-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
John Crow
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: crow
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:19 pm 
A demolition permit has been issued for the old Long John Silvers. My original investigative article can be found HERE. So far the plan is to build a Veterinary Clinic.

A demolition permit has been issued for the Red Barn and the building permit has been issued for it's replacement, Denny's.

Work will begin after an inspection for toxic materials like asbestos and lead and the appropriate permit issued by the EPA or NMED.

Author: bdlb
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:24 am 
This is great news.
And for those who want to extend the beautification efforts, please consider volunteering this Saturday, the 30th starting at 9:00 am. Silver City MainStreet is coordinating an effort to help spruce up the downtown commercial district before the Tour of the Gila begins. Sign up and gather at the Visitor Center. The projects will focus on are downtown plantings, trash pick-up, washing down the light poles, benches and trash containers.

Author: sh1
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:13 am 
Great news -- thanks, Crow. I'm sure you'll keep us posted on progress to carry out these demo permits. Can't wait to see the last of Long John's!

Shelby

Author: JE1947
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:01 am 
Well, being an afficionado of KFC AND Long John Silver's ... I was bummed when they both went belly up. I heard KFC folks were dealing meth or crack, whatever out of the drive through window. Just what I heard.

Whatever might be built ... a Denny's ... once again ... if they pass the "acid test" in terms of where they're at on racial and ethnic matters, I'd support them coming to town.

We've got a really nice spectrum of restaurants. Look at all the gifted chefs we have; interesting places to try; many small towns haven't even remotely got the same spectrum of cuisine purveyors.

Denny's being national, could pull off some reluctant to try local places ... and for families with kids ... Denny's is predictable for folks traveling on a budget.

So, no objection to me if Denny's meets the tests and wants to come in.

Author: mirocook
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:05 am 
AARP members get a 15% discount at Denny's.

Author: almilligan
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:08 pm 
A good rumor has it that Adobe Springs Restaurant is moving to the old Asian Buffet at hilltop. I saw some workmen there today.

Author: MineralMama
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:55 am 
I spoke to Jen, owner of Adobe Springs, the other day. No, they are not moving to the old Asian Buffet location. For now, they are staying right where they are.