-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
Gila Community News
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: leeito
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:47 pm 
After visiting the emergency room for the third time in three years, I now know why the hospital is in such a dire straits, financially, and why they don't have the patients that the hospitals in Las Cruces are seeing. Maybe this is why the CEO resigned? Maybe not...
The cost of walking in the doors is outrageous, now mind you I'm not complaining at all about the care I get while in the ER or hospital, because it is excellent, but just the plain cost of the emergency room and the hospitals services. A charge of over $5,000.00 for a three hour visit seems a little outrageous to me, especially when I can drive to Las Cruces, pay for gas, go out to eat and have all my tests run at one of the hospitals down there, and still have a pocketful of money left over.
Not only that, but double charges for tests that were run at the hospital, and then more charges added on by a doctor to read them, is overbearing also....

So now I'm feeling overwhelmed by a $5,000.00 + bill that I just received from the hospital, and I can't even read half of their tests as they don't explain them in detail. I did figure out that I got a tetanus shot while in the ER and it cost me $371.00. Please don't let me get another tetanus shot at the hospital, I'll go see my doctor instead.
Blood work tests are another bane of my issues with the hospital. $800.00 for blood work and other blood tests seem a little expensive to me.

Does anyone else seem to be having these same thoughts and issues with the hospital, or is it only my warped mind?

Author: fargo
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:09 am 
wow, thanks for the warning. I will do my best to stay out of that hospital.

Author: digitalwiz
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:13 am 
Ooohh, I got a horror story that beats that. I had outpatient foot surgery at GRMC about a year and a half ago. I was in surgery for an hour, maybe an hour and a half. The total hospital bill was $12,000. That didn't include the surgeon or the anesthetist. Fortunately, I'm on Medicare so I only paid about 10% of that.

Author: n2ic
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:23 pm 
leeito....

- Could be that Las Cruces hospitals have more patients, because Las Cruces has 10 times the population of Silver City ?

- How do you know what it would have cost at a Las Cruces hospital for the services you received ?

- Tetanus shots are good for 10+ years, so don't go running to your doctor next year for another one.

- If it was really was an emergency, worthy of an ER visit, then you wouldn't be considering driving to a Las Cruces hospital.

Author: PF
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:23 am 
As far as I know, the Emergency Room at GRMC is actually run by an outside organization, Innova, that provides ER Services at many rural hospitals. It seems reasonable to assume that their charges are the same here as at other hospitals they serve.

ER service costs are notoriously high throughout the country. If you are uninsured you can really get soaked. If your issue is not a major one, it is usually best to go to Urgent Care, where the costs tend to be about one-fifth of those in the ER.

Author: almilligan
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:46 am 
Medical billing has always been a mystery to me because almost no one pays the amount billed. Insurance companies get substantial discounts to the bill and a couple of years ago GRMC advertised they would give up to a 50% discount to people who didn’t have insurance.

Hospitals have outrageous billing everywhere in the country including Las Cruces. I was once billed $150 by a hospital in Cruces for three Band-Aids given after an outpatient procedure to change the dressing. I stapled three Band-Aids to the bill and sent it back to them.

Gila Regional is no different from any other hospital in their billing.