-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
Moses Clark
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: crow
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:55 pm 
At Tuesday"s ToSC Council meeting Council passed a hands free ordinance that was introduced in May by Councilman Jose Ray. Anybody driving a motor vehicle, motor cycle or driving any pedal powered vehicle is prohibited from holding a phone to talk or text. The ordinance also prohibits police and firemen from holding and talking or texting on a cellphone while driving. The ban excludes emergency 911 calls. The fine for all will be $200.00 though I'm unsure if cops will write a ticket to another cop. Looks like the ordinance becomes effective on July 1, 2016, next month.

Back 2012 Ray introduced the same ordinance but the council only banned texting.

The file below is the NOI but contains the language that will become the new ordinance.

Attachment:
Ord1246CellPhoneBan.pdf [36.1 KiB]
Downloaded 85 times

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:48 pm 
An update and correction from the SCPD:
"The ordinance becomes enforceable on Thursday, June 23, 2016. For the first month, motorist and bicyclist will be stopped and verbally warned of the changes in the ordinance. On or after July 23rd, officers will begin enforcement on those who are seen using their cellular phones or radio-telephones, either talking or texting, while operating a motor vehicle or bicycle.

The Town will be posting signs at or near the town limits indicating “Hands Free” cell phone usage only. These signs will be placed on Highway 180 East, Highway 180 West and Highway 90 South. Additional signage will be posted on Pope Street, Hudson Street and Silver Heights Blvd. "

Author: MineralMama
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:12 am 
I hope this applies equally to law enforcement, as well. I have seen several officers looking down often -- assuming they're texting
while driving!

Author: Bruce
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:46 am 
Some of the media reports were contradictory about whether the ordinance includes hands-free use for texting or calls. I would have opposed the ordinance had it banned hands-free cell phone use, but it doesn't. Section B of the ordinance says: "This section shall not apply to:" and lists the exceptions for emergencies. The second exception is: "The use of a hands free mobile telephone when it is being used in a hands free manner."

I know some officials wanted to ban any cell phone use as distracting, but to be consistent you would have to ban kids in the car, rock and roll on the radio, or all kinds of potential distractions. My personal distraction is that I listen to audio books in the car. I don't think this is dangerous normally, but there have been times when messing with the volume or fast forwarding with my hands while driving has been risky. Reading this ordinance carefully, it bans using any hand-held device while driving. I'll have to set up my audio before I start, or pull over to change it. That's probably a good thing.

But does this ordinance ban punching the buttons to change channels on your radio? Does it ban skipping a track on your CD player? Maybe technically it does, although enforcement would be almost impossible. I hope this would be very low priority.

Bruce

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:06 am 
Remember tis starts Thursday June 23. The ordinance bans "hand held communication device" devices so a radio or cd player mounted in the vehicle is permitted.

Also some media outlets cited the fine as "up to $500" but the ordinance clearly states "Section 50-2 (Penalty assessments) is amended by deleting the Common Name of Offense “Texting while driving” listed as last in the penalty assessment schedule and replacing that offense with “Use of mobile telephone or other electronic communication device while driving”. The “Ordinance Violated” shall remain 12-6-18 and the “Penalty Assessment” for that offense shall be increased to $200.

The full ordinance can be found here: http://www.townofsilvercity.org/r/town_ ... ,4hk3s#NOI or downloaded from my original article above.

Author: elektron
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:50 pm 
I note the ordinance says it does not apply to law enforcement, medical, fire, an emergency response operator, and it excludes also, "...devices that are physically or electronically integrated into a motor vehicle..." I presume (and hope) that particular language means the ordinance doesn't impact bolted-in two-way radios with a fixed, external antenna. If these two-way radios are not clearly excluded from the ordinance, the police will be very busy writing up the city's own radio-dispatched crews, PNM trucks, NM Gas Co. trucks, users of a CB radio (including radios used for moving mobile homes and over-sized hauls), Forest Service vehicles, NMDOT crews working on local roads and signal lights, Game & Fish, the list is long. All these radios must use hand-held microphones.

Last edited by elektron on Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Author: rowanm13
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:21 am 
I am totally confused. Can I drive through Silver City limits talking on my hands free headset or not?

Author: elektron
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:00 am 
Rowanm13: If you are hands-free, you have no worries.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:49 pm 
You can drive through Silver City while talking on a hands-free device.