-Gila Region Community News, Calendar, Forum-

Reader Supported Silver City News & SW New Mexico, Grant County NM, Gila NF
* Login   * Register

* FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

News     Columns     Food: Growing, Fixing     Features     Water     Health     Business     Education     DIY & How-tos     Classifieds     Forum     Home 

Silver City Food Coop

We Are Reader Supported
Your recurring contribution goes to support the Forum, Calendar, and Email List, which exists to further local, sustainable, place-based community.
MONTHLY RECURRING GIFT
    Bill Me Now For: $

ONE-TIME GIFT
Bill Me Now For: $

You may also mail a check or cash to
John Crow
PO Box 1792
Silver City, N.M. 88062

Get your ad here

Author ------ Message
 Author: crow
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:46 pm 
Wednesday morning the deck of the south bound lanes and sidewalk got underway. Today marks 8 days before the crew hopes to have the north bound lanes and sidewalk open. Though a scheme had been floated to do the whole length in one day, that would have been about 800 cubic yards of concrete, they did make it halfway and will finish Friday, or so the plan is.

Author: bdlb
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:33 pm 
The weather's been good to them

Author: JE1947
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:03 am 
I've been down there twice, speaking with various crew, including two of the NMDOT folks.They were just shy of the desired second pour. The sub contractor that had the concrete pouring job had equipment breakdowns. If they had to suffer a penalty, because they didn't have their equipment functioning, that is one way the main contractor loses control on the deadline. The weather has been good. There have been as many as 30 men working the job. They have worked many hours on certain days. I see no slacking going on. The workers appear to be very professional and go at it. I noticed that many speak Spanish. This may confirm that across the country, Hispanics have filled many construction jobs. I don't know what their status is, but when one thinks of the absolute trash that Donald Trump has been spewing about mass deportations, it leaves me feeling embarrassed. These workers are doing their utmost to make that deadline happen. I've watched many construction projects ... always fascinating. That we have a Presidential candidate whose shown the most cruel, hateful rhetoric that's been seen for decades ... maybe never for a Presidential candidate ... it leaves me wondering ... the leaders of that same Party have stood lockstep (including Pearce), against raising new revenue. **It's not important to me what their status is, by the way.

The link to the Association of American Civil Engineers has information on what amounts to a $4-7 Trillion shortfall in infrastructure work. 66,000 bridges across the country 42 years old or more. This was one of them.

The $7 million or so for the project has been cycled into our economy many times.These guys, many of them, stay locally as they've been working so hard. I followed them down last Saturday to a small eating place at the corner of Hudson and Broadway. Cash money for the food, drinks. That $7 million more than likely gets recirculated several more times locally before it heads on out. Hopefully, the GOP will lose and lose big. If so, maybe the era of squeezing out every dime possible from the non-Defense related budget, and hateful games like trying to shut down the government to stop funding for Planned Parenthood, will cease. **As if there's no connection between that obstructionist rhetoric and actions in Congress and the 11 people who've been killed working Planned Parenthood. Not too mention, a Party that won't agree to any curbs on assault weapons.

Countries that are also world leaders like ours have more ways than one to be "great." An infrastructure that works and is modern is one.

Ours has always been to be a place where immigrants WANT to come. This time, so far, the hate Trump spews HAS NOT been sufficient for the GOP to cut him lose. They want to win, and are complicit in what the backlash has been.

Comprehensive immigration reform ... that would be one thing the Party could offer to counter balance the hate ... but they've steadfastly refused to promise that. My great-great-great grandfather, and mother(s) came from Ireland in 1822. John Eagan (pronounced Aagan), was a brick layer who worked on the Eire Canal. Eagan;s; Roaches; Gannons; Corbets; Dowes; Mehaffies; Planks; Costenborders; other Irishmen, Germans, French, men and women may have heard hateful comments about the Irish. Many immigrants who've come here have been trashed. It's nothing new. What's new has been threat of being "rounded up," "interned," deported, and now, "registered" along the lines of religion. That's new. Maybe in Parade City, we should have one for our immigrant heritage. And for the Native Americans who were here before we got here. What a cruel thing to do to other human beings (to instill fear, anxiety, uncertainty) who are right here, working among us.

The deadline is close. I'm not going to have a baby because they're a few days or even a week or two late ... in the Midwest, the weather would've been a spoiler. I've thanked them (face to face) for their efforts and understand that in construction, deadlines are rarely met. Soon enough, there will be a new bridge there, and for whatever reason, I'm grateful we've had the luck to see this bridge done. Photos available upon request. A simple handshake and thank you might make them feel good.

Author: GCResident
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:25 pm 
Wow.......I don't think I have ever seen an update on a bridge project turn into a political topic.

(I will have to remember to add that to my list of things to not talk about around the Thanksgiving table.....Politics, Religion and Construction)

But....since we are on the topic......if Obama gets his way then we will soon have 10,000 Syrians that will need jobs, I bet they have awesome construction skills!

(Oh but wait.....they will have to do nothing in this country...except sit back and enjoy free healthcare, free drivers licenses, free food, free utilities, in this Utopian country ......((Feel the Bern!?))......while folks like me with a "real" job struggle to put my kids through school and pay for my "affordable" healthcare.)

Author: crow
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:22 am 
GCResident, yeah and all Mexicans are rapists, drug dealer and freeloaders like Trump says, really, hasn't anybody mentioned that fear and blame of immigrants is a firm step towards fascism? Read history. I suppose you also support our and our fellow bullies march through the middle east that has created 10's of millions of refugees as long as them people don't come here and as long as they don't come here and compete for our low wage exploitative jobs that make it hard to raise kids and pay our the bills; this is a problem not caused by immigrants but by fearful workers unwilling to stand up and demand our fair share of the proceeds we generate.

Is it 4 or 5 countries now bombing Syria? Isn't that cool. Is it 4 million Syrian refugees now? We better not see even 10,000 here, funny that you don't protest the billions we spend to murder so many for the profits of the war profiteers and their government employees rather than investing in our own infrastructure and education. But hey, Trump will fix your problems and wall us in and them out.

Author: timothius
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:31 am 
Well! So much for the bridge.