-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
John Crow
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: crow
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:10 am 
The Earth2Trump Resistance Roadshow stopped in Silver City Sunday for an eventing of inspirational music, encouraging speeches and message writing to Trump and 300 locals showed up. The messages were deposited in the large plastic globe shown above and at some time after the Roadshow arrives in Washington DC on January 18 will be presented to Trump or his transition team.

This group, maned and sponsored by the Center For Biological Diversity is one of 2 groups currently on the road. This group composed of 6 people is traveling by a very large van but the second group visiting cities in the central and northern US is traveling by train. This southern group which left Oakland California on January 2nd will visit 7 cities before arriving in DC on the 18th and the other group having left from Seattle on the same day will visit 6 cities before meeting up with the southern group in DC on the 18th; both groups will take part in activist activities during the inauguration on Jan 20th including the Women's March On Washington on January 21st.

Messages being written to Trump.

Author: Dejavu
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:29 pm 
This is definitely scary times we are walking into.

Author: mousie
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:04 pm 
Israel - as usual - says, "you owe us." Korea says, "We're gonna bomb you." Russia says they're going to pound us into the ground. I think Obama did a fabulous job of making us the most hated country in the world. I pray Trump lives up to some of the promises he's made, and in that process, I hope he quits sending our hard-earned money and free help to all these miserable countries who are living off us so they don't have to try to better themselves and quit being the leeches they are. Everyone's making promises. What is Trump going to do about any of it?

At the beginning of Trump's campaigning, I was fairly optimistic, and always, it was a battle of the best liars, and Trump won. I'm still neutral about him, but I don't want to hear about promises he can't/won't keep. I have a feeling that he mightn't last his full four years. If he wants to spend money, let him spend his own - but spend it to help solve problems in our country first. Let's just say I'm uneasy. I'm not so sure he plans to do much for his country.

mousie

Author: msauber
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:07 pm 
Mousie, you said "I think Obama did a fabulous job of making us the most hated country in the world."

I believe the hatred started a bit before him. If you recall, after 911, we bombed the living hell out of a country that had no weapons of mass destruction. I believe THAT was what precipitated the whole mess in the middle east that I'm afraid will go on forever. Way too many people were killed that did nothing wrong. I'd be pretty angry about it if that happened here. Please recall Bush was president then.

Author: crow
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:21 am 
The President of the US serves at the pleasure of the military who are in an unholy alliance with the war industry. As we watched the 1961 farewell speech by the outgoing President General Dwight Eisenhower we learned a term when he warned us of the power of the "military/industrial complex". It was a new term for us and over the last 56 years both the military and their supportive industry, military hardware, petroleum etc, have grown exponentially into the larger than life monsters they are today. Obviously Kennedy,the next president didn't heed the warning and was terminated.

We're about to see how Trump deals with it but he probably already knows and has nominated 3 Generals for his cabinet and the most aggressive petroleum shill.

Author: alan wagman
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:54 am 
Reasons to dislike the United States did not begin in 2001. The U.S. overthrew Democratically elected leaders in favor of dictatorships in Iran in 1953, Guatemala in 1954, the Dominican Republic in 1965, Congo in 1960, and Chile in 1973. We first prevented an election in 1956 in Vietnam and then killed 2 million (low estimate) Vietnamese over the following 20 years to make sure the election never happened. We occupied Haiti for 19 years and only left after we had established a brutally secure dictatorship. The U.S. has been training death squads and dictators at the School of the Americas at Fort Benning, Georgia for decades. The list goes on.

We conveniently forget, keep ourselves ignorant, or pretend we never knew any of this. But the rest of the world knows and remembers. Wake up.

AW

Author: Pat W
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:32 am 
Thank you Alan for your reply. Americans are ignorant of our brutal history or choose to ignore it. Unfortunately the Empire and its war machine marches on. Bush and Cheney created the middle east mess and it will come back here to bite us in the arse I think eventually.

Author: mousie
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:39 am 
I totally agree with what you all said. I was merely keeping it confined to the Obie era. However you're all right in that this has been going on for decades.

mousie