-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
Moses Clark
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: crow
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:44 pm 
More properly called WiFi Meters because the meter broadcasts the usage numbers over WiFi that is captured by a WiFi Receiver mounted on a vehicle, and is recorded on a computer as the vehicle drives by.

Tuesday evening the Silver City Town Council passed a notice of intent to issue a 4.25+ Million Dollar bond to install the meters on all metered water users. Part of the bond will be used to pay off a sewer infrastructure loan so as to receive a better interest on the bonds. As I reported in an earlier article, the Town and YESCO, an Albuquerque energy services company installed some test WiFi Meters which demonstrated savings to both residents and the water department; enough savings to be able to payoff the bond without any tax increase nor extra cost to the Town.

In a similar deal that brought a Solar Array to provide clean energy, by Affordable Solar, to the water treatment plant, YESCO will own and maintain the meters and guarantee that all cost of the bond will be covered by savings even if they have to pay any short-fall.

In my year long investigation of this story I learned that if this is successful the Town and YESCO will be looking at a Solar Array at the Gabby Hayes water well, the deepest and most productive well, that would pump water into the Town water system using clean energy during peak electric cost hours.

During the meeting it came to light that some Federal Conservation Grant dollars will be available that NM is the last state to utilize and Silver City will be the first NM municipality to claim the dollars to our benefit.