-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
Moses Clark
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: JE1947
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:26 am 
My political views are my political views.
The footprint of the President is such that he most likely would make decisions based on business
friendly offerings.
So be it.
We must CHALLENGE ANY INTRUSION he or his cabinet leaders make to limit who can access the Gila River.
And challenge any damming of the Gila River.
If we could pull the $$$$$ out of this money, and OFFER $1000 to every home owner in Catron, Grant, Hidalgo & Luna, for water saving
or harvesting methods, that could include ever ranch for water tanks or some other form that will allow those who make such a choice
to get that $1000.
People who do not believe this money should be used for harvesting water even on ranches or properties that are dry as a bone, they
can sign a "release" that gives the money back to "the pot."
I would fully expect some to not only not take such an offer, but challenge it.
Tying up the money is not the ideal. I would suggest personally, that those of us who already have water harvesting, send photos, and discuss
what saving the water means.

Van Clothier used a grant for me to make a water harvesting "tank" that fills with water off the street.
I will send photos of it with the rain to come this weekend, or previous rains.
I also have two collection barrels from local clay pot makers. They have at least 150 gallons and I can then use that water later to water my
plants, which do have water conservation in mind.
Also, offer more opportunities for bees, butterflies, even wasps.
I would also hope that there might be someone who has suggestions on how to encourage bats, swallow, swifts, purple martins. The UNIVERSITY PERHAPS
UNDER NEW LEADERSHIP, destroyed hundreds of bird nests on the buildings.
THIS IS A CLEAR EXAMPLE OF CORPORATE THINKING THAT APPARENTLY HAD THE ESTHETIC LOOK OF THE BUILDINGS more highly rated than hundreds
of these birds that eat mosquitos. My bats are hopefully returning.
I WANT TO POST A COMMENT THAT large, Mexican bats that normally only went or migrated as far as Animas have actually made it to Silver City.
These bats have a wing span of 12" or more and they may be a result of global warming.
Many are flat earthers who don't believe in that phenomenon.
I make no apologies to those who think that way. What we may see as a drought that is common, to be the leading edge of climate change HERE.
MORE WIND, LESS RAIN, LESS SNOW PACK may be the "canaries in the [local] coal mine." For flat earthers, they are passing on information that won't
look at the synergistic effect of these counties with a more focused effort to harvest water locally, without major distribution infrastructure ...
integrating water harvesting into any final process on the Gila River zone, is a way to use the $$$$$.
God's will on that.
I make no apologies for my political view.
When I was in Vietnam, in 1966, and having infantry experiences that amounted to one close call every day ... and our President was seeking his
second deferment for now healed "bone spurs," and I and many thousands have had PTSD problems ever since 1966, and there were others who
were NOT THERE FOR SIMILAR REASONS OF AVOIDANCE, then they have to live with that.
For those of us who were in combat, there is also the problem of Agent Orange.
A way of managing pain, sleep or psychological issues or cancer, that is a gift that keeps on slaughtering veterans.
Agent Orange was a known killer ... Agent Orange casualties may far, far exceed the 57,000 killed or missing in Vietnam.
Water is a healing natural phenomenon.
It can held heal psychological wounds some of us have from WAR. That includes current wars.
The entire thing is linked together ... in a forest, all the plants and trees often feed off the root structure of the larger trees. I've seen this by
watching how AGAVE YUCCA AS WELL AS CHOLLA AND ANOTHER KIND OF YUCCA HAVE INTERWOVEN THEIR ROOT STRUCTURE WITH THE RAIN WATER
SUN AND WIND WE GET.
IT IS AMAZING. THE VARIOUS PLANTS A GARDEN EXPERT HERE SUGGESTED TO GO WITH MY WATER "TANK." I DID NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT
THE PLANTS. Rather than hummingbird feeders, my wife planted many plants that attract those birds, and bees.
Water is at the root of all of that.
So, we march on ... would be $58,000,000 if everyone got $1000.
If the Gila River "Team" which seems to simply meander around and make lawyers richer ... dawdling ... that is not unexpected.
Let's move a bit more on getting a share of that that can be worked East or West of the Continental Divide.
Eagan