-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
John Crow
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: crow
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:55 pm 
Friday morning I began receiving phone calls and emails about the removal of these 2 old Arizona Cypress trees from in front of Bowden Hall, College St, on the WNMU campus. Some other trees of unknown type have been cleared from near the utility pole in the upper right corner of the photo, see below.

According to staff, President Shepard had sent a memo stating the trees were diseased and would be removed. I found a university maintenance guy, in one of those electric golf carts they drive around and ask him about it. He said the trees had become labor intensive as they constantly dropped branches of all sizes, seeds and leave and were removed as part of a larger re-landscaping of the hillside.

This shows part of the area to be re-landscaped, with the rest being at the east end, right, of Bowden Hall. On the left is Light Hall. Note the backhoe in front of the building. Some smaller trees and a very large one near Light Hall would seem to be preserved, time will tell.

This view is from the east end of Bowden Hall looking down towards College St. A bit of College St, with a car, can be seen near the upper right showing the steepness of the hill side. All the water runoff, including from Bowden Hall itself runs onto College St and down to Bullard and beyond and into San Vicente Creek. Readers might remember an article in the last 3 weeks about a flood of the 90 Bridge work area and the photo of the northwest corner of Bullard St underwater, over the curb and up to the building with an explanation of much of the water coming from WNMU, partly from here.

The question is, will the new landscaping stop the runoff or at least greatly control it?

The backhoe, pictured above in front of Bowden Hall, has begun removing grass and the concrete walkway leading up the building.

Author: delafrance
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:21 am 
I certainly hope this "landscape plan" includes water catchment basins like those Stream Dynamics installs. And that the "landscaping" involves low water-use native plants and stone--enough with the water-thirsty grass at the University!

Plus I find it odd that WNMU must continue to raise tuition and fees and cut classes but they continue to do major building and grounds projects. Where does the money for this work come from, anyway?

Author: almilligan
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:13 am 
Western has only two sources of income, state funding and student tuition and fees. Either our taxes are paying for it or the students are paying for it.

Remember part of the Florida Plan for a Successful University is to have resort like facilities.

Author: vatoloco
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:19 am 
Crow, why don't you take a picture of the wall in front of Light Hall? That wall is going to fall and hurt someone.

Author: sophia
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:48 pm 
Another fabulous grove of trees gone! gone,,, because they are 'high maintenace?' As a citizen of Silver City who loved walking under these matriarchs in shade enroute to the under used WNMU library, my heart breaks. The smell of fresh sap permeates the air and the harsh sounds of bulldozer and other equipment has replaced the bird song. The manager of the golf club brigade of 'grounds keepers' needs more information about sustainablity, and growing gardens around institutions, especially of higher education. This could,,,, ooops COULD be an example of good stewardship of our precious earth, and home. OO yes I am dreaming of a green gentle town ,,, with health-filled walking spaces for our ageing population.
One cannot walk the big Ditch without being solisited for money or cursed for not replying, in daytime! No more saunters along our St Vincente waterway trail due to big construction which did not take into account the monsoonal waters. (Wondering why clean water is forgotten as a rich resource) Silver City is advertised a great small town USA,,,, hmm,, no walking trails without taking off to the mountains,,NO shades trees planted along the wider streets as discussed once,,, no public sensible transportation,,what happened to the dark sky program?? No walking after dark,,,, without "packing"' self defense.
Any action seems to be pushed to the side,,, as the powers that be do what they are planning,, without thought or interest of public input,, oo yes,, greed ...... said too much.
sign me sadly dissappointed.