-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
Moses Clark
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: alan wagman
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:39 pm 
Please spread this far and wide -- to your lists, to social media, etc.

Please cut and paste the message below (modified if you wish) into emails to both of our Senators and to your representative. All can be emailed from their websites. Links are immediately below. (If you'd rather make a phone call, phone numbers are the end of this message.)

https://lujangrisham.house.gov/contact

https://lujan.house.gov/email-me/

https://www.heinrich.senate.gov/contact/write-martin

https://www.tomudall.senate.gov/contact/email-tom

https://pearce.house.gov/contact-me/email-me

Israel’s actions against unarmed protesters in Gaza the past six weeks are horrific. On May 14 alone, the Israeli army has killed 60 unarmed people and injured well over 2,000. Israeli tear gas killed an eight-month-old infant in her mother’s arms. In all, Israel has killed more than 100 unarmed protestors and injured and maimed thousands more.

According to Doctors Without Borders, “It is unbearable to witness such a massive number of unarmed people being shot in such a short time.” The United Nations Human Rights Office tweeted, “It seems anyone is liable to be shot dead or injured: women, children, press, first responders, bystanders, & at almost any point up to 700m from the fence.” The Israeli Human Rights organization B’Tselem continues to call on Israeli soldiers to refuse orders to shoot unarmed protesters, calling the orders “unlawful.”

An increasing number of Members of Congress have issued tweets or statements condemning the killings. These include Representatives Pocan (WI-02), Jayapal (WA-07), Ellison (MN-05), Johnson (GA-04), Grijalva (AZ-03), McCollum (MN-04), Khanna (CA-17), Davis (IL-07, Clark (MA-05), Castro (TX-20), Yarmuth (KY-03)and Lee (CA-13) as well as Senators Sanders (VT) and Feinstein (CA).

Move On calls on “every single Democratic elected official to use their platform and power to demand an immediate end to Israel’s attacks on peaceful protesters in Gaza, and commit to working for a lasting and just peace between Israelis and Palestinians.”

Silence in the face of atrocity is a powerful statement. Please end your silence and use the voice we gave you with our votes:

- Call for Israel to stop killing and injuring unarmed protesters and press.

- Affirm the rights of Palestinians to protest for their right to return home.

- Call for Israel to end its blockade of Gaza; the blockade has been going on for more than a decade and even restricts the amount of food Gazans have available to eat.

- Demand the enforcement of existing U.S. law (especially the Leahy Law) which makes it illegal to provide weapons or training used in the gross violation of human rights.

- Call for an immediate investigation into the killings of Palestinian protesters to see if U.S. law has been violated and requires additional action from the United States.

Please let me know if there is any additional information that I can provide to help. Or you may contact the Albuquerque chapter of Jewish Voice for Peace at albuquerque@jvp.org

PHONE NUMBERS:
Rep. Michelle Lujan Grisham
DC: (202) 225-6316
ABQ: (505) 346-6781

Rep. Ben Ray Lujan
DC: (202) 225-6190
Rio Rancho: (505) 994-0499

Sen. Martin Heinrich
DC: (202) 224-5521
ABQ: (505) 346-6601

Sen. Tom Udall
DC: (202) 224-6621
ABQ: (505) 346-6791

Rep. Steve Pearce
DC: (202) 225-2365
Socorro: (855) 473-2723

Author: siridharma
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:47 am 
Thank you Alan for this information... I am so appalled at what Israel does to Palestinians, but seeing the results of Jared Kushner's "Middle East Peace" work. It's disgusting in the extreme. But now you've given me fodder to DO something.

Author: rearnheart
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:52 pm 
dude...keep yanking the big chains, you're the best.
love to anne
rearnheart

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:53 am 
Staff in Sen. Tom Udall's DC office are informing callers that Sen.Udall condemns violence on all sides but especially Israel's disproportionate force against Palestinians and calls for an independent investigation into Israel's use of force against Gaza protesters.

As of 2:50 p.m. Friday (4:50 p.m. DC time), DC staff said there has been no public announcement or posting yet but confirmed that this is the senator's position.

Note: Machal Maayan, a spokesperson for the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs, was asked by an Irish reporter why Israel shot thousands of unarmed people. She responded (in English), "We can't put all these people in jail."

It is very important to call or email Sen. Udall and thank him and pledge support. If you're up to it, also call or email our other members of Congress and urge them to follow Sen. Udall's example:

Sen. Tom Udall
DC office: (202) 224-6621
ABQ office: (505) 346-6791
email: https://www.tomudall.senate.gov/contact/email-tom

Rep. Michelle Lujan Grisham
DC: (202) 225-6316
ABQ: (505) 346-6781
email: https://lujangrisham.house.gov/contact

Rep. Ben Ray Lujan
DC: (202) 225-6190
Rio Rancho: (505) 994-0499
email: https://lujan.house.gov/email-me/

Sen. Martin Heinrich
DC: (202) 224-5521
ABQ: (505) 346-6601
email:
https://www.heinrich.senate.gov/contact/write-martin

Rep. Steve Pearce
DC: (202) 225-2365
Socorro: (855) 473-2723
email: https://pearce.house.gov/contact-me/email-me

Author: sh1
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:10 am 
Alan -- good to hear from you again. And as always, you bring our attention to a critical (and in this case very painful) issue. The Israeli spokesperson's quote is telling, but one could go farther and essentially say that everyone in Gaza is already in jail. Gaza is a place people are not allowed out of anymore, with dwindling resources, a blockade, and basically no economy. I'm no apologist for Hamas, but the situation in Gaza is untenable, and nothing is being done because the Israelis are doing nothing to address the entire Palestinian issue. Far from putting pressure on the Israelis to move toward a two state solution, or to do anything even remotely humane regarding the Palestinians, Trump/Bolton kowtow to Netanyahu, ensuring no progress will occur for years, and emboldening the Israelis to carry out mass shootings such as what happened this week. Udall is being statesmanlike on the issue, and deserves support. But the overall situation seems to slide ever downward. Love to hear from you what you think a Democratic led Congress in 2019 could try to accomplish in this arena. Shelby

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:12 am 
What do I think a Democratic led Congress would do to change U.S. policy on Israel/Palestine? Hmm. Let me think. Oh. Yeah. NOTHING.

Consider the following:

The Israel Anti-Boycott Act, designed to chill advocacy favoring boycotts of Israel and/or its settlements and pronounced unconstitutional by the ACLU, has 55 co-sponsors in the U.S. Senate, 17 of whom are Democrats -- it would be 18 Dems, but Kirsten Gillibrand withdrew her co-sponsorship for free speech concerns, not substantive grounds. In the House, the bill has 285 co-sponsors, including 74 Democrats. (For the record, all NM Dems oppose based on free speech, I have spoken in person to aides in DC offices of Udall, Heinrich, Lujan, and Lujan Grisham; all oppose on free speech grounds but make no mention of substance; Steve Pearce is a co-sponsor.)

The Promoting Human Rights by Ending Military Detention of Palestinian Children Act, H.R. 4391, which would require the Secretary of State to certify that Israel does not use U.S. aid for (among other things) physical and psychological abuse, up to and including torture of children has exactly 21 co-sponsors. All cosponsors are Dems, but still . . .

The last week of March, a few days before the demonstrations began in Gaza and while Israel was announcing it would be deploying snipers to the Gaza "border" to shoot protesters, Nancy Pelosi and other House Democrats -- including, e.g., Jamie Raskin, one of the most "liberal" members -- met with Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Avigdor Lieberman -- who would be Israel's Steve Bannon if only he were the only outrageous bigot in Israel's government. See http://mondoweiss.net/2018/04/excellent ... u-snipers/

Chuck Schumer told a New York radio station the following in 2010 in the course of warning the Obama administration what side it had better be on: “You know, my name .... comes from the word shomer, guardian, watcher. My ancestors were guardians of the ghetto wall in Chortkov. And I believe Hashem [the name Orthodox Jews use for God] actually gave me that name. One of my roles, very important in the United States Senate, is to be a shomer -- to be a or the shomer Yisrael. And I will continue to be that with every bone in my body ...” He continues to live up to his claim.

Oh, yes. Elect Democrats and all will be well. And I'm welcoming offers for a bridge I own in Brooklyn.

AW

Author: sh1
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:54 am 
Alan -- we can all agree that there are (and will be) Democrats in Congress who are not able to see beyond the traditional "Israel is our unshakeable ally and must be supported at all costs" perspective. But the Republican regime is far worse, instituting a complete tilt toward Netanyahu with no regard for the Palestinian people at all, and with total disregard for the decades of effort to try to create the opportunity for a two state solution. If as I hope there's a Democratic wave, taking at least the House, there will be a countervailing power center in Washington and at least the possibility of generating an opposing stance vis a vis Mr. Trump and Mr. Bolton. In the short run, that's about all we can hope for. And if pressure is applied by us, the Pelosi's of the world can be obliged to speak out against Israeli atrocities like what happened this week. Shelby

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:55 am 
Shelby, D's are better than R's, agreed. The danger lies in thinking that either electing a D is the end or that electing a D is not enough to justify voting. In 2016, someone told me that there was no difference between HRC and Trump. Well...

But there is an acronym that applies to most of even the most left-wing D politicians: PEP. It means "Progressive Except for Palestine." Until recently, that applied completely to Bernie. Even now, Bernie tolerates behavior from Israel that he would condemn from anyone else.

Bottom lines:
(1) We need to thank Udall for condemning the slaughter and the 12-year strangulation of Gaza, and then we need to keep the pressure on so that he goes further.
(2) We need to thank Heinrich for condemning the 12-year strangulation of Gaza, and then we need to keep the pressure on until he goes further.
(3) We need to always remember both that we have to elect them and that just electing them is never enough.
(4) Remembering the truism that one eats an elephant one bite at a time, BON APPETIT!

AW