time window you are going to be gone. We had some friends in town all winter who would have been glad to take your deal without pay, but they have gone back north.

Eric

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:19 pm 
I realize now I was much too vague. Late night & discouraged. I've been a business person too, so I understand & respect those who make a business of critter & property care taking. That isn't what I'm looking for. No pets or indoor plants. No indoor cleaning & maintenance beyond self care. Some weed control and a bit of water every other week for three rose bushes, should not exceed two hours a week. I'd pay someone if I had the ability to do so. Somebody being here, with the usual coming & going is better than a couple lights on timers. I had imagined networking to a mutually beneficial exchange with someone also of modest means and complementary needs. I see now that is even less likely than I supposed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:59 am 
You are still being vague how is anyone to know if they are in
a position to do short term house sitting if you don't mention
dates? Maybe someone is transitioning from one home to another
and may need your exact situation. You need more info

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:52 am 
My original post was intended as a point of discussion, not an actual ad. It has been very helpful in learning about the perspectives others approach this from.
I have some reluctance to post all the details of when a house will be vacant in such a public venue for security reasons. That said, I would welcome direct/private contact from anyone who is interested in specifics.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:09 am 
Yes that may be Karen but this forum is the only option you've provided
Many folks leave here for extended periods you might try going to the
Women's Club or a local church for recommendations