-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
John Crow
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: digitalwiz
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:55 am 
From the FWIW department, this was quoted in this morning's USA Today from an article in Slate by Jacob Weisberg (emphasis mine):

"Health care systems are not just policy choices but expressions of national character and values. ...

All advanced, wealthy countries have structures that are more egalitarian and cost-effective than ours. Each also has its quirks. ...

America's evolved, undesigned system is also an expression of our culture at its best and its worst. Health care in the United States is innovative, entrepreneurial, expensive, litigious and wasteful. It is decentralized, driven by self-interest, excellent at the high end, and increasingly unequal. It resists acknowledging trade-offs or limts and is characterized by shocking gaps in basic care. As we plunge into a long-overdue comprehensive overhaul, it's useful to think not just about how we can build on what works ... but about how we can bring health care into better alignment with our own national identity."

Author: digitalwiz
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:42 pm 
Here's a little health care reform quiz put together by the Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL), a Quaker group. It'll help you sort through the Fox "News" lies and give some perspective to the health care debate. Enjoy!

How good a job has the press done in informing you about the health care reform debate?

Make a note of all answers that seem right to you -- some questions have more than one answer. Then check your answers here http://www.fcnl.org/issues/item.php?item_id=3696&issue_id=150.

1. In the health care reform plans that Congress is considering, who would decide what insurance plan I have for myself and my family?
a. the health advisory board in my local area
b. my employer
c. me
d. a lottery

2. Two congressional proposals would set up a “public insurance plan.” FCNL believes a public insurance plan is an essential component of any health care reform proposal. Who pays for this plan?
a. my tax dollars
b. insurance companies
c. private individuals
d. employers

3. True or false: The health reform proposals would start rationing health care.

4. Who would make “end of life” decisions under the proposals Congress is considering?
a. the patient and his or her family
b. the doctor
c. the health advisory board
d. the hospital.

5. True or false – Everyone will be required to have health coverage of some kind, even if they have to purchase it.

6. A lot more of us are living on the edge right now and simply can’t afford health insurance. How will these plans make health care affordable to us?
a. Medicaid will be expanded to cover more people.
b. The government will provide subsidies.
c. Employers will be required to cover more people.

7. What are the major expenses in the health reform proposals?
a. Medicaid expansion
b. Medicare reforms
c. The public plan
d. Subsidies to make health care affordable

8. What effect will these grand proposals have on the federal budget deficit?
a. Health care reform will increase the deficit…duh. All the plans spend money; money has to come from somewhere.
b. Not doing health care reform will increase the deficit
c. Health care reform will decrease the deficit because the government will spend less than it would otherwise spend.