-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
John Crow
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: crow
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:21 pm 
Not so say the owners, when they came through town a week ago Thursday they wanted some feedback on their plan but this was the only sign they had. They sent a photo, taken in Las Cruces, of what they are going to build here.

Work will begin once all the permits, both for demolition and building are obtained. A 4 month construction time is estimated but no begin date has been decided upon.

Author: SCpainter
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:04 pm 
The proposed design of the new Denny's would be a sore thumb on a town trying to maintain a historical reference. It belongs in L.A. not Silver City. Having lived in towns that have design review boards and a Denny's, I have seen Denny's management try to fit in architecturally to the locale into which they intend to move, but it takes a town to insist they do it.

Author: rearnheart
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:39 pm 
Absolutely build the most progressive, architecturally interesting restaurant your imagination can muster! The curse of repeating the past serves only constipate the present. Time after time the argument comes up that buildings or histories cannot survive side by side with contemporary architecture. If you truly take a global look at the combination of the past/present architecture that is embedded in Athens, Rome, Aspen, Prague, Bordeaux, Boston...you realize that these combinations are quite comfortable as neighbors.
Silver City has to come to grips with the reality of living in a world that is continually changing and that sometimes that change, which at the time seems intrusive and inappropriate, is actually what the town needed in the first place.

r.earnheart

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:02 pm 
There is nothing modern about a gaudy plastic building, but it is another corporate brand on the forehead of Silver City. The Community Development Dept has no Planning Dept and no guiding principle even if they had planners. Modern would have solar panels and a south exposure passive solar gain.

The Town and County marvel at their ability to attract low paying, sub poverty wage jobs whose workers often require government subsidies then complain that workers have a low work ethic; its akin to slave labor.

This will replace a local owned business with one where profits will leave the town. Will this increase the number of people who eat out or just reduce business at the locally owned restaurants? Will this increase tourism because more will come if there is another corporate restaurant?

Author: elektron
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:48 am 
I'm grateful to Crow for tracking this. I have to say, the Red Barn has always been an inappropriate design for Simple City. A barn? Are you serious? Cheesy when it was built, and no better in its final years when it became a dive. Web restaurant reviews were getting brutal. No, the new Denny's doesn't look pretty. I'm disappointed, but it has to be better than what's there now. And Denny's won't be as dark as a tomb inside. I always felt you needed a flashlight inside the Dead Barn.

Author: Bruce
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:37 am 
The zoning at 180 and Silver is commercial. You can see this on the Silver City zoning map at:

http://www.townofsilvercity.org/communi ... ning_L.pdf

Click on the zoom button to zoom into the area. Commercial zoning has some limits on buildings, but nothing that would limit any reasonable design of a restaurant. The zoning code does not favor local over chains. Private property owners are all treated the same. The only exception is in the historic area zones, and this is far from any of those. In fact, it is almost next door to a chain drug store (CVC), across the street from chain gas stations, and not far from Sonic.

We might like to discourage chain restaurants, and in fact we have none in the downtown or historic districts. But on state highways like 180, there are many chain businesses. We have no way to stop them or to control their architecture, and frankly I don't see any way that we could have such ordinances without legal fairness problems with the ones that are already here. If we wanted to stop chains, we would have had to have started long ago.

While I personally have never liked chain restaurants, I have heard many other residents say that they wish Silver City had this chain or that. The only way to stop chain restaurants is to refuse to patronize them. I personally haven't been to Sonic or any other chain restaurant in town for many years. Why would anyone pick a chain restaurant over Kumquat, Diane's, Tre Rosat, One Zero 6, or other locally owned restaurants? Well, because in many cases the chains are cheaper. I (like most of the people complaining) am a minority in not liking chain restaurants.

There's nothing we can do to stop a Denny's, and I suspect that it will do fine here, even without my patronage.

Bruce

Author: rearnheart
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:37 pm 
Out of town but still interested....
Only two comments:
One, Denny's is a family restaurant. A family of 4 can't afford to eat at Jake's or Diane's. Great to be dining as a family together, regardless of what the restaurant looks like.
Two: I spoke with the guys that are involved with this development and I asked them about their 'green' commitment. They always use CFL lighting, they use tile as opposed to carpet (not sure if that constitutes anything 'green'), they can't use solar panels but the chain is considering them as ancillary. They have 1600 restaurants and if they added some solar it would be significant on a national footprint.
rearnheart

Author: JE1947
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:27 pm 
More interested in what earnhart had to say. If the Denny's can work towards what Silver City IS; has dumped any discriminatory practices; yes, what about families instead of elite thinking ... affordable is affordable. Not poison. Ate there many times in ABQ, El Paso, Tucson for medical trips. Prices are predictable. Menu is predictable. $32 for two burgers with cheese; one order of fries; two bottled waters? Two guys? I'm sorry, but many of us ARE on fixed incomes.The national character of the chain might bring some families here who would take in hiking, biking, horse back into Gila or Aldo; might work deals with motels for price discounts; helpful for families planning big trip ... one in Deming; one in T or C. Silver says no? If they can add or be open to some solar adjuncts, push that for it's different approach ...

Author: n2ic
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:41 am 
I see that we have lost another fine dining establishment....

The Burger King, next to the county admin building, appears to have closed.

A great loss for Grant County (<- note tongue-in-cheek ->)

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:56 pm 
On Tuesday the Town received from the developers an application for a Demolition Permit and a Building Permit along with the architecture plans. The Town has 2 weeks for each department to review and comment on the application and drawings. So far the Director of the Community Development Department has, among other things requested clarification of the outdoor lighting and whether it conforms to the "Dark Sky" code as outlined in the Town Land Use Code. The Building Inspector will also review it as will the Fire Marshall.

There is no Code nor Ordinance that requires alternative designs as is obvious all along the 180 corporate ally.