-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
Moses Clark
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: crow
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:40 am 
1) Richard Michael Reed aka Mick, shown above and wanted locally on a number of charges, has violated probation in Las Cruces for 2 felonies (Aggravated Assault (Deadly Weapon) and felony burglary) and Reserve (felony Receiving Stolen Property.
Mick was spotted just before 8 am Tuesday Dec 26 driving north on 180 West when, with a GC Deputy in hot pursuit he fled into the rugged mountains north of Mule Creek, abandoned his high centered car in a creek bed and vanished.

2) At about 2 pm Tuesday Dec 26, an unknown assailant shot and killed one and serious wounded another at the old wholesale grocery distribution warehouse, now apartments at 1000 Slag Road which is just up the dirt road heading west from under the 90 bridge.

How does this, #2, tie into a report just after 1:30 pm of a man, waking under the 90 bridge, dressed in camo and carrying a shot gun who the SCPD cops were out looking for when they were directed just up the road to the murder scene? Any witnesses to that man need to call the SCPD.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:57 pm 
Update to incident #2 above:

On December 27, 2017 Silver City Police Detectives along with the Grant County Sheriff’s Detectives finished the execution of a search warrant at 1000 Slag Road.

The suspects were identified as Deceased Eric Arzate 48 years old of Silver City N.M. and John V Shivner 45 years old also of Silver City N.M. John Shivner is now in stable condition and charged with Aggravated Burglary, Attempted robbery, Possession of a firearm by a Felon and Aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. During the investigation it was determined that Eric Arzate and John Shivner entered the residence armed with handguns and with the intention to commit a robbery.

Both suspects were dressed in camouflage “ Eric Arzate was dressed in a vest displaying a badge and markings of a police officer wearing a helmet with police written in the front of the helmet. During the commission of the robbery Eric Arzate was shot and killed. John V Shivener was also shot and injured and currently being treated for his injuries.

Anyone that has information on this incident please call Central Dispatch at (575)388-8840 or The Silver City Police Department at (575)538-3723.

# # #
Date: December 28, 2017
Synopsis: Suspects Identified

Author: frances
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:16 am 
Thank you to our EMS/Fire People/Police. Thousands and thousands of dollars spent towards two misguided and dangerous individuals...Happy New Year $$$$

I am struck how over the past decade pro-every type of gun supporters always say, (pointing to the too many to mention mass shootings) "If someone had a gun maybe this situation could have been avoided". And no one ever has a gun (in the right hands) and slaughter occurs. I think..with the NRA power and gun sales off the charts WHY when you need the damn gun it's never there. Having grown up with family who hunt I know that all firearms are not created equal. Nor are the predators hunted.

Author: Bruce
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:27 pm 
I'm still trying to figure out what happened here. It sounds like two armed thieves dressed as police broke into a house. But the people in the house (still unnamed and uncounted) "struggled" with the thieves and shot them. But did these people in the house use their own weapons? Or did they use the thieves' weapons? There's a lot more to this story than is being told. And it doesn't necessarily support the theory that guns won't help if you have a break-in. Also, the newspaper (but not this press release) says the thieves broke into an RV parked on Slag Road near the old warehouse. What's an RV doing down there? It's not exactly an RV park. Is this really a rare case when innocent civilians are minding their own business when armed burglars break into their "residence"? This incomplete story leaves plenty of room for the imagination.

Bruce

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:30 pm 
I agree Bruce there are more questions than answers. When I ask Captain Ricky about the man with the shotgun his answer was evasive and didn't make sense so I didn't even try to quote him. It appears the cops don't know much yet.

Author: Bruce
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:19 pm 
Shotgun? Man with? This is the first I've heard of that. Not in your story or the Daily Press story. Did both "victims" have shotgun wounds?

Bruce

Author: Kevin B
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:03 pm 
And, subsequently, a search warrant was issued to search the invaded residence, now "RV". What's that about? It would seem likely drugs are at the bottom of all this, no other explanation seems crazy enough.

As for Eric Arzate, the fellow who was killed, this isn't the first time he's been shot. He was also the subject of an apparently staged robbery at the rest stop south of Hurley a few years ago. A bunch of others were arrested in that fiasco as well. His NM Courts record shows him having been in and out of every court around here over the last 10 years over a crazy assortment of charges.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:06 pm 
Bruce, I mentioned the man with a shotgun in my original article above.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:57 pm 
Yes...the recently deceased male was shot in the back in September 2013. The circumstances of the incident are just plain weird, and I too am questioning what is the CLEAR story on the more recent incident . Was the RV parked at at a residence?Why is the picture in the SC press showing the warehouse, not an RV. And do people live in that warehouse? Since when? Please get some factual info...anyone. If this crime was an animal it would have the head of a chicken, the body of a kangaroo and the tail of an ostrich. I'm counting on you John to lift up the covers!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:18 am 
Now this:

http://gunmemorial.org/2017/12/26/eric-arzate

I agree..this was probably a drug related crime..the posers/police were going to rob the RV for cash and drugs , otherwise who would even bother to raid some random RV on some even more random Slagg road address? Impersonating police is what you would do if you wanted to make the impression of force, righteousness..and I am guessing that whoever the person of residence in the RV was, he was prepared to defend himself...maybe more so than the average RV'er...

This incident has the premeditated dramatic touches similar to the Hurley "staged" robbery and at least one individual(E. Arzate) was linked to both.

Author: JE1947
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:24 pm 
Friends listening to a scanner heard all of this & directed the "Cub Reporter" my friend ... to the area but he had already wandered around seeing the emergency vehicles. He spoke with a woman who claimed to be the daughter of man shot. If anyone was walking around with a shot gun in this area, it would seem that something was coming ... home invasion? For what? Whether this involved drugs seems likely, but we will have to wait for the cops to move into some kind of detective mode to learn more. Silver City has a dark underside that is associated with drugs. A meth dealer lived two doors down from us for eight, ten years. I told cops directly & showed them the house. He was busted among a bunch; received heaviest sentence; looked to me like he was on house arrest; whatever that period was, he was back at it again. The guy looked like Cro Magnon Man every time he came outside into the sun. A man who must've died as a meth dealer. His source was farther up the area in Boston Hills area. If Meth, is it from Mexico? Mexico may be saying: let's send those Americans some really hot loads. We'll help them build that stupid wall: with American bodies. The opioid epidemic is for real. Cutting America's average life expectancy by several numbers. Isn't that just swell??

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:35 pm 
A friend of mine visiting over the holidays was at a local library and one of the patron's ankle bracelet kept going off..beeping..whatever they do when you are not where you should be.

Author: MineralMama
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:54 pm 
#1 (above): Richard Michael Reed aka Mick, turned himself in (in Reserve)