-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
John Crow
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: Fenestra
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:23 am 
Yo, everybody!

I have seen the enemy again and he/she is a Norway rat...the ugly kind with a naked tail!I have tried to catch him with glue traps, HUGE rat traps ( only result from that is a pinched finger!),my cat can smell him( I cannot, thank goodness) right under my bay window. Pearl, the cat, sits in that "a- mouse- will- appear -momentarily-pose" right inside the house but directly over a rat-hole I discovered leading to the depths under the bay window.I am loathe to use poison for two reasons, one selfish, the other not-so-selfish .First, there is likely some standing water under my house, so if I use warfarin the critters will die under my house and the ensuing stink could be yucky; secondly, should they emerge
( they???)... it is possible that neighborhood cats could chow on them and die. My cat is totally an inside or enclosure cat, but not so with some neighbors cats.My dog would not touch a dead rat and stays with me always. (I would not touch a dead rat either.)

Another suggested remedy is to drop mothballs into the rat-hole, but should that work, the rats would migrate elsewhere.

Norway rats are not an endangered species and I want them dead.

I guess I could just drop the poison in the hole, plug it and wait.Any suggestions?

Paula G.

Author: Jayne
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:53 pm 
You can buy a Hav-A-Hart trap from ACE or the Do it Center. Place the trap by the hole. You put in something that it would eat and then it catches them live. What I've done is take them on a long car trip into the wilderness and drop them off wishing them luck in their new surroundings. I too don't like rats, mice etc but I don't want to use poison as I have pets that could chew on the creature and then be poisoned. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:02 pm 
Jayne,

Appreciate the shared concerns, suggestions, and remedies; in my humble opinion, I need a Black-Rat Snake. In shui-feng!, snakes are "little dragons" and auspicious . A snake, especially a non-viperous rat-eating, temperate -zone species... native to North America... would have it literally Made-in-the-Shade;~] under my Front Parlor! Re-duce, Re-use, Re-cycle!

I say :Good-bye rats; watch out cats!!

I am on a quest...

Paula G.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:22 am 
Well...someone loaned me a Samuel Jackson movie: "Snakes on a Plane"...and after seeing it ( funny, scary, risque), I decided I didn't want snakes living under my house!!! So I did the poison-thing, carefully blocking the places where the rats could come and go.It's been a week and my cat no longer is attracted to the particular spot above where I am sure the critter/s hung out. In my senior years I am turning into a Zoroastrian(not really:~) and hate to kill anything, but spiders and rats gotta go.

I'll delete this entire post in a few days...but, hay...check out that movie; it's a hoot!

PG

Author: Joanie
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:03 am 
If you haven't got too much poison around and still can retrieve it, you might consider getting an outside cat. My (now indoor) Siamese cat killed a rat the first day after moving into my downtown house, but she's not available.

There are hundreds of cats around who need homes and many of them are acclimated to cold weather and friendly to humans. It's not a great life for them, but being a "barn cat" is better than being completely homeless.

Author: shems
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:54 pm 
Attachment:
Tigger.jpg
Tigger.jpg [ 6.49 KiB | Viewed 3121 times ]
[b]TIGGER NEEDS A HOME!
Our three year old neutered male black and gray tiger cat needs a
single cat home
[/b]. He is an indoor/outdoor cat. He has lived with us for
one year. He is beautiful, personable and super smart. In fact he is
[u]the smartest cat I have ever met.[/u] He bonded with me and
follows me around like a dog. (Photo attached~ full disclosure:
pic is about one year old )
We have two other cats, one of whom stands up to his aggression.
However, he terrorizes our smaller cat, and has bitten him twice recently.
He would be an ideal farm/barn cat. He has good hunting skills.
( A nice tall rooster in the hen house would be an asset. )
I have struggled with this decision for some time. Realizing, that
old family ties come first, this separation must be made.
Please, if we can't find him a home
he will have to go to the shelter.
Please help.
Thanks
Shems and Basira
538-5034
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Support Food Security!
clf
1 Attached files| 310KB
Tigger.JPG
View Slideshow
Download

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:26 am 
What an adorable kitten; I wish I could take him, but, alas, am at my limit for companion animals. Living up town as I do, it is not feasible to have an outdoor cat...cars on Bullard and Texas have turned many a cat, including my former kitty, Rosemary, into a flat pancake in the 25 years I have lived here; I could not bear to lose another, which is why my pretty- kitty Pearl has her own totally enclosed "zoo" in the back garden...complete with pond, trees, plants....as well as a wire tube between the house and her enclosure so that she may come and go at will. But it is true that barn cats are the healthiest...because they eat mice, etc. The risk of cars is just too great to allow a cat to roam freely where I live.Also, I know for a fact that businesses around me use poison to control varmits, having seen and removed the dead/dying rodents in the past :-[.Yuk! I do feed Pearl feeder mice from time to time, allowing my little ratter dog, Lily, to humanely and quickly kill them first...otherwise, Pearl would torture them for a while before she ate them.Don't want that.

I bet you found a home for that kitten. We should start another topic about companion animals; the things we do for love!

PG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:32 am 
These FAT fingers! Really!! I wish there were no punctuation marks, like ee cummings..

Anyway, the rats have gone elsewhere, or UNDERGROUND, and I am having a Zoroastrian crisis of conscience about displacing any more of the sentient life about me. They say this state of mind comes with golf,and genealogy! So be it; all is as it is and life is unfolding as it should... as "Desiderata "says .Solace is in that great poem,Desiderata. I used to have it memorized. Abeit specious of origin( dubious provenance), IT SPEAKS MORE to the nature of spirituality than any other teleological writing I have considered.I'm SURE one could Google it.

Anyway, the ratS have gone under the radar and in a few daze I am going to delete this post! Cyber-clutter!

I have a Salon coming up;wish people would come! TOPIX:Smokey Times. I always hope for the best. Check it out; it's in the calendar.

Paula G.