-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
John Crow
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: JE1947
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:29 am 
Those were the words Chihuahua, Klaetsch ... Chokonen Chiricahua Apache said during the surrender talks he made with Gen. George C. Crook @ Cañon de los Embudos, Chihuahua, Mexico, in March, 1886.

Chihuahua's words and others, are in my article "Eloquence of Surrender," in the collection of my works, "Hiking Apacheria,"
http://www.desertexposure.com/apacheria.

Gen. Crook used three interpreters.Tom Horn, the cowboy, who Steve McQueen made famous in his film "Tom Horn," was a very credible Apache speaker as well as chief mule skinner for the part of the expedition into Chihuahua and Sonora, 1885-1886. to run Geronimo and the other Apaches who had bolted from San Carlos Apache Reservation (near Turkey Creek, on White Mountain Reservation), May, 1886. Kraft's book on "Gatewood & Geronimo" is the very best for the trip from San Carlos, into the Mogollons, where the Apaches split. Geronimo, et al, went SOUTH down well known routes, in San Simon Valley, into Mexico. Sonora mostly.
They caused hellacious problems, raiding into U.S.

In September, 1885, Geronimo and a small group came into U.S. likely through Chihuahua, and struck Black Range, Mimbres Valley, killing several. They stopped overnight at a place I think I found, and looked down on the Mimbres Valley (currently that part covered by Highway 61 [Bob Dylan Memorial Highway] and elected to attack the ranch of John McKinn. They struck there in morning, killing Martin McKinn and abducting Jimmy "Santiago" McKinn. They took him on September 11, 1885. They went up into the Mogollons, and may have stayed near a cañon I've been to. I'd love to go ... horseback I suppose. I know the cañon but have never entered that part. It is an absolute ball buster of a hike, from Whitewater Creek, I think, and that was before I nearly died of myocarditis, lost four toes, and am working to regain my health.

Geronimo said: "Once we moved like the wind. Now I surrender. That is all."

The eloquence of Chihuahua's talk is stunning in it's spontanaeity. One interepreter spoke Apache and Spanish. All interpreters were Mexican, save Tom Horn. One interpreter translated from Apache to Spanish and another from Spanish (probably what is referred to around here as Spanglish), to English. Tom Horn likely was there to verify. Geronimo detested Mickey Free, who had offered to translate. Mickey Free, for what it is worth, as the grown man ... Felix Ward ... who was captured by Apaches near Ft. Buchanan, AZ Territory, in 1861. He was the object of the Army expedition to Apache Pass, where Lt.Bascom encountered Cochise. When he tried to capture Cochise, Cochise cut his way out of the tent, in the cold January weather, and escaped. Two or three of his relatives were hanged in retaliation.

That set off a shitstorm of Apache violence in AZ, Mexico, and US (NM).

When Mangas Coloradas was assassinated at Apache Tejo (rusted sign is above a locked lane at the Hurley Mine tailings, near the Grant County Airport turn off), and his large body and head, taken as trophies, in January, 1862, another shitstorm was set off.

In the initial surrender talks, with all the Apaches in Cañon de los Embudos, where I've been twice, Chihuahua's words: "We've moved from water to water ..." suggest that those people KNEW the preciousness of water like diversionistas dont understand. I've learned to dig in wet sand, go down, two feet, and "make my own water" as the Apaches did. OR, find water in small tinajas or large, that might be sheltered by rocks that allow the water to stay and evaporate slowly. Two weeks ago, I hiked a large ranch, and found some of these ... one, in a pinch, could give a person with a straw, or a hanky soaked and sucked ... a pint,maybe.

Unfortuantely, with mice feces always in these tinajas, one would risk getting very sick. I'd never recommend drinking from any running stream or river here, untreated. If you want to get really sick, take a chance. I'd have at minimum, one of those sophisticated water filters that allows 99% filtration. It's easier to carry your water; have water in your vehicle; etc. My rule was: always retain one full water bottle until you are within crawling distance of your vehicle I've been 150 - 200 feet from my truck when I slipped on a mountain, broke my right ankle ... turned 90º ... had to set it three times, slide down the mountain over two hours ... but eventually splinted it with DUCT TAPE (ALWAYS CARRY DUCT TAPE) and my knee pads. By the time I got to my truck (21 December, 2009), I knew I could drive my 5speed if I had to ... but help had arrived.

Two motrin was all I had for pain.

That's when I stopped hiking alone.

Apaches went across this vast country ... alone in some cases. But by oral teachings, they knew every "water to water" on their routes (imagine starting at the Warm Springs, Ojo Caliente, Cañada Alamosa, Rio Alamosa, west of Monticello, NM ... and going all the way to the Apache stronghold named "Sierra Azul," in Sonora, maybe 80 miles in country. Never been there. Trip to Mexico in 2010 they were cutting off heads and dismembering rival cartelistas with surgical saws. I have the photos. That was enough to give me nightmares for two weeks. But, we got in to Cañon de los Embudos.

Water to water for us now is; what gas station; store; etc., has some bottled water we can buy.

Diverting the Gila will gut the honor and dignity of our wonderful country. You can actually FIND the headwaters of the Gila.

In my story about Ft. Tulereosa, I FOUND three or four headwaters of the Rio Tulerosa. The Rio Tulerosa runs into the Rio San Francisco. The Rio San Francisco runs into the Rio Azul (Blue). The Rio Azul merges with the Rio Gila. The Rio Gila combines with the Rio Salt. The Rio Salt enters the Rio Colorado. The Rio Colorado empties into the Sea of Cortez. The Sea of Cortez merges with the Pacific. In my article, or on my web page, or Facebook, I've posted some photos of those headwaters. The headwaters of the Gila ... have to find those photos. IMAGINE: YOU can try to find the HEADWATERS of all that drainage ... and diversionistas want to siphon off some water of the majestic Gila .. where peoples have walked and rode along well before we got our butts here ... imagine the stupidity and selfishness and self-centeredness and disdain they have for what is so precious, so unique, so historical.

Grant County needs to get some way to get some slice of that $125 MILLION before some ditch group sucks some away ... here, there ... yonder ... what??? And we can certainly say: at least the Apaches and Mogollones knew what it meant to walk this arid land, and yet, find sufficient water to drink. A slice ... maybe $5 million ... for water conservation and catchment and restoration ...is that a lot??? This baby is going to roll on because the people who want it, politically, have some kind of spin on the ball we don't. But we have a right to say: through law suits, whatever, NOT ON MY WATCH!!!! Sorry, but we need some science involved here.

Passion doesn't count for doo doo if it's directed and screwing with that beautiful river. Science and a sound analysis do. Who pays for the next 30-40-50 years? Many of those folks call themselves "political conservatives." That's really an odd alignment. I really don't get that one. Science and sound analysis. A phrase to use to make them crazy & find courts that weigh information analytically.

Always carry duct tape; two or three sources of fire; two of light; a GPS (SPOT) if you hike alone. Always go where you say you're going, not divert (as I sometimes foolishly did) to a spontaneous choice. Carry some pain relievers. GU is good for a significant carbohydrate jolt if you're really, really, really, running on your belly to climb that last 100 yards to the truck ... keep one full water bottle until you are within 100 yards of your truck ... poncho ... two space blankets ... knife or whatever ... I never carried a gun ...

Why?

99.99% of us are not Apaches. Not all Apaches who are fit enough, too, to walk miles, in heat, rain, snow, storms, wind, know how to get out of deep forest or even desert where scrub brush, junipers (if you can find one to shelter under) ... and back ... if we "get turned around." As their ancestors did. In a pinch, Apaches always knew how to navigate, and keep going, even when horses died from exhaustion (as they did). Apaches did not see horses in the same way some others did. Just moving meat. They were trained to go two miles with a mouthful of water, given them by a trainer, come back, spit out the water. Did not breathe across their palette. Through the nose. Over any kind of terrain in the daily test circuit. Try it. Going uphill, at a trot. In the heat of day. Or at night, using your night vision. No lights.

Mogollones and Apaches would've known all of that ... with far less stuff than I just mentioned. I know they didn't have duct tape.

We DO. Thank GOD for duct tape!!!!!!

:):) If John can convert some of my photos, I'll send some. Water is always so precious when you just find some ... it may not be drinkable, but you'll see how the desert works ... snow melt ... rain. It's just an amazing experience.

You see some deciduous trees a mile away.

Maybe there's some water two feet down. Dig for the experience. It's an amazing thing to behold. One of those wonders that God has given us ... there will be a day when the water gets weird and people with guns seem to be heavily represented on "the diversionista" line of thought. I don't like that ... but maybe, if here in Grant County, we can be prudent, make this county a green model for the rest of New Mexico, "they will come." "If you build it, they will come."

In this case: If you save it, they will come ... too. To see how we did it. We. A collective process. Lots and lots of creative, imaginative, bright people who value science, not b.s.

Read Craig Childs. "House of Rain." "Secret Life of Water." Where you see wasps or bees swarming and going into rocks, look for fissures. Inside those rocks, IS, water. It's an amazing thing to know. Quite a stunning thing to actually confirm. The bees may whomp your behind, or your head. In the Floridas, Hatchets, Animas, etc., they may have Africanized Bees already. They swarm you once agitated. BE VERY CAREFUL. Their hives are different. So beware. But watching them in action is just an incredible thing ... because it suggests ... there's water in there! Out HERE! In this desert???

Mangas Coloradas called this area, from say, the Gila, east to the Pinos Altos Mountains, down to the Mimbres, West side;
Santa Rita del Cobre Mine; the area as far south as probably Faywood; west, to include the Grandmothers; maybe some of the Hatchets; some of the Peloncillos; up to Red Rock; the Gila west of Mangas Springs (Agua de Santa Lucia); to Buckhorn, at least;
some of the western flank of the lower Mogollons ... Tceguna ... Cañon spreads out ... mostly for the area around Mangas Springs .. Big and Little Burros -- "our country."

God is good to us. What a lovely rainy season we've had. My wife Dorothy's garden is lovely. She's gone, but it's here ... Mangas and Geronimo and Chihuahua and Ulzana and Cochise and Taza, Naiche, Martine, Kayitah ... those who lived west of the Mimbres ... they were all here. Now they're gone. It's up to us to save the river. No violence. Science; sound thinking; analysis; cost benefit ratios. And law suits to slow it all down. Someday, our children will thank us.