-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
John Crow
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: gila honey
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:13 pm 
A Thought For Today:
Patriotism, n. Combustible rubbish ready to the torch of any one ambitious to illuminate his name. In Dr. Johnson's famous dictionary patriotism is defined as the last resort of a scoundrel. With all due respect to an enlightened but inferior lexicographer I beg to submit it is the first. -Ambrose Bierce, writer (24 Jun 1842-1914)

"All you need is LOVE"

Author: almilligan
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:03 pm 
These rough men are the true patriots

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell

Author: crow
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:30 pm 
Hey Al, From List Of Misquotes

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us."
Alternative: "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
Alternative: "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
Commonly misattributed to George Orwell without citation. Sometimes also misattributed to Winston Churchill without citation.

Actual source: Quote Investigator found the earliest known appearance in a 1993 Washington Times essay by Richard Grenier: "As George Orwell pointed out, people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." The absence of quotation marks indicates that Grenier was using his own words to convey his interpretation of Orwell's opinion, as seen in citations below.

In his 1945 "Notes on Nationalism", Orwell wrote that pacifists cannot accept the statement "Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.", despite it being "grossly obvious.""Notes on Nationalism"
In an essay on Rudyard Kipling, Orwell cited Kipling's phrase "making mock of uniforms that guard you while you sleep" (Kipling, Tommy), and further noted that Kipling's "grasp of function, of who protects whom, is very sound. He sees clearly that men can be highly civilized only while other men, inevitably less civilized, are there to guard and feed them." (1942)

Similar phrase: "I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it." – Aaron Sorkin (A Few Good Men)

Author: gila honey
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:36 am 
The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them. -George Orwell, writer (25 Jun 1903-1950)

"All you need is LOVE"

Author: timmatthes
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:45 pm 
"No one is patriotic about taxes." Mark Twain, I think.

Author: samarpan
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:29 am 
"I can hear you! The rest of the world hears you! And the people –- and the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon." --Former President George W. Bush

“Are we creating more terrorists than we're killing?” --Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld

"I believe it creates more additional terrorists, with the fervor of killing Americans, than we would be if we were not using the drones to kill people" -- Former President Jimmy Carter

“DEAR OBAMA, when a US drone missile kills a child in Yemen, the father will go to war with you, guaranteed. Nothing to do with Al Qaeda.” -- A Yemini lawyer

==========

Regarding the "rough men" quote, the US Air Force rough men who conduct drone warfare are sitting safely stateside. They conduct war while sitting in comfortable Naugahyde Barcaloungers, staring at computer screens. For every wedding party bombed, for every innocent family member murdered, hatred is generated. Hatred leads to desire for revenge against Americans. The rough men make us less safe.

"Drone Pilots Have A Front Row Seat on War from Half A World Away"
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/21 ... -2010feb21

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:10 am 
It would be a wonderful world if every country and individual would disarm. Who's going to go first?

Here's my quote of the day

In the present day, the only thing that protects your life and property is the threat of violence against those that would take them.
Al Milligan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:47 pm 
I;m not sure if I went first, but I, personally, disarmed several years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:06 pm 
"There is no more important duty than pushing the American enemy out of the holy land." -- Bin Laden’s Fatwa (1996)

"The classical notion of deterrence was that there was [sic] some consequences before which aggressors and evildoers would recoil. In a world of suicide bombers, that calculation doesn’t operate in any comparable way." -- Former Secretary Henry Kissinger

"If you think of the people who are doing suicide attacks, and people like that get a nuclear weapon, they are almost by definition not deterrable." -- George Shultz

=============

We have spent literally trillions of dollars on the armed forces since WWII and stationed them around the world. The U.S. presence in Saudi Arabia reached its height during the 1991 Gulf War, when 550,000 coalition troops were based in the Saudi desert. We spent trillions of dollars to develop a threat of violence... as if more and more money for the military would protect us from attack. Then, we lost 2,996 Americans in one day.

The threat of violence does not deter asymmetric warfare conducted by non-state actors willing to sacrifice their lives. There were only nineteen attackers (15 were Saudis), armed with box cutters, demonstrating that the threat of violence is unable to deter attack in asymmetric warfare.

==============

"There is no way to peace; peace is the way." -- A. J. Muste

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:40 pm 
Tim: You may have disarmed but you still depend on other people to defend your life and property. For example the police.

Samarpan: Would you sleep more secure tonight if the police forces and military forces of the US ceased to exist starting at 10 PM ? Who do you call if your property is stolen?

You may not agree on how the US military or police forces uses it force for time to time, but you depend on them to protect your life and property.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:50 pm 
Al, some countries do not have a military and some countries do not arm police. That would be my preference. The starting time you suggest of 10 pm is fine with me.

========

"The practice [of unarmed police forces] is rooted in tradition and the belief that arming the police with guns engenders more gun violence than it prevents" -- Guðmundur Oddsson, Assistant Professor of sociology at Northern Michigan University

“A standing military force, with an overgrown Executive will not long be safe companions to liberty. The means of defense against foreign danger, have been always the instruments of tyranny at home. Among the Romans it was a standing maxim to excite a war, whenever a revolt was apprehended. Throughout all Europe, the armies kept up under the pretext of defending, have enslaved the people.” -- James Madison (1787)

"Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded, because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes; and armies, and debts, and taxes are the known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few. In war, too, the discretionary power of the Executive is extended; its influence in dealing out offices, honors, and emoluments is multiplied: and all the means of seducing the minds, are added to those of subduing the force, of the people. The same malignant aspect in republicanism may be traced in the inequality of fortunes, and the opportunities of fraud, growing out of a state of war, and in the degeneracy of manners and of morals, engendered by both. No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare." -- James Madison

Author: crow
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:10 pm 
Al, those who equate the military and the police as the same are those who believe that the police should be a punitive force like the military. Our military, historically, has been used to further corporate dominance in service to the military/industrial complex (like food and weapons) and are used to punish the declared enemies for not cooperating. I would expect the police to protect and serve, as the motto had been, and would expect Grant Counties' top cop, 6th Judicial District Attorney Francesca Martinez-Estevez, to launch an investigation into such things as the Gila River Diversion JPA.

And we expect the cops, when they stop us for a simple infraction to not treat us as a suspected terrorist.

My Quote of the day: The way to control a citizenry is through Convenience and Fear.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:04 pm 
Unarmed police would work for me, too.

Samerpan is right, spending as much on the rest of the world on defense no longer makes any sense.

If those folks who are out there protecting me want to take some time off, it's okay with me.

I, too, would prefer unarmed police.