-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
John Crow
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: crow
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:58 pm 
Monday morning brought 2 local anti Smart meter groups and other interested people to the front doors of the Silver City Town Hall. The protesters are concerned about such issues as adding to the current atmospheric load of EMF (electromagnetic frequency aka RF radio frequency), increased water and electric bill, privacy, fires and health from both the AMR Water Meters and the proposed AMI (Smart) electric meters.

While there a man approached the group and stated that his water bill had increased from $40 to $100 and a woman piped up and said her bill had increased from $69 to $89. (I'll ask again as I did in my March 24 article that some installers may be leaving water leaks at the meter and now I can report that the leak I reported to the Town 3 weeks ago has not been fixed).

This sign indicates displeasure at paying $46 per month to not get the smart electric meter.

The 2 groups organizing the demonstration/opposition are:
SEED (Securing Economic and Energy Democracy and
CAUS (Citizen Alliance for Utility Safty

This action was in solidarity with New Energy Economy and friends demonstration at the PRC office in Santa Fe.

Author: frances
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:41 am 
My bill went from slightly higher than $50 (total with sewer/trash etc) to $45 with the new meter. I had no expectations either way and it will be interesting to see next month's bill. I had started some garden watering and expected the bill to be higher.

Author: riverwalkwoman
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:49 am 
http://emfsafetynetwork.org/vermont-legislature-bans-smart-meter-opt-out-fees/

Vermont legislation has outlawed any utility company, (state wide) from charging any opt-out fees whatsoever.
Opting out is 100% free.

Author: JE1947
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:26 pm 
Vermont is more liberal than NM by far.
Opt out fees ... makes sense ... but then the current owners need to be required to notify potential buyers of the home what the deal might be if
buyers want to buy a house where there are higher fees to check old meters.
While I am not condoning what PNM does, it is a utility and the days when utilities were more carefully monitored by "watch dog federal agencies" ended when Ronnie Ray Gun began purging various federal agencies designed to "watch out" for us.
Those days are long gone.
Perhaps, if a Democrat is elected in 2017, and Obama and they get a chance to nominate one or more jurists for the Supremes, some of those federal watchdog capabilities might be restored.
The infrastructure of the U.S. as seen on American Association of Civil Engineers is in horrible shape.
The Power Grid is one of the larger areas that need massive infrastructural enhancements to the tune of BILLIONS.
I don't know what the answer.
Again, when I prioritize what can make me crazy, sterile, or forgetful that has microwave or various other sources of energy that I USE, it seems to me, the pernicious cell phone is at the top of the list, not electric meters or water meters.
It would seem impossible in the current context, to demand that all of the costs are born by utility, if they seek to modernize the grid. But, likewise, charging significant fees to install the meter, and then service it, should be spread out for the current owners ... over a year or more.
For those who think these devices are so dangerous to their health that they don't want them, then I guess the utility has a right to say: o.k. No opt out fees, but yes, we will charge you more to read the old meters. One or the other.
The modernized power grid that will be able to absorb solar, wind, biomass energy won't come cheaply.
I think one Party in Congress has so little belief in climate change or global warming, that they resemble those who felt the earth was flat.
As the climate changes, and more digital devices are integrated into these various grids, it seems that there are cogent reasons why the snowball is
coming one way or another.
But, hey, what do I know.
Thank you all who don't share this view; don't want these devices; have valid reasons why not. We are lucky in Silver City to have so many people who know these things ... for keeping us informed ... sharing their knowledge.