-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
Moses Clark
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: crow
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:00 pm 
Sometime in the middle of the day Thursday the 14th the traffic lights at the intersection of Bullard and Broadway went out. The SC Fire responded as they do for traffic lights but couldn't fix them, how perfect, now we could run the experiment I had ask for a month or so ago. As readers will recall I had approached, after a fatality in the intersection and many wrecks, both Alex Brown and SCPD Chief Reynolds about trying an experiment of having just 4 red blinkers for a 4 way stop just to see how it went. For different reasons they each were not too receptive but ask for a DOT Engineer study.

Friday morning I called Chief Reynolds and ask if the Town was watching, indeed, they had had a meeting that very morning about watching how it went with the thought in mind of leaving them as a 4 way stop. So far I've had a number of people tell me they like it this way.

There had been other proposals put forth but this one would not result in loss of parking spaces as some of the others would which is not good.

Note to the Town: Red flags on the 2 new stop signs on Bullard at 6th St would really help to draw awareness to those stop signs also.

Author: JE1947
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:50 am 
I think that this is a worthwhile experiment. The traffic on Bullard is tricky enough. I recently heard that a survey was being conducted by the Coop to determine if patrons would patronize the Coop if it were moved out of downtown. I'd say: that may make business sense, as larger buildings are available. Has anything happened with the Red Barn property? It's still "in town" and on bus routes. And, has parking. But the vibrancy of downtown, with all the foot traffic and the "hangout" atmosphere of the Coop at the Present location ... is something that "is" Silver City. I know that I'm amazed every time an 18-wheeler manages to unload on 6th Street, and not knock over buildings, poles, people ... a testament to drivers with great skills. We shouldn't forget teamsters, whether they're unionized or not. A friend told me that one big group of people and jobs that might be "robotized" will be "long haul truckers." I can see that. It makes sense. But one wonders about the pick up and drop off negotiations to get those trucks into tight spaces. The 4 way stop at the Coop is good. I've almost forgotten it. Eeek!! I wonder if they have any reflective illumination that works at night. I hate to think of blowing through that one. But it feels safer with the 4 way stop. Another one, at Bullard and Broadway, will be good. It is a sign,of course, that we are a small town. That may mess with those who persist in roaring down Bullard with motorcycles, or, God forbid, ATVs. Yahoo. Silver City is a unique town in SW NM. It's something special. Two four way stops aren't going to kill any business. The idea of two of these will cause some slower driving. I think. But, as an experiment, I first went: aw, no. But then, remembering an elderly couple mown down at the corner of Broadway and Bullard, maybe a descanso should be erected in their memory. After all, it is now a "casualty corner." For those who lost their loved ones, always will be. If the experiment doesn't pan out, we tried. that is also in the nature of "teeny town," Silver City.