-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
John Crow
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: crow
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:07 pm 
On February 26 PNM filed a request with the NM PRC to switch their 530,000 electric customers to Smart Meters. These smart meters will utilize a wide area network (WLAN) aka mesh network in the 900 megahertz range and cellular connections to both send electric usage over the air to PNM headquarters but also allow headquarters to control electric supply (remote on/off switch) and consumption rate (Load) of individual customers.

PNM wants a guarantee from the PRC that its customers can be billed not only for the cost of new $87 million meter system but also for the old, still viable system (still worth $33 million) though no longer in use over a 20 year period. PNM states in their PRC filing that if they don't get this promise from the PRC they will not switch to the Smart Meter system (AMI). PNM includes a $5 million lost worker severance package and $1.5 million customer education program to be billed to its customers.

"Q- WILL PNM INSTALL AMI IF THE COMMISSION DOES NOT AUTHORIZE COST RECOVERY FOR THE PROJECT AND THE REGULATORY ASSETS?

A- No. If the Commission does not authorize the regulatory assets and the future capital investments requested in this filing PNM will not proceed with AMI"

PNM Opt-Out provisions: Industry research estimates an opt-out rate of .5 of 1%

"11. Automated Meter Readinq Infrastructure ("AMI") Monthly Opt-Out Fee - If a customer chooses to opt-out of receiving an AMI meter at any time, then a monthly charge of $46.96 will be assessed by the Company to cover the costs associated with manually reading the meter.

12. AMI One-Time Opt-Out Fee (Initial Deployment) - If a customer chooses to opt-out of receiving an AMI meter during PNM’s initial deployment of AMI, then a one-time charge of $35.00 will be assessed by the Company to cover the cost of administering the opt-out request.

13. AMI One-Time Opt-Out Fee - If a customer requests replacement of an AMI meter with a conventional meter after the AMI meter has been installed then a one-time charge of $60.00 will be assessed by the Company to cover the costs of removing the AMI meter, installing a conventional meter, and reinstalling the AMI meter after the customer terminates service."

PNM is requesting that the PRC make a decision within 9 months so that they may begin the process by January 2017 if approved.

Over the past few years PNM has been installing digital meters, pictured above, in select areas in all of their service areas. These meters are currently set up to read by a hand held receiver carried by a meter reader (AMR) in his monthly rounds but their wireless transmissions (AMI) can be turned on at any time. If the PRC approves the plan then PNM will install the routers and network range extenders in neighborhoods and 3 database systems in their office locations, one to receive meter readings, another to control the system and meters and one to provide costumer viewing of bills and make payments. Once these have been installed than the current digital AMR meters will have their AMI enabled to test the overall system, if all goes as planned the remainder the customers will have new meters installed by early 2019.

These digital meters, pictured above typically have printed just below the digital display these letters and numbers: "Itron CL200 240V 3W Type CIS 30TA 1.0KH"

Itron, the maker; Class 200; 240 Volts; 3 wire; CIS, (PNM’s Customer Information System); 30 test amps; 1.0 kilowatt hour.

Author: susport
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:04 pm 
Crow,
Thanks for the heads up on this. May I ask how you discovered that this is in the works?
Susan

Author: elektron
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:50 pm 
I can't speak for Crow, but just for myself. It was a significant story in the Albuquerque Journal, which I get online. Good paper. The editor is a graduate of Silver High, WNMU, and UNM law school.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:05 pm 
Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:24 pm 
KRQE also did a story which I thought was more like an infomercial couched as a news story. The Albuquerque Journal article was better but they incorrectly stated that PNM would see an $81 million saving but the PRC filing put that number at $20 million over 20 years (the life of the meters).

For those wishing to read the PRC filing by PNM it is case # 15-00312, it requires a username and password which you get when you call PRC Melanie at (505)827-6968 and also ask for the path to the file and have your browser open because the path is rather convoluted; it is only 244 pages long.

Author: YelloJeep
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:11 am 
Yikes!

...sri Blue :)

"SmartMeters" is a mini-series?!

Who knew?

I need... Image

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Author: mirocook
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:37 pm 
Looks like the opt-out option is not an option unless you have money to burn. A first time fee of 81.96 and a monthly surcharge of 46.96 seems prohibitive for most people I know.

Anyone wanting to file a complaint can do so with The NM Public Regulation Commission. The District 5 Commissioner is Sandy Jones. sandy.jones@state.nm.us or write him at 1120 Paseo De Peralta, P.O. Box 1269 Santa Fe NM 87504 505 827 8020

Author: gorwest
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:15 pm 
You'd think if it will save them $47 a month, they could afford to pay for changing them out on their own dime.

Author: ynotwrite2
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:42 pm 
as with others who have posted on the issue of smart meters, I have found that the science of electromagnetic radiation seems to not be a part of the common knowledge possessed by my fellows.
notions such as the inverse square law, the difference between energy and power, how energy is absorbed by bodies of varying conductance.
at each instance of an electrical device being turned on or off by you, your hand is less than 1 inch from a short burst of radio frequency emission.
if you live where television signals can be received by an antenna or rabbit ears...this is a little antenna that would ordinarily reside atop the television, the waves are significantly in excess of what any smart meter would subject you to, even if you were to have it next to you on your queen size bed.
likewise cell phones.
look through the statistics about the causes of death and injury in our United States
Please!
pick one higher on the list, and work assiduously to remove or decrease it !
fight with PNM over its plan to continue burning coal for the next 20 something years.
struggle with government to push for energy conservation, and the elimination of fossil fuels from your own life as well as from the public sphere.
you should understand well by now that North Korea and Pakistan have atomic bombs.
if the people of the world don't tackle warming of the climate in all likelihood the pressure of arable land loss, swamping of coastal cities will create an intolerable burden on the poor and the poor nations will lash out at the rest of us.
imagine the nativist pressures now abundant in the US and Europe at the threat of a few hundred thousand humans multiplied a hundred fold.
now my fellow bloggers go back to the smart meter.

Author: Bruce
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:44 pm 
If PNM wants to have all its meters networked on a WiFi grid, I think the cost should be that they provide free WiFi to the the whole town. It doesn't seem like this should be technically difficult. They would have to have the grid to connect between the meters, so why shouldn't they make those connections available to all of us? If they don't want to do this for us, we shouldn't want them to do it for themselves.

Bruce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:52 am 
This is an interesting blog post approaching the smart grid issue from a different perspective.
http://smartgridawareness.org/2014/02/1 ... cription-2
If you click on the link "submittal" in the text it will take you to the actual documents submitted by Northeast Utilities to the Department of Public Utilities.
The blog post is shorter and easier to get through if you don't want to read through the actual submittal.
Susan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:05 am 
Bruce,
the network envisioned by the electric co, does not use Wi-Fi or the customary wi-fi frequencies, 2.4 ghz or 5.8 ghz.
I feel little sympathy for my local electric provider, but being aware of electric utility's efforts in the past to provide data services, I don't reasonably expect they'd be better at it now than they've been in the past.
we will be likely better served in the long run by letting google, Verizon, Comcast, facebook battle it out... with the usually necessary slaps on the wrist delivered by the FCC (hopefully)

Susan,
with what I know about electricity, i'd say that many interesting points are raised.
ultimately the battle over the various issues involved will come down to:
savings to be had by demand side management.
right now most utilities do little to manage demand for electricity during peak use episodes, shedding the loads of large industrial users who are willing to get interruptable power at a much reduced rate. there would be a benefit, especially here in the southwest in being able to shut off all the electric heaters, refrigerators and air conditioners for as little a 10 or 15 minutes to shave peak loads during hot summer days or for an emergency outage.

the second shoe has dropped!
Tesla Motors announced a while back a box with batteries, computer, and charging and inverting circuits that attaches to the wiring in your house, business.., that receives energy from solar electric panels and then decides where to send it. to loads in your place, to the batteries, or from the batteries to the utility, your loads or to your electric car.
just a few days ago an Australian company announced a similar unit that cost about half of Tesla's.
these 2 devices can easily be thought of as opening shots in a stupendous battle that will emerge between the various economic groups over who will provide the electrical energy to the customer, and from where I sit , the utility model with the giant generating plant ,miles away from the load, their managers, wed to legal wrangling rather than innovation could get their due.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:19 am 
one of the potent factors that might ultimately tip the balance in favor of local generation is the 8% of electricity lost in transmission, according to our own PNM.

Author: Bill
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:33 pm 
Seems like they are asking us to pay more so that someday we can pay less (because the meter readers will be laid off). I think if put to a vote most people would vote against. Especially since the new meters will have capacitors and such that go bad, not like the old mechanical meters that keep on going...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:20 am 
aside from PNM you might want to ask your local elected officials in the Town of Silver City and Grant County why they and their administrators haven't entered the fray over PNM's various proposals, including jacking up the monthly rate from $5.00 to over $12.00.
might it be that they will see an increase in franchise tax of 5% and the Gross Receipts tax of 7.3%, a hefty chunk of change.
in the case of the town, I've heard that their sustainability dept. which used to employ 4 people is now down to 2 was told that any proposal coming from there must be revenue neutral.
its almost equivalent to the climate change deniers in its effect.

Author: riverwalkwoman
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:31 pm 
I do not believe everything I read--especially with the current, overabundance of online trash. However, I read from a fairly reliable source that the newly installed water meters have an expected longevity of approximately 10-12 years, while the old, analogue meters were made to maintain proper function for 85 years or more.

Admittedly I have not checked when the town will (or perhaps already has) fully complete payments for all related costs for the new little monsters. Wondering if they will be totally paid for before we need to start replacing them. In addition to the many gritty, dust storms about heath and privacy, assuming the above stats have basic truth to them, many new questions rise about the next round of Town Water Meter "upgrades." What then?

daffs, iris blooms & lilac buds,
rww

Author: timmatthes
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:29 pm 
From what I've read, analog water meters have to be replaced at around the 20 year point because they become less accurate over time. They work a lot longer than that, but it's more cost effective to replace them than to lose income because of low readings. I think the town had reached the point that they had to make a major investment in meters one way or another.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:58 am 
the parts of the water meter that wear out:
mechanical ones have a water wheel (propeller ) that drives a set of gears, all of which have bearings that wear over time.
electronic ones have a cheap module with a water wheel that has just 2 bearings and a magnetic sensor driving the counting module, which , if properly designed, could easily last 50+ years and still be as accurate as the day it was built, and if containing a radio for remote reading could also reasonably last 50+ years. both of these units cost little compared to the body of the meter.
of course , without more technical info, it would be difficult to do a reasonable cost- benefit analysis.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:51 am 
Just so you guys all know:
There will be a Public Demonstration Protesting PNM Smart-grid Electric Meter Program.
Monday April 11th 10 AM-11:45 AM Silver City Hall, Bullard & Broadway.
Come and join fellow citizens concerned about the PNM proposed electric smart-meter program currently being discussed in Santa fe. Alert your local elected officials that this program is not cost-effective, has potential health hazards, is an invasion of privacy, and is being forced on our communities without our explicit consent! Take Back Your Power! Sponsored by CAUS (Citizens Alliance for Utility Safety) www.smartmeterfreesilvercity.org

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:35 pm 

The dangerous, carcinogenic and powerful transmitters in the city's new buried water meters are a threat to animals, particularly dogs on lead for their walks. Here is one possible solution, essential for any well-dressed, low-slung basset hound. Were this a taller dog, a tin foil hat would also be advisable to protect the dog from dangerous transmitters in the new, above-ground PNM meters.

Author: JE1947
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:49 am 
Yes, I think that the tongue in cheek statement regarding the attire dog owners should equip their animals with, whether low slung, very small, or large, is appropriate. If the information provided about the dangers of the energy emanating from these two new devices, is correct, animals could be badly affected. Perhaps some one locally could develop animal friendly "gear" if they pass along city streets and, if correct, will be exposed to the harmful radiation. I guess for now, we humans are on our own.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:28 am 
earlier in this thread, someone said; work on the things that matter.
ask yourself :
I go to a meeting and sit next to someone who has a phone in their pocket. It is a foot from your hip.
It works just like a so called smart meter. every few moments it sends a pulse of radiation to the environment and through your torso on its way to a cell phone tower.
So you are battling against an enemy who has already eaten your lunch.
typing on your computer to blog here?
Same story!
turn off a light?
incandescent, CFL, LED?
once again you're screwed! your hand is just inches from an electromagnetic pulse hundreds of times larger than those meters will subject you to.
Listen to your favorite radio station?
how far from your body is the radio?
Omygod! screwed again!
Don't go out in the sun! its the worst. it actually continuously emits a stream of energy far in excess of any energy you would get except for sticking your head in the oven or holding your hand on the door of an operating microwave oven.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:59 am 
And for those sensitive to electromagnetic radiation, it's important you not go to stores with automatic sliding doors. These often use radar sensors that wash signal all over your body as you enter and exit. Worse are the anti-theft radio panels that cover you with radio signals, both as you enter and exit the doors of a store. (Wal-Mart uses them.) These devices leak RF into the store, too. As we have experienced, these shoplifting panels set off an alarm if the resonant shoplifting tag hasn't been disabled at checkout. Then there are all the microwave radio links used by PNM at their office on Swan and all their substations. These signals saturate nearby homes, schools, churches, roads and hapless passersby. Then there are cell towers. As mentioned earlier there is the 900 MHz studio-to-transmitter link affecting customers at the food coop, but there's another one next to Jalisco's. Therefore, Bullard Street is off limits. And don't forget policemen. They blast your car (and your face) with radar to see if you are speeding. And cable TV. These coax lines all over town and in your home leak digital RF in the VHF and UHF spectrums. It's a long list.

Author: mabaraba
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:26 am 
For those that care to look into whether Smart Meters really are less dangerous than cell phones....

http://www.electrosmogprevention.org/pu ... es-hirsch/

"Hirsch provides the average exposure, equivalent to the full body exposure from 100 cell phones. This completely debunks the Tell Associates report, which was paid for by Pacific Gas & Electric."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:17 pm 
Gosh. Well, if it's on the Internet, it must be true!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:02 am 
Hirsch, a researcher and professor at UC San Diego in that other kind of radiation, presents a compelling argument in his analysis of a 2010 study requested by the California Legislature. The study compared exposure from cell phones, microwave ovens, smart meters, wifi routers and radio/television. My problem is that the study is now 6 years old and used studies many years older and most of the technology is now vastly different.

The opponents need studies that are current with today's technology, for example the study being critiqued used the emissions of a cell phone with a 3 inch antenna at the ear and side of the head like my first 1997 cell when current cell phones have a tiny antenna near the microphone at the speakers mouth.

And don't even get me started in the numbers game with power density in watts per square centimeter and SAR (measured in Watts per Kilogram body weight) and......

Author: Jean Eisenhower
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:44 am 
Prevention Magazine article - http://www.prevention.com/health/health ... z22iUSKV5z - begins:

In 1990, the city of La Quinta, CA, proudly opened the doors of its sparkling new middle school. Gayle Cohen, then a sixth-grade teacher, recalls the sense of excitement everyone felt: "We had been in temporary facilities for 2 years, and the change was exhilarating." But the glow soon dimmed. One teacher developed vague symptoms—weakness, dizziness—and didn't return after the Christmas break. A couple of years later, another developed cancer and died; the teacher who took over his classroom was later diagnosed with throat cancer. More instructors continued to fall ill, and then, in 2003, on her 50th birthday, Cohen received her own bad news: breast cancer. "That's when I sat down with another teacher, and we remarked on all the cancers we'd seen," she says. "We immediately thought of a dozen colleagues who had either gotten sick or passed away." By 2005, 16 staffers among the 137 who'd worked at the new school had been diagnosed with 18 cancers, a ratio nearly 3 times the expected number. Nor were the children spared: About a dozen cancers have been detected so far among former students. A couple of them have died.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:53 am 
cancer clusters do not causation make.

scientific understanding or magic ?

I can't decide for you.

Imperfect alternatives exist each day, and often enough, sifting through intuition, facts, believable facts, innuendo, just plain noise you get to or have to decide which path to take on this journey.

Author: n2ic
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:37 pm 
I see that Jean Eisenhower has selectively chosen an article about the La Quinta middle school cancer scare from 2011, rather than using more recent information.

Here's one from 6 months ago:
http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/edu ... /31668059/

"A state study of La Quinta Middle School has found normal levels of cancer in the school community, debunking claims that the school’s electrical system has poisoned students and teachers.

The California Cancer Registry tallied all cancer patients in the school’s enrollment area from 2006 to 2012, but found only average amounts of invasive cancers. This new study reaffirms the findings of a similar study from 2006, which found normal cancer levels among school employees."