-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
Moses Clark
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: SMB
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:13 am 
WNM Communications recently extended their service to our neighborhood in town. Their service and price look good on paper, but I'd love to hear from someone currently using their service in town.

My Qwest/CenturyLink bill has crept up continually with a decline in the quality of my service. I am looking to switch both my landline phone and internet providers. Anyone with an opinion on whether it is wise to keep a real landline along with one's cell service or not please weigh in as well.

Sharon

Author: Patricia Taber
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:14 am 
SMB, I was so tired of inconsistent internet connections I went local with WNM. Combined house phone and internet is $75.13/month. Service is reliable. PT

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:13 pm 
Thanks, Patricia. This helps. I didn't realize they had phone service in our neighborhood, so it's looking better and better for WNM Communications.

Sharon

Author: judithelise
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:20 pm 
Patricia do you watch movies on the internet - like Netflix or Hulu? And if so are you satisfied with the speed. I don't have cable TV so I watch many things on my lap top or tablet. Sharon I can't decide if I should continue to hang on to my land line either. It seems redundant but I am having trouble letting it go even though now that I am retired every penny counts.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:30 am 
I do watch videos, but no movies. Internet speed is medium, fine for what I need it for. I have a roof antenna for my TV and get 16 channels!

Author: JimK
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:33 pm 
I am in the process of porting my home phone line to Ooma (a VOIP provider). I currently have a basic land line and an internet with Century Link. The cost is about $70 per month. I upgraded my internet line to 3Mbs and it will cost $45/month plus tax. When my landline in ported to Ooma I will continue to have the internet from CenturyLink and my landline phone service will be provided by Ooma for $5.61/month (taxes). The Ooma line has free long distance, whereas my basic CenturyLink phone did not provide long distance. I did have to purchase a internet adapter for $90 from Amazon and pay a porting fee of $40. Those are one time costs. I expect to save about $25/month and have long distance on my phone.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:03 pm 
Judithelise, we keep debating the safety factor of having our phones based on two different technologies...cell and landline...but I'm not sure it's worth it anymore. JimK mentioned Ooma, a VoIP service, and it's tempting.

I just spoke with WNM Communications, and they said that although they provide service to my neighborhood they have no phone lines available. They rent phone lines from Century Link. Looks like change is not a possibility at this time unless we go with two different providers, one for phone service and one for internet.

Also, WNM Communications only serves our area (6th and E Streets) with wireless. Their tower is located on Mountain View Rd., so it depends on line of sight. I'd really like to hear from someone who has this service. Their service through the phone lines has a speed of 7mbps and the wireless service is 25 mbps. Quite a difference if it works here.

Patricia, is your internet service wireless?

Thanks to everyone for the information you are generating here.

Sharon

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:51 am 
Sharon, I have a WNM modem and it gives me wireless service all around the house.