-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
John Crow
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: crow
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:21 am 
After a cop transports a sick, rabid or dead animal in the back seat of a patrol car and he/she then transports a person in need or an arrestee in that same back seat?

Many in Silver City may have noticed that when they call in an animal complaint to Central Dispatch a blue uniform patrolman from the SCPD responds. A week or so ago I realized that I hadn't heard Sherwood, the Animal Control Officer answering calls over the police scanner so I called a Town Administrator. When a Town administrator says "no comment" we know that worker is not on vacation.

When I found Sherwood he agreed to an interview in which he stated he had been on paid administrative leave since October 8th after he was accused of a verbal assault on a citizen on that day near the intersection of Bullard and College. He also stated he had perhaps 6 other previous complaints filed against him by people "who didn't like him". Coming up later this week he will face a final disciplinary hearing before an AFCME, American Federation of County and Municipal Employees, Union committee who will decide his fate.

Though the Town of Silver City has advertised for a temporary Animal Control Officer position, in 5 weeks the position as not been filled so the beat cops are expected to transport dead, sick, abandoned and sometimes violent animals to their respective destination like the dump or the Humane Society in the back seat of their patrol car.

A few nights ago a call went out for a sick dog in someones back yard that looked like mange but could be any number of illnesses, the cop responding sounded very worried and concerned as to how to deal with the issue while protecting himself and any future riders in the backseat.

Author: Fenestra
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:16 am 
You have to have a thick skin to deal with animals...the 2-legged kind being the worst. Sherwood, vastly overworked, has always been there when I needed help with a feral cat trap, animal-issues, etc. People can get all testy when their crits are being taken away, or ordered to be restrained. Sherwood is a Policeman( not merely the dog-catcher) and deserves respect. I hope the hearing board decides in his favor and he can get back to doing what he does. Lots of barking dogs in my neighborhood...all night long. Hope Sherwood is enjoying his ad. leave and will soon be able to get back to doing what he does so well.

Paula Geisler

Author: frances
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:40 am 
The entire concept, activity, and community relations bound within the job title "Animal Control Officer" has got to be one of the most difficult and frustrating gigs out there. Ideally Silver City would have officers doing weekend duty as well. I imagine that like so many other lines of work, Monday or the first day back to work...which in Sherwood's case might be Tuesday, is clogged with backed up requests and duties. I wonder on which day this altercation took place?

Regarding Sherwood's performance , I think he does the best he can given A. The widespread ignorance of many about animals B.That resistance to being told what to do with your animal parallels (for many) the idea it's okay to assault/treat as chattel one's spouse or one's animal...errr NO. You'd be surprised how many people do not know there are laws governing animal welfare.
Verbal assaults are just that...words. The words might aggrieve, but given the pressures of the job, one would have to be saintly not to lose it from time to time. I hope that he is treated fairly in his review.

Author: Joanie
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:32 am 
Who can we write to or call to support Sherwood?

He's been a great ACO!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:09 pm 
Sherwood had his hearing this morning (Thursday Nov 19); no word yet on any decision. The issue is not whether Sherwood did or didn't do a good job but whether he had an inappropriate interaction with a resident, ie: verbal assault.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:15 pm 
As further update on my previous response, within 3 days the hearing board will submit its recommendation to Alex Brown who will then make the final decision. More on all this as the process moves forward.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:56 pm 
Sherwood Nance, Animal Control Officer for the past 9 and 1/2 years has resigned as of last Friday, Nov 20. This comes a day after his appearance before the AFSCME union hearing board composed of 3 randomly chosen union members. I can only assume the hearing did not go well for him though he has not returned my calls.

Author: Nancy Kaminski
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:28 am 
I am sorry to hear Sherwood is gone. He did a thankless job pretty well for us for a very long time.
And what we really need is an animal control officer. Last week two pets were killed by loose dogs. A friend is currently in treatment in El Paso for a severe bite from loose dogs in Silver City.
I hope we get a replacement soon!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:02 am 
Nancy is correct, the dog situation in Town is getting way out of control.