-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
John Crow
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: crow
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:41 pm 
First thing Monday morning the left westbound lane of 180 West was closed and Stream Dynamics began work on a series of 5 water catchment basins in 2 medians between Pope and Little Walnut Road. The project should take 2 days of lane closure. In a good rain a couple of rivers flow down onto the highway from both streets. Work began at the intersection or North Pope and 180 on the median between Pope and Grant.

In the left corner of the photo is Pizza Hut, in the right is a dry cleaners with Sun Valley above and between the back hoe and the dump truck can be seen the very steep North Pope as it comes down from Sun Valley Hardware and the rental place bringing a river of water. Tuesday they will work on the median between Grant and and Little Walnut.

When the hole was dug rocks were brought to line the basin, they're just thrown in for now and Asher Gelbert does his beautiful, artful curb cut. Above Asher uses a side grinder to smooth his cuts.

Van suspends his back hoe wheels off the pavement so as to stay in his own lane and reach over that bush without damaging it.

When Van has moved on 2 from the Wellness Coalition YCC get some practice on the chop saw and cut the curb. On left YCC crew boss Calvin Sherman finishes the cut and Russell Parks steps in with a hammer and breaks out the concrete.

About 3 years ago Van proposed to the NMDOT tht this work be done but nobody had the funds and the DOT was no sure about the efficacy. But then a little over a year ago Stream Dynamics won a grant from the NMED to do 80+ water catchment/curb cuts on public right-of-ways within the Silver City Town limits/water shed. Since then with something approaching 25 proof-of-conepts the DOT cut though the red tape and gave the nod.

This is, Van wants us to know, a partnership between the NMED (money), the NMDOT (traffic control) and Stream Dynamics/Wellness Coalition YCC performing the work.

Author: lalalynda
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:26 am 
Thanks for reporting and the great pictures on this green infrastructure project. For readers who want to learn more about the complementary work of gray (concrete) and green (rocks, earth, plants) infrastructure, you can listen to Local Flavor on 6/8/2016 at 9:15am, and come to the Conversation with a Councilor and Community Development on Wed 6/8/2016 at 6pm at the WNMU Student Memorial building, 3rd floor.

Judging the efficacy of green infrastructure projects like this will come when we next get some torrential rains. We should see water streaming off the street and into the catchments in the median, to nourish the plants, get purified by the plants. and sink back into our groundwater system.

Author: JE1947
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:52 pm 
This was what I hoped I was seeing ... the city getting with more projects that will take it forward into water harvesting. This town, if nothing else, can seek grants that will allow more water harvesting in spaces such as roadway medians. In Tucson years ago, several entire neighborhoods had adopted a number of water harvesting techniques The curbs in that entire neighborhood had been cut, to allow runoff, and a number of southwest appropriate trees planted so that eventually, they'd provide more shade for these downtown hotter areas. The more vegetation planted, if done wisely, the more we can contribute to reducing global warming. But, a recent post said that the water going into the aquifer ... is I think, not much of a deal. Perhaps. Perhaps not. In the localized notion, if it slows runoff into gutters, Yankie Street, why not? If the Water Settlement fiasco ever allocates some portion of funds to water harvesting, water retention, for larger catchment basins, who is to say what the net effect will be? If water harvesting were coupled with any number of ranches I've seen with numerous out buildings, many with metal roofs, might the water caught provide water for livestock? Water that doesn't need to be pumped out OF the aquifer? There is, I think, no way to know, in the short term, what is happening by catching water.

I again can hope that one thing a community could TRY would be to seek grants to get ... a number (let's say 50) houses equipped with:
metal roofs;
water harvesting ollas;
catchment basins.

That would probably amoung to let's say, $15,000 per roof. $750,000.
Ollas, perhaps $1000. $50,000.
Catchment basins where applicable: $1400 each. $70,000.

This isn't even close to the proposed engineering cost for the diversion feasibility study.

The plans seem to just roll on for a diversion that as far as I can tell, STILL HAS NOT BE REVEALED IN TERMS OF LOCATION.

What IS the issue. This is not a National Security Agency Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Intelligence/Special Access/Cryptography
clearance issue. I think this is a b.s. flim flam game. The diversionistas know amongst themselves where they want to plan a diversion using metal & concrete; heavy construction equipment; blasting; roadways constructed or used to bring in all the construction equipment. I would say: the archaeological and cultural ramifications of any site must be considered. I would urge Native Americans who may have previously laid claim to
the Gila area, to start sending reps to these meetings. The environmental impact on species is often lamented as ridiculous for the return.

However, the Gila River She Runs. The Gila River is an entity unto herself. There are those of us who will not allow this beautiful river to be siphoned off for an idiot's plan. There are many ways to delay this. Ranchers closer to the river could ask for feasability studies if they were permitted to capture rain water, snow melt, falling on the land ... but that may be prohibited on the west side of the continental divide. That doesn't mean, however, that elsewhere in the four county area, small incremental experiments, using government grants, couldn't begin to save water from buildings.

If any of that water goes INTO the aquifer, then hydrologists may be able to calculate the gain. It would most likely be miniscule. But, we have to start somewhere besides just being pissed off receiving the idiot treatment from diversionistas (see latest meeting, reported by Silver City Press).

The city, by opening up some new catchments on the streets, has taken a laudatory step. More, if possible, of these. Again, think of Silver City and Grant County (more likely the city) being seen as a "Jewel In The Crown" of a movement that has taken root in this area. In 10 years, certainly 20, water wars are going to be fierce. A city that grows more and more sustainable by harvesting water, might attract people who have money to expand those projects. That's worth adding to websites for the City, and other environmental groups. The more people who come here for these reasons, the greater voices we have to continue the cycle.

When I hike in "Apacheria," some of the most special places I've been sooooo lucky to find (rarely ever told about them), are connected with water.
Whether Mimbréno, or archaic, or Apache, those sites might've run more with water 100. 500, 1000, 2000 years ago. They often were seen (based on my own observations of rock art near them), as "sacred." Maybe even "pilgrimage" sites. So, we strip by that in our modern arrogance ... and now, perhaps in the lifetimes of younger folks (probably not me), water wars will be opening up with a rapaciousness that will be all about: that water must come to: Tucson; Phoenix; LA; Las Vegas; etc.

I'll really be watching to see how these catchment basins will work this monsoon season. And, mine, too.

Author: crow
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:51 am 
A correction to the Water Catchment On 180 West- there are a total of 8 basins and 8 curb cuts. According to Stream Dynamic work will be ongoing for some time to fully complete the job but they are functional as is.