-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
John Crow
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: crow
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:44 pm 
It's been proposed that Silver City put a Welcome sign on each of the 3 highways leading into Silver City, Highway 90, 180 East and 180 West. The Town would like everybody to vote for 1 of 4 options but because voting is by text one could type "None of The Above". It was pointed out by Councilwoman Cano (corrected from Bettison) at Tuesday's council meeting that 3 of the 4 are missing the word "To" while Councilman Ray wanted the sign bi-lingual.

View the 4 artist concepts and vote by Clicking Here

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:52 am 
Correction, it was Councilwoman Cano who pointed out the missing word.

Author: YelloJeep
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:59 am 
IMHO...the word "to" is not needed...definitely bi-lingual, ie. Chinese and English. Doesn't the town have more pressing needs than signs? Aren't there already signs at the city limits? Again, IMHO...

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Author: JE1947
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:45 am 
I'd like to say that as the First Reich of King Donald Trump is bearing down on us, when he has villified: handicapped individuals; singled out Mexican undocumented immigrants; suggested plans on deporting as many as 1,000,000 initially; Muslims; most likely, setting off in his ignorance backlash against Arab Americans who may be seen as Muslim but are more likely either secular Arabs or Christian Arabs; made it clear that he sees women in terms of "0-10"; likely in his four years, will work to "roll back Roe v. Wade;" has managed to insult the Chinese; more than likely to set in motion a crisis with Kim Jong Un, the North Korean President; and, perhaps most egregiously, rejected the initial findings of intelligence agencies that Vladimir Putin's intelligence agencies messed with our election .... gee, I can't think of a more appropriate measure to take than to have a multilingual "welcome sign" at least on NM 90; NM 180 East and West.

As Grant County IS 48% HISPANIC, and perhaps 1-2% Native American; Asian; Pacific Islander; African American ... Welcome to "all races & nationalities" also might be considered.

We may have "Dreamers" here living among us. What happens to that million or so who may be clearly "identified" as part of the Dreamer Process, for early and easy deportation. Same with any "illegals" who applied for driver's licenses in New Mexico.

A bilinguial Welcome To Silver City may be a "welcome" sight for people coming here. Our hospitals have Asian Americans at work ... Nepalese; Chinese; Filipina. America is becoming more diverse and actually, New Mexico I believe, is the FIRST state in the Union, to be more "minority" than "white majority." There will be several states in the next twenty years finding themselves more "minority" than "majority."

At the VERY LEAST, any Welcome to Silver City should be in Spanish, as well. Good lord. Is this rocket science?? If you composed 48% of the county population, and saw a "welcome" sign go up, and not see the "welcome" in your language, how would you feel??

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:43 pm 
Its been suggested that Historic be removed and Bienvenido be inserted. As James Marshall mentioned when he presented these at Tuesday's Council meeting words should be kept to a minimum as people will be speeding by at 55 mph or more. Because of space constraints at the actual city limits they will be placed further out the highways.

Author: JoeButts
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:09 pm 
I'm with YelloJeep. This town has MUCH MORE PRESSING ISSUES than a few stinkin' signs welcoming people to our town. We don't have the level of tourism that even warrants the expense of such signs in my opinion.
We have roads that need to be paved properly. Yankee, our "artist's avenue" is an embarrassment.
The Gila Wilderness is a wonderful place but it doesn't generate substantial income for our community. It's mostly a place for hikers and campers.
We don't have the amount of quality entertainment we had 10 years ago. I don't know if that draws people from other towns much other than the Blues Fest and Tour of the Gila.
Why do we need to be told we've arrived in Silver City? One has to be coming to Silver just to come this way don't they? Well, maybe if they're lost?
Obviously the town and county need more income than expense. Otherwise we wouldn't have had the GRMC 4-mil tax levy event to vote on and the surprise raise in GRT to 8%. Why? Because somebody absconded with $21M?
As for the heritage breakdown of our community, it may be 48% Hispanic but all the ones I've met speak English also, as well should anyone else living in America. It's our national language. Go to foreign countries and insist they have English signs as well as their native language. You may be asked to leave. Certainly, not all do and yet English is considered the "universal language".
If you must make signs for some ridiculous reason, (probably to pad the pockets of some sign maker or contractor) then KISS (Keep It Simple Sweetheart).
And, in closing, stop worrying about Trump. He'll still be under the thumb of Congress and the Senate and other advisors. He's not likely to accomplish more than 2 of the things he's proposed and none will be to the extent he'd like. Would you really be happy with the alternative?

Author: elektron
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:59 pm 
I've been to towns where these semi-silly "Welcome" signs are so out-of-date and deteriorated/faded they are an embarrassment. I think it's safe to assume the town is not funding an endowment for maintenance? So, I recommend stainless steel for longevity.

Author: Bruce
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:25 pm 
Updating the Town's welcome signs has to be a small item in the budget. It's not a question of should we update our signs or repair our roads. You can do minor fixes without ignoring big issues. Updating the signs is good, and so is asking citizens for feedback. I hope everybody goes to the web site and gives constructive feedback. I did.

Bruce

Author: sh1
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:12 pm 
Agreed, Bruce. I suggested the simplest possible design (no country club brick columns) and a legend at the bottom -- "Gateway to the CDT". Shelby