-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
John Crow
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: crow
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:54 pm 
Last Thursday, I found just about the whole Silver City PD in Gough Park for the yearly photo shoot for their web site and 2016 calendar. Pictured above is the Uniformed Patrol Division; 3 Sergeants standing in second row and the Lieutenant and Captain kneeling with 2 patrolmen in front row. The Uniformed Patrol consists of 19 men and 2 women, excluding the Lieutenant and Captain.. On picture day 1 patrolman was absent. To read an analysis of numbers see below.

Two detectives and on right the Captain of the Detective Division. Two detectives were absent.

And the 4 office ladies, there were moments that they posed for the official photographer but she had to be quick. A gregarious fun loving bunch as I've ever seen. That said I must add that in the office they have been very helpful and competent in accommodating my records requests.

Two others not shown above, on left Bob the It Guy for the whole Town including the PD and Chief Reynolds. While I was distracted the ladies were having their picture taken by Bob the IT Guy and the Chief had jumped in with the ladies, I don't know what he said but pandemonium broke out and I snapped this just before the Chief walked past and said "gotta have a little fun".

Chief Reynolds poses for his official photo.

There are a few job openings: 2 more patrolman/woman and 1 narcotics detective; but wait, some would ask, more cops? Lets look at some numbers;
Population: The Census count for Silver City residents- 10,300 but real daily count is estimated to be more in the range of 15,000 to 17,000. The Town is the shopping/entertainment mecca for people as far north as Glenwood and beyond, south to Hatchita and Lordsburg and east to Mimbres and beyond and is the Grant County Seat for 20,000+ residents beyond Town borders.

Cops to Population Ratio: The latest stats from the Department of Justice Statistics dated 2003 show the national average of 2.5 cops per 1000 population. So do we calculate using 10,000 (25 uniforms) or 15,000 (37 uniforms) or 17,000 for 42 uniforms? For now we have 21 uniforms to cover 3 shifts a day 7 days a week with vacations, sick time, injury time etc.

On any given shift there are between 3 and 5 patrolmen/women cruising the streets of the 10 square miles of Silver City. But Silver City is the also the hub for every highway and many streets leading to the various corners of Grant County so we see many County Sheriffs, Forest Service Cops, Fish and Game Cops, State Cops on their way elsewhere and any of them, given certain circumstances, could make a stop. Though the County Sheriffs have the authority for making general traffic stops and sometime do, it doesn't seem like they have that as a priority but do pass through often. There are times when things are so busy the County Sheriffs and sometimes a State Cop will be called in to assist.

The County Sheriffs, from their station in the County Admin building in Silver City, service County residents out Swan, Little Walnut. Cottage San, Highway 90 to Tyrone and Hatchita, Ridge Road to the Jail and beyond, Rosedale Rd, Arenas Vally to the Mimbres and Lake Roberts and beyond well you get the point, they're always moving through Town.

Those are some numbers but regardless of what one may believe is enough or too many cops I believe what is most important is both how the cops treat any given citizen as well as how the citizens treat the cops. Each needs to act in ways that grow trust and respect as opposed to fear, intimidation and anger from either side because we are all neighbors and swim around the same fish bowl.

To be sure, there are criminals, angry people and crazy people, I don't envy the cops job but there has to be mechanisms in place to assist the community in maintaining perspective and fighting against the drift towards separation, isolation, anger and frustration and a "them and Us" thing experienced by both cops and the community as a whole (those being policed).

One such attempt at bringing everybody together is being called "Community Policing" and over the last few months I've heard a lot of talk from Town Administrators and others but, as yet no solid plan though I'm told it is being worked on. I hold out hope and I would hope that interested community members are brought into the discussion of this "Community" Plan.

What do I think? I think we have a good Cop Shop, though everything human needs constant refining and nurturing. I don't use the term cop shop derogatorily, I don't use the term "Police Force" because Force is such a small part of a good cops job. We could all start waving to each other more often like we're all part of the same community.

Author: EGGreen
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:19 am 
Good article, John! I agree, we're all neighbors, so in that sense of being neighbors let's create better bonds of real community. How do we do this? Well, more than one citizen's committee ought to exist I think. Teens need one, main street needs one, the homeless, the religious community, --any other consolidated, collaborative group-- once a month one of the groups could meet with either the chief or his lieutenant and a couple cops relevant to that group's concerns, not just for a laughing good time, though some of that would be fun, but to seriously discuss relevant concerns with a goal to work toward solutions. What's our plan to create better community? It won't just happen because we wish it would or beat the issue to death with arguments. Could our city representatives help this happen?

Author: Beadlady
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:29 am 
So, Query: Where does everyone here the loudest police sirens the most often? Pick One:

Historic Downtown
Alabana/Cottage San
Little Walnut
Silver Heights (up Pope thru to Main)
Highway toward Walmart
Chihuahua Hill
Up Mountain View
Up highway toward Tyrone

Author: EGGreen
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:10 am 
I live two blocks north of 90 by Alabama, and Little Walnut--so I hear everything screaming in all 3 directions!

Author: frankie26
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:02 pm 
Just to mention, not all sirens come from law enforcement agencies, there are also fire and emergency medical ambulances from the hospital that respond with emergency warning lights and sirens.

Author: crow
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:34 pm 
Indeed frankie26, the majority of the sirens are SCFD Rescue (ambulances) and GRMC EMS Ambulances then either Fire Trucks or SCPD and Sheriffs in 2nd and 3rd depending on the day and time of year. A few years ago because of articles and comments here on Gila Community News there was an effort made to tone down the loudness and inappropriate use of sirens, especially late at night; there seems to be a number of rockies or forgetful long termers who don't understand the issue of the echo effect in this fishbowl we live in.