-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
John Crow
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: PAWA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:41 pm 
NM Water Petition III: http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/new-mexico-water-petition

One more time. Governor Martinez did not respond to our last water petitions. She has been silent about water at a most crucial moment in NM history. She is out getting money for campaigning. This time around we have legislators supporting us. They are ready to open discussion on the systemic problems with water that have led to scarcity (it's not the drought; it's us), but they cannot in this coming short session unless the Governor sends an agenda. Therefore,

"Dear Governor Martinez,

"Scarcity of water is endemic in New Mexico. Even in non-drought times, we use more water than nature replenishes. The drought has brought the water situation to a crisis, but it is not the cause of the crisis. Water scarcity results from the internal contradictions of our water system. Without water there is no life, liberty, or the pursuit of happiness. Yet, you have not responded to the crisis. Do you have a water plan?

"I ask you, as Governor of our state, to exercise some leadership in this area and send to the Legislature directives on dealing with the structural defects which have accrued over many years of mindless avoidance of the issue of water. Declaring the drought an emergency and setting up a Drought Task Force do not cut it. The state needs leadership.

"If the system is broken, fix it. We would like a system that is sustainable, fair, not susceptible to abuse by money or political power. Remember that water belongs to the people."

Please go to the website and sign the petition. Put a little pressure on her to open discussion of water scarcity. And please send the message around as much as possible. Serious business.

As before, I'd like to use this space Crow has opened for all related discussion.

Max

Author: aces4nuevomexico
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:54 am 
I signed this petition, as well as the two before it. I urge anyone interested in getting something done about our crazy "every man for himself" water management (?) policy to sign. And don't stop there. Email, call, write letters. Attend public meetings. Make a real pain of yourselves until something happens.
Contacting Commissioner Powell of the State Land Office or Senators Cervantes, Wirth, Smith, and Papen to let them know of your support of their willingness to address this issue.

Senator Udall is also helping, but Congressman Pearce, so far, is not.

Author: crow
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:40 am 
Thanks PAWA for keeping the pressure on the Gov. This is another worthy petition to sign along with whatever other actions locally and statewide come up. Water has been an issue a lot longer than the drought and because of faulty water management, poor agriculture practices and high consumption growth we are unprepared for drought and seem to think that we just need to sit on our hands and ride it out. But make no mistake, the likes of John Arthur Smith and the SW County Commissions Alliance are sliming around in the background with some nasty proposals.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:55 pm 
Please announce, post or forward to your lists. Thanks.

*The Santa Fe Water Awareness Group's meeting on Wednesday 19th June at
5:30 PM at Natural Grocers, 3328 Cerrillos Rd features a presentation by
Reese Baker of *The Raincatcher* on Rainwater Harvesting.

More info about the Santa Fe Water Awareness Group and its
activities: Raphael 575 770 1228 or reply to this email. Visit
www.WaterAwarenessGroup.wordpress.com

*On Friday June 21st, the SFe Water Awareness Group is planning a
Solstice Water Wheel ceremony and Global meditation at the Water Wheel in
Frenchy's Park at 9:30 AM. The gathering will coincide with a global
meditation for Peace in preparation for the burying of the last Earth
Treasure Vase in Australia and to bless the Waters at 10 AM our time. This
last vase activates the global grid of Vases that have been buried around
the world over the past 23 years. Bring a gallon of water for the trees and
your special crystal, water or offering. To read more about the Earth
Treasure Vase Project click here <http://www.EarthTreasureVase.org>.

*"This event, organized in partnership with the Gaiafield
Project
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=69992625&msgid=1058235&act=51BH&c=702809&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gaiafield.net%2F>and
the Shift Network's<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=69992625&msgid=1058235&act=51BH&c=702809&destination=http%3A%2F%2Ftheshiftnetwork.com%2Fmain>Summer
of Peace program, will occur via a teleconference/webcast link with
the pilgrimage group live from Darwin, Australia. I will tell the story of
the Earth Treasure Vase project and guide a meditation intended to link and
activate the global Earth Treasure Vase grid, just days before the burial
of the final vase". *Cynthia Jurs, director of the Earth Treasure Vase
project.

*This Sunday's Journey Santa Fe conversation at Collected
Works Bookshop features

Foraging Right Outside Your Door, with Ellen Zachos and Backyard Foraging
*June 9, 11 am*
@Collected Works Bookstore
www.journeySantaFe.com

There will be a Summer Solstice Ceremony at New Buffalo on Friday, June
21st at 5:30PM to celebrate this Summer Solstice.
New Buffalo is North of Taos in Arroyo Hondo.
For more information contact Cliff Bain at
Clifton Bain <taos2012ceremony@gmail.com>
*"**Please bring flowers to decorate the altar as an expression of our
love and gratitude to the Sun.*
*There will be a potluck meal following the ceremony so please bring your
goodies to the kitchen first.*
*We would like to invite you to make a $10 donation toward New Buffalo in
gratitude for their loving welcome to us." Cliff Bain

* *TO BE REMOVED FROM THIS LIST, HIT REPLY AND ENTER "REMOVE" IN SUBJECT
LINE
Many blessings
Raphael Weisman
www.RaphaelWeisman.Wordpress.com
www.WaterAwarenessGroup.wordpress.com
www.harpsoflorien.com
Peace

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:20 am 
I had dinner last night with friends who are from many disiciplines and fields of knowlege. It is a weekly thing we do in the summer. None of us had left on vacations or research assignments, and it was a fully attended table.

I asked them to sign the petition. All 11 of them agreed, and they commented to me that should our efforts to get an open and sincere dialogue going at the level of the legislature and governor and other top officials, we need to consider what our input is to be.

Apparently, we are getting some attention.

My friends made the point that we need to stop ignoring the credible work of our academic instituions as far as research about this issue. And any changes should be considered with input from those who have expertise in applied anthropology and sociology. Other wise we may be causing as much pain as we hope to avoid.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:15 pm 
Their View: Water and drought: a call for cooperation
By U.S. Sen. Tom Udall / For the Sun-News
Posted: 06/09/2013 01:45:34 AM MDT

The people of New Mexico have long been very water conscious. We have had to be. Our survival has depended on it. Water is the "don divino," the divine gift. It is the lifeblood of our communities. The native pueblos who settled along the Rio Grande understood this. So did the early Spanish settlers who built the acequias to irrigate their crops.
Today, we are in the worst drought in over half a century. Projections are for hotter and drier conditions to continue.
Groundwater levels are dropping. The challenge this presents to our economy and our quality of life cannot be understated.
Last August, I was proud to co-host the 57th Annual New Mexico Water Conference at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces. Five hundred participants gave freely of their time. We heard from panels of experts. We met with farmers, ranchers, engineers, conservationists and community members. It was an opportunity to have a healthy dialogue about an issue that is so important to the future of our state.
Since the conference, my office has been compiling the strategies and proposals that were discussed. I was pleased recently to release our Water Conference Report. The report contains 40 proposed actions to help New Mexico adapt to ongoing drought and water supply challenges. It also contains 40 additional recommendations by audience members from the conference. I encourage everyone to read the report at my website, www.tomudall.senate.gov.
There is much work to do. And in today's tough economic times we will have to fight for the funding to do it. I will continue to advocate for federal funding for drinking water and water treatment for financially struggling communities in our state.
Congress should fully fund the Secure Water Act, which helps communities assess existing water supplies, especially groundwater, and better plan for the future. We need to know how much water we have in order to avoid over allocation and to ensure sustainable use.
We also need to pass a Farm Bill and restore the vital disaster assistance programs that expired in 2011. New Mexico's farmers and ranchers have been hit hard by drought, and this assistance is long overdue.
New technology offers great promise, but will not be a cure-all that avoids hard choices. Desalination research is underway in New Mexico, but on a large scale the cost and energy use remain high hurdles. The conference report also calls for improved management of dams and reservoirs for both agricultural and environmental purposes. These interests are not mutually exclusive. Water in the river can support wildlife and agriculture downstream. Groups who are often at odds need to work together — and there are promising examples of this, such as the New Mexico Audubon Society and the Elephant Butte Irrigation District.
Our report also recommended pilot voluntary water transfer programs to encourage best practices in this promising, but controversial, way to allocate supply. I think we should be skeptical, however, of large scale, permanent transfers, especially outside a particular basin, and from rural to urban areas.
Further, greater scrutiny is advised for new large water projects, such as those involving the Gila River, where massive federal investments are unlikely to materialize. The Gila is the last wild river in New Mexico and one of the few in the nation. As the conference title suggested, hard choices will have to be made if we are to avoid the divisive conflicts of devastating drought. The conference report is a positive step. But, it is not the end of the conversation. It is the continuation of it, and I want to hear from all New Mexicans about their water future.
We hear a lot about water "wars." But one big message came through time and again from participants at the water conference. Cooperation is key. That is how we will move forward. The challenge is clear. The stakes are high. Our efforts will have to be focused, innovative, and resolute. The people of New Mexico deserve no less.
Tom Udall is the senior senator from New Mexico. He serves on the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Energy and Water Development, and on the Environment and Public Works committee.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:49 pm 
The petition has gotten a boost from Senator Tim Keller, Majority Whip in the Senate:

Max, thank you so much to you and group for the efforts to push awareness
and urgency with regard to our state water crisis. The magnitude of the
situation warrants an 'all hands on deck' approach to finding solutions.

As Sen. Cervantes noted, the legislature has formed a Drought committee,
which he will chair, to address this issue from the legislative end. It is
my hope this committee will help provide policy solutions and also a needed
megaphone to publically help push this on to the Governors agenda in the
upcoming session. Also, this is great way for the public to tie in terms
of testimony and expertise. I strongly encourage folks to participate in
the process as that is usually what makes the outcome impactful. You can
track it throughout the summer and fall at www.nmlegis.gov.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:26 pm 
1. We have had acknowledgments from many legislators supporting this effort even though the petition was not addressed to them but only to the Governor, among them Senators Papen, Keller, Cervantes, Wirth, Representatives Chasey, Thomson, Cote, McCamley.

I encourage everyone to write to their state legislators, asking them to personally further the petition by asking the Governor to send a water agenda to the next legislative session. You can find your legislator's email address at here: http://www.nmlegis.gov/lcs/legislator_search.aspx.

2. I have changed the name of the petition to "NM Needs to Face Its Water Crisis." The earlier title was put in by MoveOn and it implies that we are talking about the Regional and State Water Plans. That is a democratic process that should not be aborted by an initiative from the Governor. We are asking for plans that deal with basic structural failures in the system that have led to the crisis.

3. The petition has been up 10 days and gotten 2,700 signatures. Thank you all. Water has become a divisive and emotional issue. We are working together to reduce those excesses by coming together to ask for a structural way of defuse that situation rather than a piecemeal approach in which everyone fights for their own. Get the Governor to send something to the Legislature so that it can work on this problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:23 pm 
Greetings:

This week I am discussing New Mexico's water future at two events:

Events

Tuesday June 18th: I will deliver the Amigos Bravos Water Matters Lecture
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001vE6UPUW1QxYlCfpYOm3xRVy-FgT7Iwc1CY9vYfA8M_Kh
SFiznwBPEPvVLbnB2dOzUTGQu_QJYXW0dkLxJe8t79_lS0LpgzviGyu-caTbe2z2M5_V0jdzuErT
uo2OodqsvTafDO0MIgDWWi6ropb0W-za0O2ZYlU-4acOJRqMEq6b1ibjU6X7VqzXBUC9DzEnT4rF
_Fn_Y6IY_WHUwojcSg==> http://www.amigosbravos.org/. The topic is "Drought,
Climate Change, and the New Mexico economy - Learning to thrive with Less."
5:30pm at the New Mexico Community Foundation (corner of Halona Street and
Paseo de Peralta).

Thursday June 20th: Join me, Representative Carl Trujillo and
Representative Brian Egolf at a Local Issues Forum sponsored by the
Democratic Party of Santa Fe County. Topics for discussion will be water,
tax reform and the 2014 Legislative session. 5:15-6:45pm at the Tesuque
Elementary School, 1555 Bishops Lodge Road.

I invite you to attend.

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:07 pm 
The previous posting was a message from Senator Peter Wirth.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:45 am 
From Ethan Genauer:

State senator Peter Wirth (D-Santa Fe) is talking water today at the “Water
Matters” lecture for Amigos Bravos, 5:30pm at Santa Fe Community
Foundation, 501 Halona Street in Santa Fe. The topic is "Drought, Climate
Change, and the New Mexico Economy – Learning to Thrive with Less." Senator
Wirth is currently chairman of the Senate Conservation Committee so he now
deals with pretty much all of the water bills that come through the State
Senate.

Also, Senator Wirth was on KSFR this morning & he discussed the drought and
water crisis for about 30 minutes with radio host Mary Charlotte. He gave a
pretty interesting & accurate overview on the water issues facing New
Mexico, including industrial agricultural over-consumption in the south. If
you would like to hear his radio talk, it's recorded here:
http://www.occupynewmexico.org/wp-conte ... 8-2013.wav
In addition, please check out this page for Occupy New Mexico's extensive
coverage on water during the 2013 legislative session:
http://www.occupynewmexico.org/grand-wa ... ft-sb-440/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:12 am 
A Message from Dennis Inman, newly appointed board member of Water Dialogue:

IS WATER A RIGHT OR A PRIVILAGE?

The people of this state need to answer that question. Water and food are life, control them and you control the other. Do you want to have control of the water within the state or do you want it controlled by private companies? Major corporations want to make water a commodity so they can control the price. Your food is already being controlled by these mega corporations. Corporations believe water is a privilege that is only rewarded when you pay the going rate. Water is a privilege when you can get it but that is not always possible. Many people have to haul water from a provider at whatever the going rate is. The cost of the water many not be too high but if you are getting from a provider that will haul it for you, that rate is often exorbitant. Just like food water is not well distributed throughout the world and either is water. If you cannot afford it you go hungry or thirsty. This has been and is currently happening everywhere is the world. It is not too late for the citizens of New Mexico. We can stand against the corporations and influence our politicians that want to control our water resources.

If you believe it is in your best interest to have corporations controlling the distribution and price of your water you need not read further. If you think the Governor and the state engineer need to provide the structure for water usage in the state, then you need to contact them and any of your state representatives. If we allow our water to be controlled by outside interests we are giving up our rights under the current state water rules.

Water grabs have happened all over this country and they are underway in many places; especially in the arid west. When the corporations over pump water in your basin and your well goes dry your only remedy is to drill deeper. Unless you can prove that they harmed you. If you are not monitoring your well usage and depth to water with a written record you may not be able to prove they harmed your well. Many people do not want their water usage monitored, but it is your only remedy in court. These records can show abnormal drops in the water table that supports your contention that these drops have occurred due to the corporations over pumpage.

HOW MUCH IS WATER WORTH?
MAY 23, 2013

What’s wrong with water brokering? When you commoditize water it gets distributed to the highest bidder; not to where it is needed the most. Water brokering is great if you are an investor who can afford to play in such a market. Water brokering can turn big profits just like other commodity markets. However does it make water more affordable to the end user? Not necessarily, since the development costs and the brokerage fees have to be recouped in the cost of that water.

Water is not distributed evenly around the world. It is not always where it is needed the most or where the most people are. To take water from where it occurs naturally and distribute it to other locations may not be in best interest of all parties. How do you distribute it so that all needs are met?

Water planning can be part of the answer, but it may not be equitable to all end users. Water masters can also be part of the answer as long as you can be assured that they are acting fairly and have not been bought off by some interest group or party. I do not have much faith that a political solution would be any better in solving the problem of water distribution.

The idea that water belongs to individuals is pretty bazaar. Does the air we breathe belong to just us? Should we be able to own it? Air is more ubiquitous than water and therefore has not been perceived as being a commodity. Since water is such a precious commodity and is needed for our survival; wouldn’t it be in our best interest to share it. But you say not if it means I have less than what my perceived needs are. Are you currently using all the water that is allocated to you if you are under a permit system? I would hazard to guess that most of us under the permit system are not using what the state permitted. There may be some exceptions but most are not.

If you are part of a municipality you do not own water. You pay for what you use and there may be restrictions as to how much you use.
I know that water is considered a property right, but is that really a valid right if others are not getting what they need to survive.
The OSE has stated that they have over allocated the water in the state and yet they still allocated water for each well drilled. How much can they allocate; is there no end to this finite resource? When do they say there is no more water to allocate?

Dennis Inman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:07 pm 
*Here's a bit of straight talk from Sen. Ortiz y Pino (D-Albuquerque) who
is chairman of the Public Affairs Commitee. *

*By *Jerry Ortiz y Pino | Posted 7 days ago

When the Legislative Water and Natural Resources Committee met recently, it
heard a report on New Mexico’s water situation so sobering that it left
participants shaken. Scientists are suggesting that New Mexico’s lack of
rain does not necessarily mean we are in a drought, a temporary moisture
shortfall.

Instead, researchers say that over the past thousand years, this year is
the norm, and the past 50 years are the aberration. In short, we might not
see more rain for a long time. Since we have only been receiving 6 to 10
inches annually during this “abnormally wet” period, we must act
immediately to deal with the implications of a prolonged period of 1 to 3
inches of rainfall per year.

All of our current water policy and planning is premised on 6 to 10 inches.
We have compact obligations and agreements all based on those 6 to 10
inches. When they don’t arrive in a given year, we suffer cutbacks. When
they don’t arrive for two or more years, we deplete reserves and face
catastrophes like this year’s:

• Ranchers forced to reduce the size of herds by two-thirds.

• Farmers promised 3 acre-feet of irrigation water will get 3 inches.

• At a tiny pecan crop in the Mesilla Valley, orchardists pruning trees to
the trunk to preserve them for the future.

• Four state lakes closed to visitors, and water levels at Elephant Butte
lower than when it was built a century ago.

• The Carlsbad Irrigation District locked in litigation with farmers
upstream since, because there is no river flow, pumping well water north of
the district has drastically lowered the aquifer for all.

Texas is suing over a similar issue in the Mesilla Valley, where farmers
have turned to wells to compensate for the lack of ditch water, negatively
impacting El Paso agriculture. If we lose, that court case could cause New
Mexico to pay damages of up to a billion dollars.

This is after two years of reduced rainfall. What if it were decades before
the 6- to 10-inch levels fall again? How will we adjust to that reality?
Owning “rights” to water is useless if there is no water to own. A couple
more years of Colorado snowpack like the last two will make our San
Juan-Chama purchased “rights” theoretical.

If we are to avoid the fate of the region’s earlier civilizations, which
disappeared when rivers and springs went dry, our policies must change. We
need realistic agriculture. Is New Mexico really a good place for cotton,
pecans or dairies? Maybe, with 6 to 10 inches of rain a year, but how about
an era of 1 to 3 inches?

Can technology bail us out? Is desalinization just a temporary fix? Do
pipelines from the Mississippi make economic, environmental or social
sense? Could water recycling and reuse change the situation enough to
justify the investments they’d require? Can cloud seeding work? Can a New
Mexico with 1 to 3 inches of annual rainfall for the foreseeable future
sustain even its current population?

Water, our most precious resource, must stay at the top of the agenda for
policymakers. Anyone serving as governor will face no bigger challenge than
water. It alone could be the basis for choosing among the candidates.

Gov. Susana Martinez hasn’t led on water so far. Where will she take us? Do
her challengers offer more than platitudes? If we are too unrealistic (or
politically paralyzed) to act decisively, then nature won’t go away; we
will just become its victims. The Anasazi left us an important lesson: Pray
for rain, but then act as if it won’t arrive for a century.

*Sen. Jerry Ortiz y Pino represents District 12 in the New Mexico Senate.*

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:00 pm 
Thanks Max (PAWA) and Dennis for help keeping the issue of water alive in the Gila Community (those living around and within the Gila National Forest) and its life giving watershed. I would like to expand (and possibly correct) the understanding of water ownership/control in New Mexico. New Mexico water law is very complicated so I'll keep this simple.

Water in NM is already pretty much owned by individuals and corporations (including Municipalities/Counties) through "Water Rights" that are personal property and can be bought and sold on the open market (not cheap). Each aquifer is deemed to have just so much water, is managed separately and is closed to new Water Rights when all the water is allocated except for domestic wells. The size of one Water Right is variable depending on its intended use, Municipal or Agriculture or Industrial.

Municipal Water Right is generally 60% of pumping capacity while Agriculture is more complex with crop to be irrigated, transpiration and return to aquifer etc. What the State considers is that they have allocated too many Water Rights and a number of years ago the State tried to make everybody prove they used the water that they owned and if they couldn't than some Rights would be taken away, I don't think that worked out too well although water law say 4 years of non-use and the state can take back those Water Rights. Besides a simple well permit for domestic use that has to be permitted is what the water is otherwise used for and the size of the Water Right to be assigned to the well based on that use. An example is an agriculture well that will irrigate a given field; the size of the Water Right will be adequate to the crops being grown there and average use in the area.

In the case of the water sucking alfalfa fields, cotton and pecan orchards the Water Right will be bigger than say for a field of oats or beans. When you want to change the use (discharge point) of the water you own you have to file for a new point of use/discharge permit and publish the notice in a newspaper.

The doctrine of "All Beneficial Use Shall Carry The Same Weight" is one of the problems. Mining (and intel Chip factory) and water intensive agriculture is considered Beneficial Use and carries the same esoteric value as a Municipality of people by law but in practicality is mining and computer chip making as important as food crops and drinking water? Even so corporations consider the law regressive to economic development.

There is a lawsuit against the State (OSE) by a New York Corporation that was denied a "change of use" Permit that would allow them to use their Water Rights to pump millions of gallons of water from the Aquifer under the Gila, dump it into the Rio Grande and sell it to up-river and/or down-river users or both.

Water Rights allow the owner to withdraw water out of wells and rivers for more than domestic use, ie: farming, mining. (Note: Water from a well on your land when you don't own Water Rights can only be used for domestic/indoor use.) Water in rivers can also be owned like the water in the Gila River is owned by Indian Tribes in Arizona and if NM wants any water than we can buy some from the Tribal Group for the dollar amount they would have to pay for replacement water from the Arizona water projects.

Here is an example of a creative solution, allowed by the water law and used by TownSide Farm out on Little Walnut Road. Though they have a well they had no Water Rights which are very expensive and tap water, being expensive at that level of use, was out of the question. So, in a creative solution TownSide Farm leased, from the Town of Silver City, Water Rights permitted to the Old Water Works down the street.

The Federal Gov also has special Water Rights on Federal land like National Forests, parks and military bases and can use whatever they need. It's hard to calculated the water needs of a national forest of trees or the expanding military bases.

Mining corporations (and other corporations) own a vast number of Water Rights and feel privileged to pollute as much as they want and are currently fighting the State (and other states) over just how much they can pollute because they "own the water". As a tie-in, while I applaude the reduction in Copper Smelters the newer Solvent Extraction/Electro Winning (SX/EW) method greatly added to the amount of water use, abuse and pollution.

In the 1970's Phelps Dodge Mining needed more water for the Tyrone Mines' New SX/EW processes and they found Water Rights in Gila Valley but the seller wanted to keep the Water Rights with the land he was selling so PD bought the land and water then turned around and transferred the Water Rights to the Tyrone Mine and used the land for grazing cattle all under their newly formed subsidiary "Gila Land and Cattle Co". (PD is now owned by Freeport). PD did sell some of the land to buyers wanting to farm the fertile valley and, not understanding NM water law buyers were very angry that they only had domestic us of water from an existing well or one they drilled without buying Water Rights. Every new well has to be permitted and everybody has a right to drill a domestic use only well.

Municipalities do own water through their (our) ownership of Water Rights. And by extension, Municipalities and Counties are, rightly, socialistic co-operatives/collectives so we, the residents, partners in the Municipal Corporation, own the water and delivery system and collectively pay the costs through our water bills. We either waste it or use it wisely and pay the price. Hurley just recently bought their first Water Right for their first well but that is another story involving the Grant County Water Association which I outlined in previous articles.

Interesting factoid and how water is measured: 1 acre foot is 1 acre of water 1 foot deep or 325,851 gallons, some say that is enough for 2 families of 4 per year while others say 1 family of 5 use per year.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:07 pm 
The fools in state (and federal) government just don't get it, are just gutless and bought off by homeland security and their police force subsidies to continue the war on drugs. I just love cotton clothes but I love more hemp cloth and paper, paper has a high cotton content along with tree fiber. The Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights and Constitution as well as all printed material of that era was printed on hemp paper as were many of the clothes woven with hemp fiber. Hemp (Cannabis) requires far less water and yields far more fiber than cotton, and hemp is not the only plant viable for this purpose. Although I like Sen. Ortiz y Pino and other environmentalist I find them more into flapping around screaming "the sky is falling" than offering real viable solutions for fear of the homeland security state. Well, there is more but 'nuf said for now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:37 pm 
Please attend the....
PUBLIC MEETING ABOUT GILA RIVER DIVERSION
hosted by the INTERSTATE STREAM COMMISSION

MONDAY, JULY 15, 6:00 PM
STUDENT MEMORIAL BUILDING,
3rd FLOOR SEMINAR ROOM,
WNMU CAMPUS

The full agenda hasn't been released yet, but we know there will be a presentation by the Bureau of Reclamation and one by the Interstate Stream Commission. There will be a public comment period and you will be able to ask questions.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:47 pm 
The agenda for the ISC meeting has been released, see below, it is also posted on our calendar.

1. Presentation by Bureau of Reclamation — Engineering and economic studies
2. Presentation by ISC — Progress on assessments of proposals and Fiscal Year 2014 Work Plan
3. Presentation by SWCA — Ecologic Impact Studies
4. Public Comment

MONDAY, JULY 15, 6:00 PM
STUDENT MEMORIAL BUILDING,
3rd FLOOR SEMINAR ROOM,
WNMU CAMPUS

Author: Max
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:44 am 
Max,

This rally will be large and will have speakers from UNM, the NM legislature and others, including physicians' discussing adverse health outcomes and scientists' giving a long-range view. Check out the links in this message, especially our local http://www.abqclimateaction.us/ . That site has a printable flyer and shows the more than a dozen NM organizations that are planning and participating. Water is the main object of this rally to Save Our Planet, at the Central bridge on the Rio Grande, focusing on the drought, wildfires, water shortages, wells and rivers drying up and climate change exacerbating these crises.

Please help spread the word. Most of the participants are political activists, also, and we're trying to keep the event Omni-political, But, the Democratic Party of NM and Bernalillo County and other progressive and union groups are fully on board.

Chuck Anthony

----- Forwarded Message -----
To: Chuck Anthony <chuck.anthony@att.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:17 PM
Subject: Rally at the Rio on August 3rd!

Hi friends,
We know that climate change is already happening. Here in New Mexico we're feeling the heat more than most, and it's time to take action.
Will you join us on August 3rd to put climate change back in the spotlight? In the heat of the summer, more than a dozen local environmental groups are coming together to send the message that we have a moral obligation to deal with this issue NOW.
WHAT: Rally at the Rio!
WHEN: Saturday, August 3rd, 10:00AM
WHERE: 2700 Central Ave SW, Abq, NM (near the BioPark)
Please click here to RSVP.
Our rally is just one of many actions happening this summer as part of the national Summer Heat mobilization. From tar-sands-free flotillas to civil disobedience, folks across the country are braving the summer heat to call for climate action. August 3rd is our chance to be part of the uprising.
Let's make our Rally at the Rio huge. Bring a friend, and help spread the word on Facebook too. For more information and a printable event flyer, visit http://act.350.org/go/3487?t=3&akid=3364.171585.qhfteM.
See you there,
Bill Balassi & 350NM

350.org is building a global movement to solve the climate crisis. Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter, and sign up for email alerts. You can help power our work by getting involved locally, sharing your story, and donating here.
To stop receiving emails from 350.org, click here.