-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
Moses Clark
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: c breen-lee
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:27 pm 
Is anyone familiar with HughesNet?
They sound better than Century Link, but the $400 cancellation fee has me worried.
I'd appreciate any input, both positive & negative.
Thanks

Author: Khart
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:13 am 
We used HughesNet for awhile, over a decade ago when we were traveling a lot in our motorhome and then when we lived in Mexico. It requires a special satellite antennae that has to be pointed precisely at their satellite. The speed was OK but not great. It was fairly expensive and required a lengthy (annual I believe) commitment. We used it because it was the only viable choice at the time. They may have improved their service, but I doubt it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:45 pm 
Thank you
They are offering 10GB to Century Link's 1.5 where I live. I know they require a dish, but when my Century Link line was cut it took 4 days for them to come repair it. Their cost is quite a bit lower for the next 2 yrs anyway.

Author: Bruce
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:48 pm 
The most important issue with HughesNet or any other satellite system is whether they have a data limit. Most satellite systems do have a data limit, which means you can only use a certain amount of data. If you stream a lot of video or have some other significant data needs, this is really not a good idea. The limit is usually less than you want. Better to have unlimited slow data (if it's not too slow) than limited fast data. I have also never experienced speeds as fast as they claim on satellite systems, although I haven't used one for quite a while. I believe Dish Network also has satellite internet.

At one site where I can't get Century Link I use a T-Mobile hot spot. It has data limits, but depending on what you do on the internet and where you live it may be faster than satellite.

WNM Communications is starting a radio-based internet service in Silver City that on paper looks better than Century Link. If you live in Arenas Valley or Pinos Altos you may able to get service from a new radio-based service from Kurt Albershardt. And of course there's Comcast cable if you can get it. They are usually fast, but their customer service is even worse than Century Link.

Bruce

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:59 pm 
Thank you but nothing is worse than Century Kink. We need phone & internet, but not TV. We only watch Netflix & YouTube.

Author: bobstockdale
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:31 am 
I use Hughsnet. Its fine for daily light use, but if I need to do any extended research, the data limit is a pain. it also doesn't work when there's snow on the dish.

Author: mimbresgranny
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:53 pm 
I cannot speak to Century Link.
I am very pleased with Hughsnet. Their data limit is much better than what I had with Dish/NetBlue which is my only other choice and the service is somewhat more reliable. Their latest upgrade really did make it faster and helped with the data limit. Btw: The data limit means your speed slows down, not automatic charges like a phone. They do have a more expensive option to increase the high speed time.

I can see that if you are concerned about moving again within the 2 years to somewhere that you wouldn't be using their service but don't they all do that?

Yes, unlike a cable service, there is a disruption of service when it snows hard, but perhaps you can have it installed where you can wipe it with a broom. That has only been a minor annoyance here in NM. Mine is on a pole in the yard rather than on the roof.