-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
Moses Clark
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: SMB
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:16 pm 
Is there a service in town that takes smaller, occasional batches of documents for shredding and recycles the paper? I know there is one that serves businesses, but we just need to occasionally dispose of a few pounds of papers that would choke our small shredder.

Sharon

Author: mousie
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:21 am 
I'd like to know, too. I've got a bunch of documents that need to be shredded, and will have more in the near future.
Mary-Anne

Author: Kevin B
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:22 pm 
Hey folks, well maybe this will help. I recently heard a notice on the radio about some church around here sponsoring a community document shredding event. I'm not sure if it's over and done with or still scheduled to happen but maybe you could track that down.

Alternatively, a few days ago I lent a hand to a fellow who's getting a papercrete mixer going. I don't feel at liberty to post his name on the net, but I will say he's the brother of the woman who runs the Little Toad. So if you know that family, that's a pretty big hint. If you don't know them, go down to the Toad and ask around. Mention her brother who's working with papercrete, she'll know exactly which brother you're referring to, and ask her to put you in touch with him. Assuming you get past that step, he either is or will soon be mixing up sizable batches of papercrete. I'm sure he'd be happy to throw your old documents into the mix whereupon they won't just be torn to shreds, they'll be fully emulsified into mush, encapsulated with cement and gone for all eternity. Papercrete processing and document destruction is a marriage made in heaven between two parties that for whatever the reason don't yet seem to have met.

Good luck. Getting rid of old doc's is just a bothersome but necessary chore.

Author: mousie
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:03 am 
Thanks Kevin! I'll look into it.

mousie

Author: Raye
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:16 am 
That papercrete project might be an answer to my issue too. I have a lovely little shredder that takes care of my paperwork, but then I'm left with bags of confetti that I used to send in the city's recycling bin, in closed plastic trash bags. Now they say they won't take plastic bags, and I'm certainly not about to put the confetti loose in the bin. Any suggestions would be appreciated, other than sending the paper to the landfill, which I don't want to do.

Author: Bruce
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:13 pm 
If you're not supposed to put shredded paper in plastic bags that's news to me (and probably to many others). Because I have a building where tenants do paperwork, I see a lot of shredded paper going to recycling. And it's all in plastic bags. If the town really objects to this they need to say so more clearly, and even if they don't like it, they won't be able to stop it.

Bruce

Author: Raye
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:34 pm 
I saw that information in one of the early announcements of the new bin system, maybe they're not pushing it so hard now. I'll just have to try it and see what happens.

Author: gorwest
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:45 am 
The recycling system is now fully automated. Your bin is collected by garbage truck with a mechanical arm. It is taken to the landfill where it's dumped onto a conveyor that takes everything (that's why it's called 'single-stream' recycling) into a machine that compresses it all into 1000# bales. The bales are trucked to a recycling facility where they are broken open and a line of gizmos (magnets, air blasts, etc.) separates it back into an assortment of like items that can be sold as raw materials. The reason to not put paper into plastic bags is that when it gets to the sorting facility, it is still in a plastic bag, which messes up the process - you either have plastic going in with paper, or paper going in with plastic. Even if a human was involved, it's too costly to have them opening and emptying plastic bags to get the $0.0001 worth of paper out. The net effect is that the whole point of recycling is negated, and we end up paying to have stuff collected and shipped to places far away only to have it landfilled there.

As the earlier posts stated, the best thing would be to use the paper locally, and papercrete is a very good idea. I did not know that 'he who shall not be named' was getting into papercrete, but he should meet up with Bill Knauss out at Gila WoodNet and collaborate. Bill has a huge amount of papercrete experience and has fabbed up some processing equipment (mixers and semi-automated brick/block presses) that make incredibly consistent and durable papercrete products. Bill has even made papercrete with biochar in it! All that is missing is someone with the energy and interest to run a papercrete operation there.

Anyone interested in papercrete, biochar, or Chipcrete should come out for a tour.

Gordon

Author: lalalynda
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:05 am 
I am pretty certain that the large paper shredding truck will be at this year's Earth Day. I know the Town's Recycling Committee is working on the logistics.

One year I unloaded about a dozen boxes of documents to have shredded. The company that comes in with the big truck is bonded, and they guarantee care and confidentiality in shredding the documents.

The lead organization for 2018 Earth Day is GRIP -- so if folks who want to have documents shredded can keep collecting them until April 21, 2018 and then take them to the recycle area (the parking lot across from Gough Park) on Earth Day that might be a good solution.

GRIP also is calling for participants and volunteers for Earth Day to make it the informative and fun event it has always been. So please mark your calendar and get involved!

http://gilaresources.info/wp/blog/2018/02/23/registervolunteer-2018-earth-day-celebration-april-21-10am-2pm-gough-park/

Lynda

Author: EarthWise
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:19 pm 
Hi, this is Dominic. What Kevin said is true, I am going to be pulping all the paper I can get my hands on. ( actually, glossy colored paper doesn't work too well, where as shredded paper is wonderful.) So if anybody wants to arrange a pick up or drop off of paper just give me a call or text 654-6745. Thanks

Author: Bruce
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:16 pm 
I saw a video of the single source conveyor line for recyclables. You could probably find the video by searching YouTube. I believe it would cut and punch the bags so that the paper would later blow out and it wouldn't be a problem. If they didn't do this at first, they probably would have added a machine to do it once they noticed the problem. The whole idea of the conveyor with many different machines was to handle any possible material in any form. Inevitably there would be some non-recyclable material that they couldn't separate, but they would just trash anything left at the end.

Bruce

Author: crow
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:25 pm 
Another opportunity to shred papr:

On Earth Day, April 21, as a part of the Recycling program there, there will be a shredder truck for people to bring their papers and confidential documents for shredding. The time is 10 to 2, and the location is in the parking lot south of Gough Park. People enter the area via the drive way behind the old Sustainable living / now community service organizations building off 11th street just east of Polk Street

Kelduyn

Author: SMB
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:34 pm 
Thank you, everyone, for the suggestions on how to get my shredding done. The Earth Day suggestion seems to work for us for documents that we want to keep secure.

Dominic...Does paper have to be shredded before we take it to you, or do you also shred?

It has occurred to me that walk-in shredding of small quantities of private documents might be a useful addition to an existing business here in town.

Again, thanks to all!
Sharon

Author: bdlb
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:05 am 
I saw a truck in town this morning with the company's information:
https://www.shredit.com/en-us/home
The phone number was 1-800-69-SHRED