-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
John Crow
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: crow
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:26 pm 
This past Monday (11/28/16), Brian Cunningham, CEO of Gila Regional Medical Center (GRMC) submitted his notice of resignation to GRMC’s Chairman of the Board, Jeremiah Garcia.

“There is no way that I could adequately express my thankfulness for the opportunity to serve GRMC for these past 14 years, and especially for the last 3 years as CEO, stated Cunningham. I have learned and grown so much as a result of working side-by-side with all of you, and we have together tackled enormous challenges and achieved some incredible results. I can honestly say to all of you that I gave GRMC everything I had, and I can also honestly say that I got so much more in return from all of you.”

Cunningham added, “after living and serving in this area for over 20 years it is time to move on and I do this in full confidence that because of GRMC’s incredibly caring and committed caregivers and medical providers, and because of the commitment and expertise of GRMC’s Board of Trustees, Gila Regional will continue to move forward in this most challenging healthcare environment and carry on with its mission of serving the healthcare needs of this community. GRMC and everyone connected with it will always have my deepest admiration and respect, and I wish everyone the very best.”

During Cunningham’s tenure as CEO of GRMC and in partnership with the Board of Trustees, Medical Providers and Caregivers, the organization accomplished a significant financial turnaround, achieved a 4-STAR Quality Rating through the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), grew the types of services offered to the community and implemented numerous innovative and effective systems and processes.

Jeremiah Garcia, who has been in a leadership position on GRMC’s Board for many years, thanked Brian for his commitment and years of dedicated service to GRMC and both parties agreed that the most important consideration to focus on now would be a positive, productive transition of leadership over the next 60 days.

“Our present healthcare environment brings significant challenges to rural hospitals everywhere. Our Board along with GRMC’s Leadership Team and Caregivers are finalizing plans for the next phase of our evolution as a Community Hospital and our focus will remain on implementing the changes necessary to position GRMC to continue to meet its longstanding mission of serving the healthcare needs of our communities,” stated Garcia.

###
Joe Kellerman
Director of Marketing
Gila Regional Medical Center
(575) 538-4870

Author: Bruce
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:33 pm 
So that's the press release. Does anyone know what actually happened? Did the failed Hospital tax have anything to do with it? It doesn't seem to me that this should be cause for pressuring Brian Cunningham to leave, but perhaps he took it as a rejection of his policy and wanted someone else to deal with what he considered inadequate funding. Boards and administrators tend not to speak on these subjects, so perhaps we'll never know.

Bruce

Author: crow
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:16 am 
Bruce, so far non of my calls to anybody who might know have been answered; so at this time my wild imagination say that the typically incompetent Board of Trustees blame Brian for the failure of the 4 mill property tax increase. I have had feedback from hospital workers feeling threatened by Brian with loss of jobs if the mill levy didn't pass. If some reliable source does come through I will update.

Author: timmatthes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:08 pm 
Brian may not have been threatening the employees, but telling them the facts about the future of the hospital without approval of the mil levy. They're going to have to downsize and cut services in order to survive, and jobs will be lost.

Tim