-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
John Crow
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: crow
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:24 pm 
The trees and native plants at the Community Orchard behind the Office of Sustainability are thriving but so is the trash. In a visit Saturday I marveled at the beauty, then I saw it, trash and nowhere to put it; not a trash barrel nor recycle bin to be seen. Of course it, the trash could have blown in from the Town parking lot nearby which likewise has no trash barrel nor recycle bin. Of course the community is responsible for their own trash but other community parks like Gough Park have trash receptacles and sometimes recycle bins, why not the Community Orchard Park.

A closer look reveals a small area example with 2 plastic water bottles, a plastic soda bottle and 2 soda cans, but there was more. Not having a bag to carry away the trash I looked for a trash barrel or recycle bin and found none so there it stayed.

On another note, it has been suggested that those passing through or there for a visit need to pull the baby elms that are proliferating the Orchard Park before they overcome the fruit trees and native plants.

Author: frances
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:45 am 
Stewardship is the trick for success in this amazing project. Keeping away from the trunk by a few inches lay down newspaper double thickness and THEN mulch (with straw/chips)...weed first, of course. Oh, and get those elm seedlings out as they emerge; so much easier than ignoring them as they become more ornery to pull. The trash? Isn't it everywhere? Isn't it sad?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:57 pm 
In an update to my article: In a conversation today with Assistant Town Manager James Marshall this subject came up and since he had been made aware of the situation the Town was pledging to install both trash barrels and recycle bins and a discussion was begun to make this orchard park either part of the parks department or a Town open space. I ask if the parks department would maintain it if it was declared open space, he said no, I said then I vote for park status.

The Elms are out of control, yesterday as I was installing some plant identification tags I pulled 12 baby elms from in and around 1 little yarrow plant.

Author: leeito
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:23 pm 
It's just like the trash that I pickup every time I go for a walk around the neighborhood or even fishing at Bill Evans lake. If people weren't such pigs, and actually cared about something other than their own self image, then this country would be much more beautiful. Drive down any highway and look at the trash. What's even worse is there is no call for all this trash. Like the forest service says, "pack it in, pack it out". And while were on the subject of trash, something needs to be done up at the end of Silver street, by and around the water tank. People have been dumping trash, limbs, and waste all over this area because no one manages it or patrols it. Shouldn't this be the town's job? To go explore these areas, and remove the waste?
If I had taken a trash bag with me (I hadn't been to this area before) then I would have picked it all up, but, I'll have to do it next time.

People, give a hoot and don't pollute. This is your country also, and you should take some pride in it!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:38 pm 
Thanks leeito, well said. I'll be watching for the Town installing at least a couple of recycle bins in what is being called the Office of Sustainability Orchard (Town Department, Town Land) and hopefully at the Town parking lot near by. As to your discovery on Silver St:

Would that be North Silver, is the trash dumping onto Town owned property or Town Right-Of-Way or on private land. Regardless, a complaint needs to be filed with code enforcement or the Community Development Department, both at the Town Annex on the corner of Hudson and 12th St, perhaps they will set up a frequent patrol and even try to determine the perpetrators by searching their trash.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:56 am 
While doing very labor intensive work and having expertise in large undertakings using specialized equipment I think it unwise to ask town personnel to pitch in with more fine tuned projects like the orchard. A well placed bin for garbage/recycling is a start. Not knowing who bought the trees and provided the vision, more importantly for this greening effort I ask what was/is the plan? Surely "the plan" includes maintenance (whatever that looks like for yarrow plant or a plum sapling) by way of people doing this micro Parks service. Without becoming a bore, I am in a position to write that the excitement and pride and volunteerism for living /growing garden ventures can FIZZLE once all the pieces are in place/in the earth....yet this is where the real project begins. Upkeep is never quite what it might be, then in a kamikaze stroke one might see a feverish effort to do what could have been done easily over the course of a few visits to the projects. Anyway...something to consider. If you have a feel for this stuff it's soothing to coddle growing things and if paced does the utmost for plant and person. This earthy pact is one that all gardeners know.

Author: Van Clothier
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:44 pm 
Stream Dynamics has been picking up trash and weeding this site petriodically since construction. This is normal. Claire and I weeded and removed trash last friday. Today, Max, Justin, Russell and Layne from the Wellness Coalition YCC crew very carefully weeded out the long spine sand burr (native grass that has a horrible seed), Goat Head, tumbleweed, and siberian elm. There were hundreds of tiny (4" tall) siberian elm seedlings. They are all gone. We cleaned up the trash that had blown or floated in to the site from a nearby parking lot. It is not our fault that some people throw trash. Just for the record, Stream Dynamics has an agreement with the Town of Silver City that we will maintain all of our water harvesting projects for a period of one year, produce a maintenance plan for each site, then pass on the maintenance responsibility to others.

In the case of curb cuts on Town Right-of Way in front of somebody's house, such a project is only done if the adjacent property owner wants it and agrees to take over the maintenance after a period of one year. The city code requires property owners to maintain the city easement in front of their property anyway, so this is not a change, just an explainatiuon. This is important for many reasons. Firstly, we need to keep going back to each site so that we can learn how it is performing during water and sediment flows, how the plants are growing, etc. Sometimes we need to redesign the inlets until they work properly without much maintenance. We are learning a lot in the process. Another reason is that it would be unfair to burden the Parks or Streets department with all this extra work. The whole point of this intensive water harvesting project is to get buy-in from the town, so please everybody, if there is any problem with any of the sites, contact Stream Dynamics Directly and we will go out and fix. Don't bother the Town, call Van Clothier at (575) 590-0549 or Claire Catlett at (575) 654-1350

Stream Dynamics is still looking for more sites to do this work. Our New Mexico Environment Department grant was to pay for 80 projects. we are about half way done. If you have a garden or orchard or nice landscaping in your yard, and have been paying big water bills to irrigate your plants while watching lots of water go down the street past your yard in a rainstorm, then call us up. We have been working with flowing water in the desert southwest for 16 years. We can simultaneously provide you with more water than you ever thought you could get AND protect all of your infrastructure from flooding.

The Community Orchard at the Office of Sustainability is a tremendously successful project and partnership with funding from NM State forestry, The Volunteer Center, and the New Mexico Environment Department. We have partnered with many entities including the Town of Silver City, High Desert Native Plants, Green Energy Now, Richard Felger, the Office of Sustainability, Kendra Milligan and her Community Orchard project, Bart Hyatt and many others. Once the water harvesting features and basins were constructed, there was a very successful tree planting during this year's Earth Day event at Gough Park. We had many helpers planting including our new Mayor Ken Ladner, councilor Linda Aiman-Smith, Cheyenne the tree expert, and many others. Please add your name to be counted as someone who worked on this project and supports its betterment.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:31 am 
Happy reading that trees are being nurtured for a long term and that trash is being removed methodically. And by "support" Van, do you mean a labor team? I support these mini orchards but cannot volunteer to tend them. Good that so far that YCC is playing a part.The "grove"/garden in Penny Park is a wonder. So clever to mix kids and growing things in one designated space...Carry on!

Author: lalalynda
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:56 am 
Van, thanks to you and your colleagues for the continuing work on this and other Green Infrastructure projects that benefit the sustainability and resiliency of our Community. I know that Kendra Milligan (the energy behind these mini-orchard tree planting care projects) and Denise Smith (of the Office of Sustainability) go out and weed also. As have I on a number of occasions, pulling up large quantities of sprouting elm trees. We must have had an amazing quantity of elm seeds this year -- and of course, they ALL came up.

Handy trash cans and recycling bins are on their way. That will help ease the efforts of tending the area. This community orchard will bear fruit in a few years, and that fruit can be used by any passer-by. I am pulling weeds periodically there now, because I plan to avail myself of a piece of fruit some time in the future.

Van these projects are investments in our own future well being. Thanks again.

Author: leeito
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:35 pm 
Crow,

To answer your question the property it is at the end of North Silver street. I do not know whom the actual owner of the property is, but am investigating it. And, I have filed complaints with the code enforcement and community development dept. Let's hope something gets done, as I know I'm doing my part.