-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
Moses Clark
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: crow
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:02 pm 
A tagger at the Wells Fargo ATM at 2:46 am July 8th. (Note: I Photoshopped this in an attempt to make it clearer.)
For an update to my Saturday article showing photos of 4 of the 6 graffiti attacks that day (read it HERE) the SCPD has sent info on all 13 for the days between July 8th to July 19th. Below is the press release with an explanation of the photo above:

"Since July 8th, 2015, the Silver City Police Department has received 13 complaints of graffiti. Of those, seven of those occurred over this last weekend.

Dates reported and locations:

July 8, 2015:
New Mexico Gas Company at 1100 N. Hudson
Dairy Queen at 306 E. 12th Street
Domino’s Pizza at 714 N. Bullard Street
Wells Fargo at 1201 N. Pope Street

July 9, 2015:
Dandelion Wish at 109 N. Bullard Street

July 11, 2015:
W. Kelly Street and N. Pinos Altos Street

July 19, 2015:
111 W. Kelly Street
N. Arizona and W. Broadway Street
Domino’s Pizza at 714 N. Bullard Street
505 W. Yankee Street
The Rec Center at 1012 N. Silver Street
Food Basket at 1220 N. Hudson Street

July 20, 2015:
La Plata Middle School at 3400 N. Silver Street

We believe two different groups are committing these crimes. The male subject photographed in reference to the damage at the Wells Fargo ATM machine appears to be in his teens.

Anyone with information about these crimes are urged to call the Silver City Police Department at 575-538-3723 or Grant County Crime Stoppers hotline at 575-538-5254. Calls can remain anonymous."

Author: JE1947
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:05 am 
For years, I've been frankly amazed at the intricate and often artistic nature of the "tagging" that one sees on freight cars moving along the rails along I-10, headed east or west. Even before that, if I happened to drive by "railyards" in several large cities, I always look ... what's new? The "language" is strange, and often reminds me of a Grateful Dead language, and "font," that was tilted sometimes, as if the letters were human figures bent over at the waist, kind of leaning back, mimicing the character Zap Comics used to feature .... Mr. Natural ... and the lettering used by Grateful Dead Artisits was oren cryptic. "AOXOMOXOA" was one of the Dead's more trippy albums. The whole thing seemed to evoke a sense that the psychedelic drugs had bent one over, under the "weight" of the experience. Harkenings to the Zoot Suit era; the baggy pants, watches, a laid back stride. That sort of "tagging" therefore seemed artistic, born, I guessed, in the big cities, among the railroad yards, where hundreds, perhaps thousands of freight cars would be parked.

When I was a teen, in my Indiana town, we, too, had large freight yards. Often, we scamper around the long lines of parked freights. Sometimes, in vandalism mode, we'd break the seals on the locks on some of the cars, to see what was in them, as they awaited shipment ... east, west, maybe even north or south from where we were. So, I guess, the excitement of being chased by railroad yard detectives was always there. Hemingway, Steinbeck, Kerouac, all those guys and many more ... talk about hopping freights.

In the last 20 years, hopping freights can be a lethal business. Gangs operate on the lines and they are vicious. I suppose some people have more up-to-date stories of everything being cool. But the climate seemed more viciious and very dangerous the last I checked.

The tagging of graffiti, though, on ATMs, or other objects that might represent a business, seems more like ... yeah, vandalism. There have been some truly creative murals opened up here under supervision that bring credit to the artistic talents of the artists, young mostly. Sometimes, a spurt of this graffiti is located on some new personality in town who is trying this modern approach to pissing on fire hydrants. My guess is: there's some kind of psychological agenda the perpetrator(s) have ... one inspiring others ... acting out ...but my guess would be ... if caught ... some hefty fines and public cleaning off of their work, preferably on a day when word has been passed ...perhaps after school is let out ... that the cleaning will take place.

Maybe psychologists would say that's counter productive. But if the site tagged was public, then there doesn't seem to be any alternative but to have it cleaned as part of restitution ... in public. Even after 5 PM, if the site is public, that should be part of the deal.

And suggestions to get the perpetrator to counseling. Something's up. There musts be psychological profiles available. And it's always good that several local artists have worked with young people to create murals in town. That gives others a chance to experience larger scale public art creation. Silver City has many fine artists who probably are supportive of that. Spray painting a public building, ATM, seems off base. But, what do I know?? Maybe I'm just getting old.

Author: SCNeighbors Alliance
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:45 am 
We have some distinctions in the "industry" of "graffiti." First, there's a big difference between graffiti and street art.

Graffiti is a form of personal expression done by those who wish to send a message. In the 1600s, it was done to oppose the king.

Now, it's used to send information on where heroin and meth can be bought, where guns can be traded, or when one person wants to "take on" another person for the purposes of gaining group power.

Gangs use graffiti and on train cars, on buildings, fences, utility/meter boxes, large rocks, and hidden places, e.g., the backside of the vertical traffic-impending poles at the base of Yankie Creek. Graffiti is a language studied by law enforcement and others who wish to "read" these messages for the purpose of gathering intelligence.

Street art, a form of personal artistic expression, is done by artists on the streets. This art typically appears only on large "canvases," i.e., walls, i.e., sides of buildings, subway walls, or on tunnel walls under overpasses in our ditches. Sometimes, a wonderful person such as DLE organizes students to create a wall mural, a form of street art, with paints, tiles, glass, and other artistic media.

The Silver City Neighborhood Alliance's Graffiti Gone Team and the Silver City Police Department have worked together for the past three years to remove or paint over graffiti in our Downtown's historic district. We typically do not remove street art, but if it is done without permission there's a good chance it will eventually be removed because someone will complain.