-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
Moses Clark
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: ciannu
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:58 pm 
Win a Silver City Farmers’ Market tee shirt or………
As a fundraiser, the farmer’s market purchases and sells tee-shirts, aprons, and canvas bags with our logo, along with baskets and hats woven in Ghana. These items are purchased through the New Mexico Farmers’ Market Association. Proceeds from the sale of these items helps us to purchase advertising, print this newsletter, buy awnings, signs and other items, and pay for entertainment and prizes for our two special events; the apple pie contest and the salsa contest.

Starting in June and continuing monthly throughout this season of the farmers’ market a lucky customer will win one of the promotional items we sell. Vendors will be randomly selected to hand out tickets with purchases made at their booths. To enter the drawing, take those tickets to the market booth and drop it in the jar. Each month one ticket will be drawn and the winner will receive the promotional item chosen for that month. This month’s item will be an apron with our logo. To see all of the items available stop by our booth located off 7th St. Just look for all the brightly colored tee-shirts and baskets.

What can be sold at market
In my capacity as on-site manager, I often get questions about what can be sold at market and why. The most common questions are why we don’t allow arts and crafts, why we don’t have tomatoes in May, and why more processed foods can’t be sold at market. I touched on this some in our first newsletter when I spoke of the history of our market. This market was begun in an effort to provide more fresh produce to the community and at the same time provide income opportunities to citizens of Grant and Catron County. So that limits what produce is available when.

Any gardener here knows what a challenge it is to grow in this environment. I have been a gardener most of my life and have gardened all over the United States and this is definitely, BY FAR, the hardest place I have ever gardened. Lack of rainfall coupled with winds make it very difficult in the spring to start plants. We have very late frosts and very early frosts so that our growing times are severely shortened and we often lose our fruit crops due to those late frosts not to mention, hailstorms. We also have our problems with alkaline soils and water which tie up nutrients along with the cold soils further slowing down growth. So, tomatoes, being a summer crop along with peppers, squash, cukes, etc. are not seen in our market until July at the earliest unless grown under cover.

The second most common question asked is about allowing arts and crafts. First and foremost we are a Farmer’s Market. So, what we present is what comes from a farm. Crafts are allowed if they utilize products from the farm or land. That would include but not limit items such as handmade soaps using goat milk and/or herbs and flowers, walking sticks gathered from a person’s own land, handspun yarn made from a person’s sheep or goats or even dogs. That is in keeping with support of farmer’s/ growers in the two counties. Further, using properties available to us, we have a limitation of space. We could fill the market with art vendors and have no space for farm/garden vendors. It would be an art market. Just like the one across the street.

And, that is also the answer regarding processed foods. We only allow three bakers in our market. This year alone, I have received 9 phone calls from potential vendors wanting to sell only baked goods. That is on top of the bakers we currently have. We urge our bakers to use as much from their land as they have available or to purchase such items as fruit and eggs from other vendors in order to support our goal of locally grown. The three chosen all use certified kitchens in our county and have licenses from the state to prepare and sell baked goods. They sell in accordance with our states health codes. In the past we allowed unlicensed bakers to sell at market. And, every year those that were not licensed were shut down by the New Mexico Dept. of Agriculture and we lost our bakers. So, this year I chose to give those who licensed first preference for the health of the market. We are very fortunate to have restaurant owners in this town who have generously offered their kitchens for our vendors’ usage. I have heard from other markets that have not been privy to such generosity and so have no bakers.

I hope this answers everyone’s questions. I have tried this year in my position to keep to the principle of home grown. We have a new program allowing local artists to demonstrate and sell at market. We are very fortunate to have so many talented musicians in this community who donate their time providing us with musical entertainment for tips only. Our bakers are using as many products as possible from this community and also purchase locally through our stores. Plant growers provide us with plants already adapted to our area. And of course our produce growers, meat, dairy and egg producers are working hard year round to provide us with fresh products, much of it also grown with the use of locally produced manures and compost.

Recipe of the Month
This month market stands will feature more of those delicious greens and onions we’ve all been enjoying along with beets and fresh herbs. There are so many ways to enjoy beets. They can be roasted in foil in an oven, or if you’re lucky enough to own a solar oven just throw them in unwrapped since they won’t dry out. After roasting they can be turned into soups, salads, or served as an entrée with oil or butter and fresh herbs, maybe some goat cheese. They can also be served raw, shredded on top of salads or combined with fruits, ginger, etc. as a salad alone. This month’s recipe is simple in preparation and ingredients. I often enjoy it.
Beet and Parsley Salad
2 medium beets, greens set aside, stems removed and discarded
1 cup of packed fresh, chopped parsley
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp of agave nectar (or sweetener of choice)
1/8 tsp of black pepper
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
Peel and trim beets. Shred or slice thinly. Loosely chop beet leaves. Whisk together salt, sweetener, pepper, oil and vinegar and toss with shredded or sliced beets. Place chopped beet leaves on a plate, top with beets, and sprinkle parsley over top of all.

June Events

June 20th Brandon Perrault will be back to entertain us again this month. He’ll be playing from 9 to 12. He’ll also have his cd’s available for purchase. Brandon is one of our biggest supporters and will be back again throughout the season.

June 27th Weekend of the Viva Verde Expo. In support we will have Lee McCune, photographer, painter and sculptor demonstrating recycled art. Look for him from 9 to 12.
Also Scott van Linge will perform from 9 to 11. Scott plays a mix of country/ blues with guitar, harmonica and drums.

This month is the Viva Verde Expo put together in support of community resources and solutions for green living. So, I’d like to take this time to get on my soapbox and remind everyone of the importance of supporting your local farmers’ market.

Besides the obvious pleasure of enjoying fresh picked produce you, as consumers, are supporting the local economy. You are also expressing a voice in support of fresh, local foods, native plants, homebaked goods and other items.

It’s an investment of time for all of you. Sometimes it feels easier to do that one stop shopping that we’ve been allured with. But, that experience cannot compare to the experience of going to an outdoor local market. We often have live music, artists demonstrating their craft, farm animals to learn about, and you can talk directly to the grower, baker, craftsperson gaining knowledge, maybe a recipe and that personal experience of knowing where your food came from.

So in honor of green living, support our local farmers’ market. We have many new vendors along with our favorites who have returned. At our market you can find spring vegetables, early squash and herbs, native, perennial and annual plants for your garden, an array of baked goods, eggs, crafts and even homemade dog biscuits.

Asunda Uribe
On-site market manager

Author: EGGreen
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:52 am 
Asunde; I just read your comprehensive 'June market news', and wanted to let you know that I think you do a great job! Thanks for all the info.