-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
John Crow
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: crow
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:11 pm 
Friday evening Silver City held its first ever "Graffito Fest". The organizers strung some lights in one of the culvert tunnels and over 15 young and old budding artists and not quite artists came and spray painted. Most had never before attempted the art form. As time went on during the 5 hour event and toxic fumes displaced the oxygen many more arrived and left discouraged by the toxic environment. Below are some photos of early in the event and 20 hrs later but only represent a small portion of the art and messages filling the walls.

One of the first images painted by one of the organizes.

Hmmm, there is a nose and mouth in the lower left.

About an hour into the 5 hour event the were 8 people spraying paint and the oxygen was nearly gone. Only one experienced painter arrived with a duel filter face mask; though inadequate probably did help some.

Sometime in the hours after the event 2 messages were inserted: at the top s "Enjoy the Moment" and below is "Fuck the Whole 3rd Grade" which for reasons I won't go into right now teachers, school admins and parents need to pay head to.

Author: pekeclooney
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:34 am 
What a negative twist put on such a glorious event. I was there for hours (unlike the author of the above article), and everyone interested in participating did just that. There was ample varieties of paint (spray cans, paint, acrylics and chalk) if toxicity was a concern. There were more than enough spaces for art at the entrances of the tunnel if anyone's REAL concern was for the "oxygen levels". Most people came to view the artists at work and were offered space/materials multiple times by the organizers and gathered group of artists. If anyone was injured or suffered from lack of oxygen (which no one did), there was ample police presence at the event and an ambulance just up the pathway to the site at the fire station. And need I mention the million dollar insurance policy?

The entire tunnel was filled with beautiful spontaneous murals during the event. To focus your report on the one piece of negative art in the entire area does a disservice to our artists and to the community that came to participate.

I saw mothers coming to view there children's spontaneous art. I saw kids learn that the only color for graffiti wasn't just black and red (thanks for the great color palette, organizers). I saw people sharing materials and helping each other find just the right color. I saw people of all different groups/ages introducing themselves and making friends, complementing each other's art work and even a local artists hazarding "the condition" to create some unexpected beauty in the Big Ditch. I went back the next day to take photographs, and the late night artists had added to the works and respected others' creativity!

What I didn't see was all the negativity that was printed here.

Thank you to the artists and the organizers. I hope this is the first of many more such events that let our community communicate through ART, not anger and prejudice.

Author: EGGreen
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:16 am 
Whoever's idea this was and the organizers. ...Good on you!! (In Aussie speak) . Wonderful way to treat street artists! Silver City sure has some great people!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:27 am 
Yes, may there be many more of these events but they need to be brought up out of the dark tunnels and into the natural light and fresh air as I mentioned in my first article back on August 29. I hope the Town Leaders and the larger art community can see the interest in and need for this type of expression and insist it not stay underground in such an unhealthy environment. My I suggest that soon there will be brand new bridge pillars to be decorated with either "gang slang" or art such as this.

Author: SCNeighbors Alliance
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:33 am 
"Gang slang" contains directions to where to buy heroin/meth, where weapons can be traded, and send messages of violence when a guy gets out of jail and is building a crew, in part, by fighting members of another crew. Were I you, I'd withdraw the "gang slang" from the post and urge only the art.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:49 am 
This is a choice thing, if the community chooses to do nothing than "gang slang" magically appears like mold and replaced by ugly paint blotches as the Town paints over them like we see at the skate park where street art is discouraged. I would choose street art but for now it is confined to a few dark tunnels and culverts.

Both my articles advocate bringing this art out into the open, I just haven't offered up a plan on how this would be accomplished.

Author: ynotwrite2
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:29 pm 
one of the organizers here.
in spite of the spraypaint fumes, most appeared to have some jolly good artistic fun. i know i did. its a bit of a job to be an impresario for a public event and i wasn't disappointed.
thanks to all the artists and visitors to the site for the duration. AND a special thanks to my fellow organizers,donors and volunteers who really made this possible.
i've lived in Silver City for 2 score plus years and really like my place in and my sense of place here. Warts and all.
Please wander by and see the result of 5 hours of artistic fun. on Hudson Street southbound there's a foot path just south of the town fire station. walk a few yards down the path and look into the stream bed, then walk along the path/ sidewalk to the rock ramp on the left and down you go to a path leading back to the culvert.
From College Street. just before the red sculpture head north past the round flower bed, down the path to the sidewalk and footbridge. go along the sidewalk and you'll soon be at the ramp on the right.
Enjoy!

Author: Dejavu
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:44 pm 
I was at this event for an hour working on a piece. I had a great time working with this new art form. Afterward I started coughing. I thought it was just a regular old cough, I thought maybe that I was getting sick. It's been a week since the event, and it seems to me like my cough is just getting worse and worse. I'm not sick, but my cough sounds deathly. I feel like working in a tunnel like this with so many people working at the same time was a huge mistake. I love the fact that we are letting the street artists out, but is this really letting their art out? It's still hidden to those who don't walk in the ditch, and it filled my lungs with toxins that will never leave. It may not have any harm to many people, but the long term effects of breathing in these toxins are much worse than the immediate effects.

Author: pekeclooney
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:51 am 
Too make the next graffiti festival safer/better perhaps someone might donate the use of some ventilators and fans to allow those people concerned about toxic fumes the ability participate without worry.

As for DeJavu's cough persistent cough, I suggest a trip to the doctor to waylay any fears especially if the cough is "deathly" sounding. Be sure to disclose about your participation in the graffiti festival as exposure to toxins can affect assessment and diagnosis. I would also suggest having the doctor test for the flu, which according to the newspaper already has several cases diagnosed in Silver City this season.