-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
Moses Clark
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: kbarr
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:06 am 
Sure, it easy for me to avoid the spectacle because I don't have a TV. But I will not avail myself of offers from friends to sit down in front of a big screen TV and party like it's... well... going to happen again next year, yeah. And that all is normal in celebrating the physical domination of one side over another. To the victor go the spoils. Salute the flag as fighter jets fly in formation overhead and the drones kill the other in someplace else. Salute the flag as 200 species a day go extinct. Will one of the specie on the extinction list and with a voice, use it to talk about this madness or to talk about that really creative, entertaining commercial at half-time?

Does it matter that I won't be watching the superbowl? Not to anyone but me, probably. But what else can I do but act with integrity and let go of the results of that action. For example, I did not vote for a war criminal because I thought my vote would change the outcome of the election or that a least-worst candidate would win. I voted for a candidate that was in alignment with my concerns and did not consider it a "wasted" vote because that candidate had no chance to win.

Therefore, I will continue to act in ways that supports life, continue to oppose forces of division and destruction, and withdraw participation in this charade of diverting attention from the reality of our collective emergency. The team I am rooting for is Idle No More, 1 Billion Rising, Occupy, and all the grassroots movements here and around the world that embody principles quite different from what will be seen on superbowl sunday.

(Full disclosure-I am male. I have watched and enjoyed superbowls for about 40 years. Time for change.)

Author: digitalwiz
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:54 am 
Professional football is just a bunch of big, dumb apes going through the motions so they can collect their outrageous salaries and keep the idiot proletariat distracted. Bread and circuses, folks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:09 am 
Is it constructive to point fingers at anyone when we are all complicit? And apes, really?

Author: T-bird-Rick
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:05 pm 
lighten up. The world will end on its own accord. We are insignificant in the shadow of the universe, what happens on Super Bowl Sunday means nothing. Let us apes enjoy our escape from reality. I'm rooting for the Ravens!!!

Author: crow
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:08 am 
The arena has always been a tool of the elite to manipulate the populous. The more aggressive and violent the "games" the better. It is no different today than in the past; the conditioning starts young and by high school the injuries to limb and brain are becoming real and the buy-off for the gladiator may free education, maybe big money and hero worship; the result is that most subjects (fans) of the social conditioning are then ready to carry-out a larger game in the theater of war and business when ordered by those same elite to step up and, for no gain of their own, "be a hero" and get really brutal towards some "enemy". Oh, it works so well, it permeates our family life, business and society as a whole that worships military as our team.

Cheering on the literal brutal beating the physical crap out of the other team or individual is the highest national pastime. The gladiators, just as the environment and social cohesion of our culture are simply collateral damage in the game of dominance and profits. So grab a few beers, turn on the tv, scream some abuse and maybe there will be an added bonus of a fan getting beat-up after the game, or a fight on the field or elsewhere beyond the stadium, hell, life just doesn't get any better than this.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:20 am 
Thanks crow for the accurate analysis of sport in our society. T-bird-Rick it is true I tend to be too serious at times, but when it comes to the death of all life on the planet, I just have to put down the remote and sound the warning. I won't stop until you wake up.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:04 am 
And we should all be cheering for plankton without which there would be no Ravens, 49ers, ravens, or apes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:06 am 
This from, It's a Game Lighten Up Department, research has shown there is a significant rise in violence against wives and girlfriends of fans whose team was favoured to win, but lost. http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare ... ence/25489

Football fans' significant others should check the spread and if it is greater than 4, have your exit strategy in place before the end of the fourth quarter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:13 pm 
And let us not forget, the children are watching. What effect does seeing a male role model inflict physical injury on their mother?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:21 pm 
Might makes right. Basic doctrine of western civilization has been this way for recorded history. To argue this point is only a subtle way of getting your own aggressions out. Face the reality, but then I truly wish you good luck in trying to change the basic instincts of humanity.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:42 pm 
Catchy phrase, Might makes Right. One used by failed empires throughout history to justify acts of stupidity and violence. My reading of the development of man indicates cooperation has played the most important role in societal evolution. I know the task is daunting, but denial only makes it worse.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:42 pm 
"Might Makes Right.." Hummm, so you're saying that all the school shootings, domestic violence, wars are ok because "Might Makes Right". So people are born evil and the family/social influence has no responsibility in the formation of our youth? If we beat and bully them enough they will be right when they beat and bully? Please explain.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:45 pm 
Might makes Right is not defensible, it is what it is. When society can make the intelligent choice, only then can man be kind and compassionate to his fellow man. To argue whether we are intrinsically evil or good is irrelevant. I can only say I treat people according to their present behavior and find it naive for people not be able to defend themselves. I found myself reacting to this passive form of protest ( not watching the SuperBowl ) because I think there are better ways to make your views on violence known. I will be in the One Billion Rising March Feb 14th, voicing with others the outrage of disrespect for women and children. WILL YOU???

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:35 am 
The potential difference between the dominant paradigm and grassroots movements is their mode of operation not goals, positions, and points of view (POV). Goals, positions, and POVs are window dressing on what is really happening. Goals, positions, and POVs can be tools of manipulation. The dominant paradigm is impeccable in the use of appearance to create false perceptions.

And this is what it boils down to; the current paradigm depends on enlisting our assistance in our own enslavement. So the dominant paradigm mode of operation is clear. Coercion.

Grassroots movements naturally arise as cooperative and democratic. This never ensures they continue in that way, but at their core is substance -- real people, doing what needs to be done for the benefit of all.

The time is slipping away to convince people of anything they don't already know. Reality has a way of closing down options when it has been ignored for so long.

So I'm not concerned to get my viewpoint out there, but I would like to suggest alternative actions. Do not participate in life-taking enterprises without taking responsibility for the thriving of their relations. Do not contribute to those who neglect their responsibility. Create and develop webs of cooperation.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:40 pm 
Watching TV in the privacy of my own home I feel does not contribute to the regression of civilization. Enjoy your Sunday however you see fit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:48 am 
If watching TV contributes to the ending of civilization then save me a seat in front of the screen. Civilization or livable planet, which do you choose?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:26 am 
I choose both.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:15 am 
Of course it depends on how you define civilization, but the history of human organization around power for humans, only benefits humans in the short run. Eventually, civilization comes up against the hard reality of the error of ignoring the needs of the system that supports all life. I'm sorry crow, but civilization is going to need an "extreme makeover" to make it to the 22nd. Century, or maybe even superbowl 60.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:19 pm 
Civilization as we define it today is changing. Indeed one might argue that true civilization has not been achieved yet. There is not much that is civil in the world yet but it is process much like climbing an unfamiliar mountain with no trail but the one that is behind us.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:44 pm 
Your definition of civilization is the process of becoming civilized. The civilization I am talking about is as you say, anything but civil. It is by dictionary: 1. An advanced state of intellectual, cultural, and material development in human society, marked by progress in the arts and sciences, the extensive use of record-keeping, including writing, and the appearance of complex political and social institutions. 2. The type of culture and society developed by a particular nation or region or in a particular epoch: Mayan civilization; the civilization of ancient Rome. That's what I am talking about.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:12 am 
The history of civilizations(the process of concentration of resources, disconnected from environmental stewardship) has been one of increasing frequency and severity of assaults on the life-carrying capabilities of the planet. Through synergy, feedback loops, symbiosis, and other processes not known or fully understood; the living earth can be described as the cumulative behavior of interconnected beings, manifested as Gaia or the Gaia Principle. This meta-being, Gaia, is under attack and will respond to the threat. Where is the Gaian immune system response? Has it succumbed to the AIDS of civil life, politics? Why are the churches, mosques, and synagogues silent about environmental degradation, ongoing wars, child abuse, torture, etc.? Labor for Keystone XL pipeline, really?