-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
Moses Clark
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: crow
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:37 pm 
In the area of the tree removal in front of Bowden Hall, soil has begun to be removed for either a terrace or, ideally, a water catchment as this hillside and the building roofs have remarkable runoff onto College St; but these are only a portion of the source that contributes to some serious flooding on College St.

Again I'm at the east end of Bowden Hall standing on the parking lot behind Bowden Hall, on the right is the pile of dirt in the area shown above, it is being moved to the pile on the left. Behind me is a large parking lot that drains onto this hillside and onto College St. The parking lot gets a little water from the top of 10th St near the museum.

The landscape work has extended to the front of Light Hall with the removal of a terrace wall and soil. The front portion of Light Hall is the School of Business and is being remodeled inside and out. According to a WNMU Press Release: "Phase II renovations to Light Hall took place during summer of 2014 and fall of 2015 with upgrades to Light Hall Auditorium that now serves as a movie theater for the community. Those efforts were recognized by the State of New Mexico with a New Mexico Heritage Preservation award." The current work is expected to increase usability and energy efficiency.

Author: almilligan
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:44 am 
One thing to remember is that most of the landscaping, except for the Light Hall building, is being paid for by a charge of $9 per credit on the students. A full time student will pay over $240 per year for the projects.

And keep in mind that photos of the before and after will go into their resumes as the administration looks for "better" jobs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:55 am 
Silver City has already spent 100's of thousands of tax dollars trying to deal with the runoff so I'm hoping this actually improves the situation. If it works and looks good on someones resumé than so be it.

Author: frances
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:49 am 
Yes...those beautiful Arizona cypress (the Ents of that quadrant of campus) are gone. I know that an informed consultation with the president occurred regarding runoff and the usual heedless water events that take place as a result of old infrastructural think at WNMU.There is frequently a small creek running DOWN HILL from the UNI to sewers or The Big Ditch (San Vicente Creek..) an act of complete disregard for this precious resource. Poke around the campus and you will see sound buildings emptied out for new construction (Holiday Inn-like dorms ) while the curiously appealing mega solid unused dorms/classrooms below are left to rot and the land above with it's prior ability to buffer flooding gets eaten up. Oh...and I wonder what the PLANS are for the runoff of those new structures? Will the streets be the byway of choice, since old think pushes all water away from buildings on to concrete to run it's merry way to...again...whatever is at the bottom of the hill...oh...that's right, our major historical business and residential area. The area that is such a draw for locals and tourists alike. The streets where people live and try to scrape out a living. Something about those MacMansion dorms waaaay up there on the hill, conveniently placed to overlord or overlook the minions below...errr we can't hear you....a physical extension perchance of the true feelings of WNMU's upper caste.

Author: ynotwrite2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:05 pm 
quick to judge, eh? got too much time on your hands ? meethinks something to do with a rake, hoe, shovel in the public spaces, would be preferable, somehow, to dissing President Joe. People seem to like to have nice spaces to get their education in. for myself a shack with a watertight roof would have sufficed, but almost to a person that idea sucks. If Western remains a funky old dump, eventually the students will drift elsewhere, and their and their student loan money and their parents' will too. So take a deep breath, try to see another side to all this. maybe it'll work out for Prez, WNMU, and not so incidentally for the rest of us.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:34 pm 
Do you realize that the administration game plan for Western is to have most of programs and students online, so neither the students nor their parents will ever see the Silver City campus with its new grass and trees and will not contribute to the economy of Silver City. In fact as the online program grows even the faculty will not have to live in Silver City or in the state of New Mexico. About the only students that will have to be on campus are those on athletic teams.

Author: elektron
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:25 pm 
Interesting that you say Western plans to transition to largely on-line education. Seems odd, then, that the regents built the dorms and are landscaping, improving Light Hall, built the movie theater, etc., when all they need is what, a server? Have you (solid) proof of this charge?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:38 pm 
From President Shepard's mouth to my ear at the Watering Hole with witnesses. His model is Southern New Hampshire University

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:55 pm 
Oh my god, he really said that? Oh, wait, do I really care? elektron be right, a mostly online school indeed, once an angry young man now an angry old man. Perhaps the prez needs to go down the road, I don't know, but you haven't come with anything but empty anger.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:06 am 
Crow: If you feel that all I have to offer to the discussion is "empty anger", I will no longer insult your Form or bore your readers with further posts.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:01 am 
Some of your material is interesting and probably accurate and some is just that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:06 am 
...and I have lots of time this morning too.
Wasn't WNMU a highly revered "normal" school? It was the first teachers' college west of the Mississippi; the old photographs of the original building sitting on the hill above town can be seen at the Silver City Museum. Today there are buildings, campus, teachers and students. Seems like the basis for a good school and good education. Imagine this facility in some corner of Afghanistan. It would be Harvard. Does everyone understand the genuine dissatisfaction with how this institution stumbles and falls, come up short, blindly goes about it's business and does whatever Daddy Warbucks says? A school is not a mine, period. Mr. Shepard may have good intentions but is most likely thwarted by higher powers. In the end the town is handed a school the wiggles and wobbles towards an online presence, when what actually exists right now today could be a GEM. One inspired figurehead, trusted and freed to carry out the righting of WMNU's lackluster gestalt will never occur with Big Mine Money influence. As well...and I genuinely need to learn this...Why does a billion dollar concern even care what does or does not happen at WNMU. Just throw them the money and go along your merry way, put on a halo for 15 minutes and see if you like the way it feels. Let WNMU be your indulged child...let your indulged child choose his or her own path.. Trust that the institution will grow up/make you proud. Let this cluster of citizens called Silver City have something about which to hold their heads high.

Author: JimRedford
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:33 am 
State building codes and local ordinances require that new projects minimize runoff effects on surrounding properties. This has been true since about 1992. In general, the requirement is that a project doesn't increase the existing runoff. From 1992 through 2014, all the projects at WNMU that might affect runoff were approved by the appropriate officials prior to construction. Most of the solutions involve detention structures. Some of them are not obvious, since they are underground. For example, the small parking lot on the north side of 12th Street across from the Martinez building has an underground detention structure designed to reduce the runoff that had formerly affected some downstream residences off the university property. This was more than was required, but was provided at the request of the Town. Other storage devices have been provided at the football field and stadium, the School of Nursing, and in the area to the west of the Administration Building.

These same regulations apply to the projects while they are under construction. In many cases this results in temporary structures that are meant to control runoff and subsequent pollution while the project is being built, and are ultimately removed. These are not always obvious, but a good example of this is the plastic runoff barriers, sandbags, and hay bales you see during road and highway construction.

I am not familiar with the details of projects completed recently, but I see no reason to assume that they haven't been subject to the same rules and regulations.

Author: elektron
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:14 am 
With regard to an earlier post implying "mine money influence" at WNMU...I have my doubts it's happening. (But I'm open to good information.) For example, Freeport has no scholarships at the local institution, preferring instead to fund scholarships at the engineering schools in NM and Ariz., with the goal of recruiting young engineers, which the mines always need. In NM, the scholarships are at NMSU in 'Cruces and the School of Mines in Socorro. And that is where the company makes sizable donations, too. For example, some might recall the headlines not long ago when the mines gave a cool $1 million to NMSU engineering. Western regents grouched that WNMU doesn't get that kind of mine money. And similar sums have gone to Socorro. It's a shame. Our institution deserves more mine support, in my view.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:12 am 
Thanks Jim, indeed the university is playing catch-up on most of their 80+ acres but that is slowly changing after many years of neglect. One catchment you didn't mention is the huge one below the new parking lot for the new dorms; it does have some issues that hopefully will be addressed not too long in the future.

The catchment you mention at the corner of the nursing school is beautiful and seems to be quite functional. Aldo HS YCC has don a series of beautiful and functional catchments up 10th, 12th, below the tennis courts and in front of McCray Gallery, all of which I have done articles about. Like I said, I'm hoping that this landscape job will be effective in reducing runoff down College St though there will still be a major source yet to be dealt with that is just east of this area.

Photo above is the latest Aldo HS YCC double pond catchment at Regent Row Apartments on the WNMU grounds, it catches water from a parking lot above.

Author: frankie26
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:43 pm 
Al, I would like you to continue to post your information/opinions, regardless if Crow doesn't like or agree with them. I for one have posted stuff which is apparent to me that he does not like. I, on the other hand will not be like the few majority of those that act, talk, and walk, like a duck, like so many that visit this site. John, if I have offended you, I apologize, but I will speak my mind in defense of those that you chose to kick around and who chose not to defend or post replies to your site, example the police department, the construction crew working on bridge, etc. By the way, it just rained cats and dogs and I have never seen so much runoff coming down from college street, some things you can control, some things you can't, mother nature has a way of doing its own thing. We can only hope to prepare for the worst with the resources available.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:53 pm 
Thanks for jumping in here frankie26, you've never offended me. I'm not a part of the compliant media dutifully transcribing whatever government or corporate bosses (or rumor) tell me without really investigating and hopefully I'm fair and accurate at least most of the time. It is always interesting to hear from those who think I'm mindlessly bashing as well as from those who think I'm too lenient (and there is lots of them). Let's address your post:

The cop shop, when James Marshall was hired as Assistant Town Manager his first task was to make some positive changes in the police department, my ongoing investigation tells me that is happening and the credit also goes to the chief for working to implement James's suggestions. It will take time, but so far things are looking up, it is interesting, the back story, about which I will be writing more; though I don't know the chief real well we have talked a lot and I like him though he is from what is becoming known as the old school but we will never completely see eye to eye as he is a lifelong cop and I'm an old hippy but life is made interesting, even fascinating, with all of our differences.

The Bridge crew: never bashed the bridge crew but do report what I see and hear from them and the bosses. I got to know the crew and their immediate boss as if I was one of them, and really like and resspect them all. To answer your previous question as to whether that was really pollution, the NMED "instructed" them on correct procedures after my article, and what I reported was not considered correct procedure for what ever it was and that work was being done by, I believe, the drilling crew and Southwest Concrete delivered, while the DOT inspectors leaned on a pickup not far away but today they were paying attention. In fact after the "Near Death Experience" article, I defended the crew, and ther direct boss, as readers here accused them of incompetence; I did criticize corporate bosses (and DOT) for creating a pressurized condition that resulted in extreme fatigue, I believe that changed though it got me booted from inside the job site.

Oh, and Al, Al wants to write regularly and I encourage that but I demand the same from him as I demand from myself, fair, relevant and accurate as possible through diligent investigation; Al knows this, we've been through this before; that doesn't mean that we won't, each of us, sometimes write from a place of indignant impatience, even anger at times but we still must have attempt to maintain these 3 standards. This will help everybody to not lash out with "empty anger" at everything; not healthy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:18 pm 
The river that flowed recently down College Street demonstrates that whatever building codes are required and followed there is a misunderstanding of what can and should be done with runoff besides diversion whether above ground or below. This stuff...water...is not just some inconvenient element. We are experiencing drought throughout the Southwest even while enjoying this lovely monsoon moment. The water could be...should be PUT TO USE. Stored in well engineered cisterns, channeled into basins and purposed for landscape revival that is sustainable, xeric. A few miniscule water harvesting projects on campus don't cut it for me however well executed. The labors represent a hardly a dent in the very large picture. sigh.

Real question, real answer please. Who is calling the shots, chief cook and bottle washer, high priest, Mr. Big ,Don Corleone of WNMU. What master or masters of the universe are making decisions? Why is the school sort of "just there". another sigh.

Author: bdlb
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:26 am 
FYI: there's a rendering of the landscape design available at the old rock stairs on the very eastern edge of campus, approximately College + A