-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
Moses Clark
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: crow
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:40 pm 
Friday the Mule Creek Adobe crew returned to the Office Of Sustainability and finished the walls and benches. The walls were capped and the benches filled and smoothed.

A week ago the Silver City Office of Sustainability installed the first phase of their new demonstration "Park-let"/microclimate that will serve as a demonstration area for alternative energy projects such as solar ovens, solar panels etc. The work, visible from Pope St, was done by and the adobe blocks were provided by Mule Creek Adobe and paid for by a grant from PNM. Behind these L shaped walls is the real story.

Behind both the northern half and southern half of the wall is a bench and an L shaped planter in the corner which will be finished later after the current work dries.

And the southern half of this northern most bay. The old pump islands with only a bit shown in the photos will be used to display various sustainable living concepts and ideas.

In the coming weeks another wall will be installed the east, left, end of the same bay using a new technique developed by Gordon West called "Chip-crete" thus enclosing 2 sides/ends of the park-let.

Author: mimbresgranny
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:35 am 
While I am very excited about this and future projects I am also concerned about the planning that went into the public safety in the environment being created. Of course, this is just the first phase so if there is any rethinking needed this is the time to do it. If I understood your post, there will be 2 more wall sections under that same bay that will close off 2 sides and leave the "ends" open. I hope this plan was discussed with the local police as to the potential "screen" from 2 sides with a relatively narrow opening between the halves. I am asking because future projects will be jeopardized if this becomes a location of nefarious activity or requires more police effort to observe. This area has no evening businesses, is not well lit to begin with and I don't think we want more glaring street lights. Just from these pictures I might suggest the walls be a little lower, the opening wider and not opposite each other but staggered bay to bay. Often a design looks good on paper but when in place looks larger or smaller than envisioned.

These projects are a wonderful idea that will help keep our city from becoming just large swaths of concrete, softening the hardscape and cooling the air around it. I hope my concerns prove unfounded but better discussed than left unsaid and a problem discovered later.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:56 pm 
mimbresgranny, this area has the cops using the gas pump during the night, as well as all day so it becomes an easy matter to check the area.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:36 pm 
This article has been undated, scroll to the top to see the finish work done Friday.