-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
Moses Clark
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: crow
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:07 am 
And soon their were 35 seated around that circle with Silver City Councilperson Lynda Aiman-Smith whipping up the crowd to discuss the Town, the good, the bad and the ugly. This 2nd Lynda Town meeting had Assistant Town Manager James Marshall in attendance as the group discussed the police, sirens, and the town priorities to achieve defined visions for an hour and half at which point he arose and spoke.

First hinting about current changes in the works at the cop shop, fire station and Community Development, James soon moved on to talk about the buzz around town of being ranked 7th most dangerous town in the state.

The position of the Town as summed up by Assistant Town Manager James is 2 fold:
The first being that the FBI webpage the figures come from warns that the stats are inaccurate and should not be used for any ranking etc. Indeed in my observation they are inaccurate either through deliberate manipulation or incompetence resulting in better reviews for many.

Secondly James pointed out an oft talked about subject. With a census population of 10,315 for Silver City how much traffic does this county seat, shopping center, regional hospital, entertainment center, visitors and university and commuting for Grant County, Gila/Cliff, Santa Clara, Bayard, Hurley and to some extant Lordsburg and Deming really have on any given day? Some say the population can be, depending on a number of factors, up to 20.,000 per day. I suppose that given a better database and a well done study a more statistically accurate rate could be calculated.

Lynda Aiman-Smith has set a high bar for the other Councilors not only for Silver City but the County Commissioners and councils of all local municipalities.

Author: sh1
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:06 pm 
Kudos to Councilor Aiman-Smith and Asst. Town Manager Marshall for an excellent meeting. And to about 20 pickleball enthusiasts for showing up to demonstrate the need for a little help (pickleball lines on the tennis courts at 32nd St.) from the Town.

Shelby

Author: SMB
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:02 pm 
Dean and I went to advocate for pickleball lines and found the meeting to be incredibly informative and reassuring that our community has not given up on discourse and that there are people in our local government who listen, hear and respond to questions and input. Thank you to all who came.

Author: saminsilver
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:04 am 
I am very impressed! This is taking the Town to the next level. When he was mayor, James asked councilors to have neighborhood meetings, and some did. This is taking it to the next step. Well done councilor, well done James.
Simon

Author: ynotwrite2
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:35 am 
Patting one another on the back is hardly an adequate substitute for dealing with substantial community issues. Noise is a serious health issue for about 7 % of the population, yet little has been done that i'm aware of.

Escalating costs of services is another where recently both the town administration and the unanimous vote of the councilors shifted the cost burden onto the small user. the municipal court system, likewise, shifts the cost burden on the accused regardless of guilt or innocence, a situation not unlike the one in Furgeson,Missouri.

Access to solar energy is an area where the town's response has been anti solar for the homeowner or small business. Militarization of the police is another negative trend. Just because the feds are handing out free armored vehicles is not a reason to get one and then spend town funds to paint it town colors. if one is really perceived to be needed, let it rest in the armory with the tanks and drag it out in the emergency. Better yet, sell it for scrap and buy books and literacy instruction for our children.

Hospital gets a D from a nationally recognized rating agency and its publicist says, according to a local paper, we didn't pay them so we got a low rating. why on earth didn't they rise to the challenge and use the raters system and show what their grade would be now ? would it still be a D ? And let us not so soon forget the involuntary colonoscopic and x-ray event not so long ago.

There's much to enjoy in small town life, yet there are risks and shortcomings as well. Saying the pledge and having another meeting isn't always a way forward to creating a society with Liberty and Justice for all. Sometimes real physical labor and mental effort are required.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:36 pm 
here we are on this thread, 2 weeks later and no one's responded to the assertions made in the previous remark. is everything in our community going along swimmingly. does the headline "sets a high bar" mean we had our meeting and we'll get new lines on the pickleball court. are we joking with one another. is there anyone in this audience who has their sense of fairness and justice assaulted by recent past events ? is is a part of the human condition to kick the ladder out after one has reached the bottom rung so that the less able ,less fortunate are prevented from grabbing hold ?

Author: frankie26
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:59 pm 
Okay then, I don't think the noise is as bad as you or others may think, maybe having lived here my entire time I'm just used to it, as for pickleball lines, not sure if that's at the list of top priorities. I'm actually interested in participating in this game in the future. I can live with lines or without them, however if this group is successful in getting them painted, great.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:09 am 
frankie26, I, like you, aren't bothered by noise that much, haven't had my sleep or life upset by it, but after hearing from friends and seeing how my spouse are affected by it, i did a small bit of research and concluded it is a real issue that the rest of us could help mitigate on their behalf. please do a tad or research yourself and perhaps you, too, will discover the health ramifications of noise, that sometimes rise to serious. isn't that what we would want from a civilized society? to put ourselves in the place of people who have real unmet needs and help !

Author: frankie26
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:26 am 
As I have gotten older I have difficultly sleeping at night and have had to use a prescribed sleeping aid which helps a lot. Living so close to hospital, guess I've become numb to hearing helicopter fly over my house at 3-5 times a week, just have accepted it and learned not to get upset about.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:59 am 
thanks, Frankie, for your forthright answer.

Author: MineralMama
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:55 am 
Thank you "Frankie26" and "ynotwrite2" for bringing this subject to light. Of course not all noise can be eliminated from our surroundings at all times, but certain noises can & should. I was subjected to a large barking dog for nearly a decade, but no one would do anything about it because the owner was a County Sheriff's son. The sounds interfered with my college studies & wreaked havoc on my sleep. I was told to move even with this ordinance on the books. You are absolutely correct, "ynotwrite2" noise is a very serious issue to more people than it is understood. I finally moved 3 years ago to Tyrone, where I can't believe I have to pay an HOA fee to enforce such ordinances that are already on County books! The following ordinance was given to me on 12-11-08 by MaryAnn Sedillos, then county commissioner. If anyone desires, the County should be able to make you a copy of Ordinance #98-07-14-A, County of Grant, New Mexico (Book 25G) entitled:

"AN ORDINANCE DECLARING A PUBLIC NUISANCE THE CREATION OF ANY NOISE OF SUCH CHARACTER, INTENSITY
OR DURATION WHICH TENDS TO DISTURB THE PUBLIC PEACE OR TO BE DETRIMENTAL TO THE HEALTH OR REPOSE
OF OTHERS; AND PROVIDING PENALTIES FOR THE VIOLATION THEREOF AND DECLARING AN EMERGENCY."

(The following was also copied & given to me by Judge Ron Hall in 2008, located in History: Laws 1981, ch. 246, page 201-202)

A public nuisance is a criminal offense (30-8-1); described as follows:

A public nuisance consists of knowingly creating, performing or maintaining
anything effecting any number of citizens without lawful authority which is either:

A. injurious to public health, safety, morals or welfare; or
B. interferes with the exercise and enjoyment of public
rights, including the right to use public property,

Whoever commits a public nuisance for which the act or penalty is not otherwise
prescribed by law is guilty of a petty misdemeanor.

My hope in sharing this information is, that it not only benefit another individual, but perhaps these issues will be taken seriously in this County once & for all.

Author: Fenestra
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:52 am 
Because I live/work downtown NOISE was/is a real issue for me. I served on the noise-ordinance committee for a long time... until I realized we were just being used as a excuse to say "We are doing something about it...look at the Noise Committee". Vagrants and ditch-trolls continue to plague those of us who work for a living. A well-known vagrant exposed himself to me ( not very impressive) a few weeks ago! The rowdies on meth continue to get in knock-down drag-out fights there on the corner and in front of my house/ business.. Abandoned(?) cars with flat tires and broken windows( somebody is likely sleeping there) sit on the street in the next block. Why isn't that car towed away??? I have lived here, in this location for 25 years(!) and things are about the same. I sense a HUGE amount of denial in the general populace about dealing with real challenges. As a friend said " This is a fuzzy town". We need more action; talk is OK if it leads to change for the better for most of the community, but just chewing- the- fat is a waste of time unless it leads to action. Obviously there is still a large civic wound in Silver...why doesn't the conversation address that???? Nobody likes for people from elsewhere to come in and tell them how to run their town...even if it is a good idea. Just sayin'...