-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
Moses Clark
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: crow
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:03 pm 
SNAP's (spay/neuter awareness program) first dog and cat contest at the Farmer's Market was a rousing success! There were almost 15 dogs, no cats shown, much to the relief of our judge, Councilwoman Cynthia Ann Bettison, who is unfortunately allergic to cats.
It was a fun time and entertaining. There was a costume parade, won by Sir Charles, in his greyhound racing jacket (Sir Charles is not a greyhound) with owner David Malar and runner up was Java the Dog in her tutu, with owners Brian and Erin.

Attachment:
File comment: David Malar And Sir Charles
DavidMalarAndSirCharles.jpg
DavidMalarAndSirCharles.jpg [ 7.01 KiB | Viewed 2476 times ]

There was the biggest pet no contest, Coale, who weighs in at 130 pounds(!) was the clear winner with owner Alex Corondoni.

Attachment:
File comment: Coale with owner Alex Corondoni.
Judge Cynthia Ann Bettison (right)

AlexCorondoniAndCoale.jpg
AlexCorondoniAndCoale.jpg [ 6.94 KiB | Viewed 2473 times ]

Then came smallest pet, two winners, as judge Cynthia couldn't decide, they were both so close.
Stitch with owner Liza Tavizon and Tinker Peanut (is that the cutest name or what?) with owner Stephanie Celin.

Attachment:
File comment: Stitch with owner Liza Tavizon and
Tinker Peanut with owner Stephanie Celin.
Event Judge Cynthia Bettison, center

Tavizon,Stitch,Celin,Tinker.jpg
Tavizon,Stitch,Celin,Tinker.jpg [ 9.86 KiB | Viewed 2473 times ]

Best trick was also a tie, with Joey and owner Sally Elliot, Joey had a whole obedience repertoire and everyones heart went to Seven, and his owner Peter Svolak. Seven is a blind, three-legged dog and impressed everyone with his sit-up and shake.

Attachment:
File comment: Best trick winners, Joey with owner Sally Elliot
and Seven, with his owner Peter Svolak.

BestTrickPeter-Snolah,Seven.jpg
BestTrickPeter-Snolah,Seven.jpg [ 10.44 KiB | Viewed 2472 times ]

Runners up were Nana with owners, Rosalie, Emily, and Josh and Jack with owner Diego.

Then came owner look-a-like, Judge Cynthia was having a hard time with that one. Tinker Peanut won with owner Stephnie Celin and runners up Nana with Emily and Josh and Jack with Diego.

Attachment:
File comment: Tinker Peanut with owner Stephnie Celin
WinOwnerlook-a-likeStephani.jpg
WinOwnerlook-a-likeStephani.jpg [ 11.81 KiB | Viewed 2473 times ]

Everyone had a good time and our judge wants to do it again, as long as we have a different judge for cats, sorry Cynthia. We hope to do it again at the market next year. We want to thank Asunda, manager of the market for allowing us to do this, it was her idea after all. And everyone in Snap wants to thank all for their support and participation.

By Pat Wolph
Edited by Jojncrow
Photos by Pat Wolph

Author: jef
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:11 am 
Congratulations to all the cute and talented doggies.
My cats declined the invitation. They were laughing their tails off Saturday morning when I explained to them that they could get dressed up, perform for a human audience, and be in the company of dogs, all while baking in the hot sun to win a prize and the applause of an impressed and grateful community.
Maybe we could bring our chickens next year? They are seriously funny!
Elizabeth

Author: Pat W
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:51 am 
I love chickens!!! Hmmmm...owner look-a-like could be interesting. All though I have been told I have "chicken legs"! That would be such a hoot! My cats too were looking at me like, "you have to be kidding! I don't think so!" The danger would be dogs with chickens and cats, now "I don't think so"! And we do require pets be spayed or neutered and on a leash. It was fun and I enjoyed doing it. Pat W

Author: Nancy Kaminski
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:40 am 
Nice job Pat! The event looks like it was a great success and your photos are awesome. Thank you and all those at SNAP who work tirelessly to help with domestic animal overpopulation in this area.
How can we help further your cause? I would love to purchase one of those great T-shirts I have seen you wearing at the Market. I also understand we can purchase tickets for a cash giveaway?? Bravo to SNAP.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:42 am 
Thanks Nancy! Like you, we do what we can. The wheels grind slowly, but we are making progress. The T-shirts are available at our table at the market, if not I will be sure to get one to you. Pat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:51 am 
P.S. As far as helping our cause, getting the word out and supporting SNAP. Just talking to folks about how unfortunate it is that so many animals have to be euthanised at the shelter. There are not enough homes for all the puppies and kittens. How much better your pets are when they are spayed and neutered. Supporting our events. Buying our items we sell and community donations. Every little bit helps. And just a heads up. The end of August we will be having our annual membership meeting and a benefit concert at the HUB. More info will be on this forum as it gets closer.
Thanks to all. Pat W