-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
Moses Clark
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: Bruce
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:12 pm 
Again I enter the fray (late this year) to urge citizens to run for mayor or town council.

Ken Ladner will be running for a second term as mayor. Ladner won the job in 2016 in a race against Councilor Cynthia Bettison and Doctor Mark Donnell. He seems to be popular and respected, and would be hard to beat. I have not heard of anyone planning to run.

In District 2 Lynda Aiman-Smith is running for reelection. Aiman-Smith won the job in 2014 in a race against Rebecca Spann. She was reelected unopposed in 2016. I haven’t heard of anyone challenging for this position.

In District 4 Guadalupe “Lupe” Cano is running for reelection. Cano ran unopposed for the spot in 2014 and 2016. I haven’t heard of a challenger for this position either.

I always like to see contested races, but the trend in Silver City is that the job goes to whoever has the initiative to file. Even in contested races the incumbent usually wins—although we did see two incumbent councilors lose in 2010. I hope someone (or someones) will step up to make this election interesting. Filing day is January 9 and the election in March 6.

What do you think?

Bruce

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:15 pm 
It seems we will have a Silver City municipal election this year after all, although I'm not sure it will be an interesting campaign. The candidates are:

For mayor:
Ken Ladner
Timothy J. Montes

For district 2 councilor:
Lynda D. Aiman-Smith
Patricia "Eiline" Kingsley

For district 4 councilor:
Guadalupe E. Cano
Nicholas H. Prince

The incumbents are listed first. I have googled each of the challengers and as far as I can tell none of them has ever spoken at a council meeting, been involved in a public issue, been an officer of an organization, or done anything (good or bad) that would get their name in the newspaper. I know Nick Prince, but not the other two.

So can a person with no known public record get elected to a public office? It has happened before, and sometimes a newcomer does a good job. Some people learn quickly. Experience isn't necessarily a guarantee of good performance. I guess we'll find out.

Does anyone know any of these candidates or have an opinion of how they would do in office?

Bruce

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:56 am 
Is any kind of candidate forum planned for this election? I have seen no candidate announcement or ads for any of the challengers.

Also, there is a write-in challenger for municipal judge. Nicolas C. Bobo is running as a write-in against on-the-ballot incumbent Sonya Ruiz.

Bruce

Author: choshe
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:32 pm 
Hi, Bruce. P. Eiline Kingsley reported to the Silver City Town Council for three years and wrote their local Public Right-of-Way ordinances, franchises, and resolutions as a consultant. She successfully reduced cable rates $3.56/month through a resolution that was upheld by the FCC, and brought the funds and fiber for CATS to Silver City with help from a large Citizen's Access Committee. She also consulted for the Bayard City Council and Grant County Commission for more than a year, before serving as Director of Planning for Grant County.