-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
John Crow
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: Jean Eisenhower
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:53 pm 
A synchronicity of two events brought this essay (that also includes a synchronicity) to my desk today. I'd like to share it:

The Case For Optimism
By Carolyn North

On my good days I remind myself that there are reasons, even longshot reasons, to be optimistic. Although the world appears to be spiraling out of control, if you look at the larger picture you can get another perspective – and I like to look at larger pictures.

For example, what about those recent finds in southeastern Turkey, Gobekli Tepe, dated to 11,000BCE? That’s 7000 years before the pyramids in Egypt - and we assumed humans were hunter-gatherers then. Then there’s the even older site in Java - Gunung Padam - dated to 14,000BCE! These places were hardly the work of primitive people, but are highly sophisticated, unfortified civilizations displaying a level of technology at least as advanced as ours, depicting plants and animals long gone extinct. What’s going on here?

Nobody even knows who built much earlier mysterious places - like Stonehenge, for example, nor how they did it, nor why. The oldest of those are only a few thousand years old, and compared to Gobekli Tepe and Gunung Padam they are the new kids on the block. The Great Crusades to Jerusalem happened just yesterday in this scale of time, and the soaring cathedrals of the Middle Ages, as well.

It’s hard to get a handle on such passages of time, especially as our Gregorian calendar starts counting with the Year of Our Lord as zero, but that was only 2,000 years ago! A drop in the bucket of time. Anyhow, there’s something suspect to me about dating our world in relation to the Abrahamic traditions – Judaism, Christianity and Islam – because they all condone dominion over Nature and women, and calling sex sinful seems the wrong place to start the calendar rolling, in any case. Since these much older civilizations were thriving tens of thousands of years before Abraham walked the earth, and their highly evolved cultures appear to have a very different spirit from the Abrahamic ones, perhaps we’ve made some pretty big mistakes about how we define the world?

For starters, I would guess that one big mistake was to assume that human history travels in a straight line from primitive man to revelations about redeemer gods, and then finally to perfected humans like us. If so, who built those older civilizations we are just now unearthing, and where did these peoples go? Was it once understood that Time went in cycles, and cycles within cycles, civilizations always rising and falling, ending and beginning again?

By a lovely synchronicity, while I was pondering this conundrum, a friend handed me an obscure-sounding book just as another friend told me about Gobekli Tepe. I forgot about the book until many months later when it literally fell off my bookshelf one night while I was wondering where I could find information about very ancient civilizations.

You know the rest - it contained a whole chapter about Gobekli Tepe. The book was “THE YUGAS: Keys to Understanding Our Hidden Past, Emerging Energy Age and Enlightened Future” by J. Selbie and D. Steinmetz. The Yugas, or World Ages, are an ancient Indian tradition about recurring cycles that take 24,000 years to run through a single course.

During an ascending arc of 12,000 years, humankind gradually develops the best of what it means to be human, and then the arc gradually descends for another 12,000 years of devolution and mayhem, after which the next arc of the cycle begins to ascend again. This has apparently happened many times on our planet. The process, taking such a long time, is necessarily v e r y s l o w, so slow that gaining perspective on where we might be in the cycle requires a tradition of Hindu pundits who have, through the ages, been keeping count. So where are we now, according to them?

They say we are on the upswing as we emerge out of the Kali Yuga, the darkest of dark times, into the ascending arc of the Dwapara Yuga. This means that, despite the chaos and uncertainty of our times, we are actually moving into the clearer air of new possibilities of intelligence and harmony - believe it or not. This gives us a whole new perspective on our problems, because it indicates a way larger context than we had thought, following a vastly more complex pattern than we can see. Might we trust its wisdom and be willing to go with a positive and optimistic program, despite our fear and trembling?

It takes courage, and faith. Of course it’s terrifying - we’re human, after all. We feel stuck and yet cling to what is familiar, we resist change and the result is chaos. Yes, things look like they are going to hell in a handbasket: the environment is teetering at the edge, and people are scared of anybody who looks different from themselves, but the desperate situation is pushing many of us – the young, especially - to make brave new choices and visualize the new world they wish to live in.

Their efforts feel to me like the tender green shoots that appear in spring after the hard freeze of winter. Innovations and courageous experiments abound and love lurks in all the cracks of the old system. Visionaries are dreaming up new ways of living - growing their own food and teaching their young survival skills; parading for justice and equality and freedom, and doing the work to make it happen. They are getting things done, learning how to not burn out in the process and having a great time doing so. And what I am hearing them express every day and in every way is gratitude for their lives, for each other and for the beautiful earth itself.

I believe we are witnessing the last gasps of a dying culture as the old guard hangs on by their fingernails to what they consider their vested interests, but the new guard is here – within us all, I believe - and knows that fighting the old is hardly the best use of our energy. But having a good time with an evolving, creative consciousness, is. Things may not shift over immediately but the arc is ascending even as we speak, moment by moment for approximately the next 12,000 years before it starts again its slow descent.

We’re lucky to be alive in the world right now, right?

Author: Lynda
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:09 am 
Thank you Jean. I'm going to order that book.

Author: kingpower
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:00 am 
thank you

Gclub